A few days ago I had a little accident involving my arm and a hot stove. What I did exactly was hit the inside of my wrist on the edge of the fire door of the wood stove, and yes it was quite nasty. But it was one of those things that hurt like hell for a while, then was just something to whinge about to anyone that would listen basically. I put a dressing on it because it rubbed on my clothes and you know what burns are like, annoying. Anyway to cut a long story short, I ended up at the old Doc's because my arm is now badly infected. Seems that I didn't think about how deep it was and that it had soot in it.
The moral of this story is:
Even if we think we are 'grown ups', we should still treat anything we do to ourselves as if it's one of the kids!!
If it was one of my four or a grandchild, the least would have been a trip to the chemist if not the doctors to "just have it checked". Because I'm 'grown up' I just brushed it aside. Won't do that again. I should just about have finished the barrage of antibiotics and such by the time I head off for W.A.