Thursday, 16 April 2009

A bit of black thread.............

Yesterday I visited my lovely Mum in Geelong, she has just turned 80 and is coming to terms with her Alziemers and can have a good laugh with Dad (82) about the things she does sometimes. What she is having real trouble with handling is the fact that her arthritis in her fingers makes it no longer possible for her to do hand sewing. Some of my very first memories are of Mum sewing, she made all my clothes and my brothers too, until they got old enough to want shop bought. But for me, her only daughter, she kept sewing. I can vividly recall walking in to the house on a Friday afternoon and stating that I needed something new to wear out the next night. The next day the dress, skirt, pants would be ready to go, and not just for me but my best friend had to have the same thing, (the sixties, were awash with girls wearing the same clothes it seems) so she would have produced two tiny mini dresses replete with sequins or two pair of hipster pants with halter tops to match. Amazing. And of course with the arrogance of youth, I totally took this wonderful service for granted. So I would like to say now.........Thank you Mum, I don't know how you put up with me!...............
Anyway, the point of this story is that Mum has sewed with needle and thread all her life. When there was nobody left to sew for, she took up embroidery again and occupied her fingers that way for many years. She has produced embroidered wool cot blankets for all her great grandchildren (13 to date) as they were born, many a happy recipient has a cross stitch on their wall and her 'stump work' embroidery was amazing, but for the last couple of years her fingers won't do what she asks of them and she has had to pack her embroidery cottons and needles away. BUT such is the 'stashing away' gene so ingrained into crafters of every persuasion that when I said to her yesterday "Do you by any chance have some black embroidery cotton to save me going into the shopping centre"?...........
out she goes to her 'shed', opens a cupboard and lo and behold four shelves of containers all full of cottons! They might find a cure for arthritis you know!!
Now not only did she have a 'bit' of black dmc cotton, she gave me the container pictured because it only had 'doubles' in it. But the rest of this long story is that not only did she have four shelves of just cottons and threads, they are every one of them sorted like this one! Labeled, sorted in desending order, the outside of the container labeled with numbers from and to, whether they are metallic, dmc, wool, silk or space floss for all I know. So have a look at her beautifully ordered box then scroll down to my filing for threads!!! I admit, she's shamed me into it, while I was out this morning I bought some little cards for thread and a couple of boxes, I'll let you know how I get on!!



I know, shameful hey..........

So when I had finished the grocery shopping this morning, I thought I would just pop across the road to
Ballarat Patchwork and have a little look at what was new :-)



Aren't the colours just fabulous, I'm just going to feast my eyes on them until I finish some things and then....well, who knows?

4 comments:

Sandra @ Pepperberry and Co. said...

Oh, my goodness- that fabric is fabulous! I've heard rumours that Ballarat Patchwork is beautiful but now I'm definitely checking it out for myself. I might just have to drive down there sometime soon!

P.S. A mum of four and a grandma of eight! You must be one busy little lady :-)

Linda said...

Such a shame your mum's fingers won't do what she wants them to, but how sweet of her to give you those lovely threads, had a giggle at your pile.... Very yummy fabrics.

Fiona said...

I cannot imagine how it would be if I could not stitch - I don't think that I would give up hope either. I used to have my threads like that but I use Madeira now and they are just on a holder. I will take a pic and show you - I am totally converted to madeira threads now - I like that thye don't tangle.

The fabric is gorgeous....

Khris said...

ohh you got some gorgeous fabric there...love it..hugs Khris

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin