Sunday, 26 July 2009

All the Fun of the Fair.......

How amazing is this city of Melbourne in the winter?
I don't come down to the city very much, maybe three or four times a year (that's in a good year) but the last couple of times I have been amazed at the changes in this city by the bay!
Jeff's Shed, AKA The Melbourne Exhibition Centre, what a fabulous setting with the Yarra flowing past. When Jen and I were there on Thursday, her lovely man came down during his lunch hour so we could sit outside and have a coffee together. As he was walking over the bridge you can see in this photo below, to go back to work, there were three dolphins swimming beneath, heading up the Yarra. Sad to say, we had cameras he didn't. He saw them, we didn't!
I love the Melbourne skyline, with a clear winter blue sky behind I couldn't resist this garden in the sky!!



Anyway, on with the show............or to be precise The Craft & Quilt Fair.
Jen and I went on Thursday and had a wonderful day. It was lovely to meet some other bloggers there, Cathy from Cabbage Quilts, Bronwyn of Whippet Good and Lurline from Lurline's Place.
It was also Jen's first visit to a craft fair of any kind and she was quite blown away with the quilt show. She did make a couple of purchases to start her off, so some very pleasant teaching coming up. We had a great day (apart from a few transport woes) and went home tired but happy.
I on the other hand went back again on Saturday as there were a couple of things that I wished I had bought on Thursday but of course didn't. So, this is my all together stash of things that I bought over the two days.
Above, some Sandcastle fabric and Antique linen for stitching, a little kit for a Japanese purse (I actually bought two of these), a couple of pieces of wool for experimenting. Then I found the lovely Hatched and Patched kits for little woollen pin cushions so I just had to have a couple of those too ;0)
Some John James embroidery needles, marking pencil and fabric glue sticks and the little 'needle threader dogs'. Did anybody else buy these? I bought a couple for mum as well.
I also bought this fabulous thread, it's by Rae's Rags, I just loved the colours. I don't know what I will use it on yet but I'm sure something will come up!

Then I bought this from here......................................


It's just beautiful, if you go visit their website the home page has this quilt and the story of it right there.
The Civil War Bride Quilt is Corliss Searcey's interpretation of 'The Bird of Paradise Quilt Top' c.1858-1863, and is in the American Folk Art Museum in New York City. Go here to read the story, it's fascinating.
Soooooo, I guess I'll be appliqueing for the next few years!!!!!!!!!!
I bought the starter pack of fabric along with the fabric for the background. I loved it so much that I wanted to make it the same.
When I've finished Sam's quilt and Mum and Dad's anniversary quilt I will cut the background squares and begin to do one square at a time, that will be my night time sewing in front of the fire!! Wish me luck.
I did buy some other fabric yesterday and I will show you those VERY extravagant purchases later. Shhhhhhhhssssssss, I was very wicked again, just a little hint - whole lines!!!!!!!!!!!
Right, now I'm off to make a sandwich for lunch then do some stitching on Sam's quilt, I have to finish that first. I figure if I make a concerted effort I should be able to finish it by the end of the month!!!!!!!! Eeeekkkk, gotta go stitch.






10 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi Lizzi, I loved meeting you and Jen last Thursday, I hope we can meet up again sometime, somewhere!!! Lovely to see your haul from the show...I LOVE that applique quilt pattern, will watch you do this with interest. I hope Jen enjoys her first steps into the quilting world xo

Kathie said...

I am looking forward to getting that pattern and making this quilt too
I have always admired the antique quilt and just so happy that someone made a pattern from it.
great pictures in this post!
Loved seeing the pattern so close and clear, thanks can't wait to see your first block started, keep us posted
what did you buy for the background????
Kathie

Lorraine said...

So envious & so far away !!
Love all your goodies .

Francien said...

Lovely pictures Lizzie!! looks like you had a good trip...saw the pictures and the storys on the other "girls" blogs...and another "addict"!! Jen wil be hooked now...what a lovely pincushions you are going to make...love those roundones...I am working on one now...Never heard of a needle treader dog...but they look good...maybe its easyer to get the thread in the needle...it needs some time to do that when i do it now...need the loupe to look true...even with my ( new) glasses...so please tell if they are handy...the thread and the fabric...just awesome...you have set yourself some goal there with the beautyful applique quilt...no more "dont know what to do"days and evenings for you...i sure wish you luck with that one....i love antique quilts...cant wait to see your shhhhhhhhssssssss- fabric..you cant wait to start the new quilt..right??!!You did good in Melbourne girl!!
greetings Francien.

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hi lovely Lizzie!! :-)

I almost went to the show on Saturday as well, what a pity I didn't email you last week otherwise we could have met up! Never mind, there will be other times! :-)

I absolutely adore the little pincushion kits! I just love that wool felt! I wish I had have gone now! he he he...

Oh, and the reproduction quilt is just divine! Drooooooool !

Hugs and love!
Vikki xxxxxxx

Maree said...

Lovely goodies from the fair...oh my that Civil War Quilt is Spectacular...so much detail..so many pieces...will be looking forward to seeing your progress...

Sweet P said...

What wonderful purchases! I hope you enjoy making the quilt.

Fiesta said...

I don't see a link for that beautiful pattern. Would you mind sharing the source?

Karen said...

Love the thread and that is one beautiful pattern.

Di said...

That Civil War Bride pattern looks stunning - I can't wait to see your progress!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin