Friday, 24 April 2009

1930s Dresden Plate

Sherri at A Quilting Life is lucky enough to be finishing a quilt her g.g. grandmother started and when I saw it I left a comment to say that it was very like one that I bought about 12/13 years ago, even to the colour she was using for the borders. I said that I would post some pictures for her - so here they are. The light isn't very good in the spare front bedroom, which is why my dresden lives there, it sits on the bed until one of the grandchildren comes to stay, then off it comes and the good old 'doona' goes on.
It's a really lovely buttery yellow and the plates are obviously scraps. A few of them are very worn (about 20 individual pieces), but I have made the decision not to mend them, I just love them the way they are. It's been well used and well loved I think and it has a gentle retirement where I get to just admire the needlework of the woman who stitched this many years before I was born.....and boy, that was a while ago!


I just love that the colours are still so strong and vibrant for the most part, there are a couple that have faded and now look like plain homespun.







I love this quilt and whenever I put linen away in this room, I find myself just running my hand over the bed just to feel the beautiful texture of it.





I feel very lucky and privileged to be the custodian of this piece of someone else and unlike Sherri I don't know the story of my quilt, I wish I did.

4 comments:

Sandra @ Pepperberry and Co. said...

Wow! What a gorgeous piece of history. You are very lucky to have it! :-)

Linda said...

What a beauty, I think I'd be running my hand over it at every opportunity too.

Sherri said...

What a gorgeous treasure! Thanks so much for posting the pictures...and you're right...the yellow is the same shade of yellow as is on mine!

Karen said...

That is one beautiful quilt! I must get back to my Dresden quilt. The last time I did any hand quilting was before Christmas.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin