Sunday, 12 July 2009

Everybody has to start somewhere...........

........that's what Julia said this morning. I was wishing her luck with her first quilt on her quilting machine and I told her that I had done my very first piece of machine quilting. That's not 100% true, I have done it before, but never with something that I thought I might keep. Just practice pieces that were never even destined to be a pot holder!! Yes, they were that bad!


However, I think I might keep this one :0) I knew all the time that I would have to get this right, even when I was chewing my fingers as I sat there, needle poised, foot on pedal still hesitating!!!

Yes, you may well laugh (and I know you are), but I have never, ever, ever been able to pass muster as far as machine quilting goes.


Enough negativity, I did this last night and yes it's all straight lines, but I couldn't have been more pleased with myself if these were the most intricate feathers!!!


It's really one of those things that if you've failed before, then you can never get it right again. Even if you don't try again, you know in your own mind that it won't work.


It's just easier to say, nope, can't machine quilt, prefer to hand quilt, excuse, excuse, excuse!!!



So, it's not world breaking news, the sun still came up (I think it did, the clouds are pretty thick) and I still do love to hand quilt. But I might have my bag finished by tonight instead of the end of the week. That's the reason I dodged the rain drops to take the photos outside - just so I could post and boast!!





While I was outside and the rain had temporarily abated, I thought that I could get a half decent pic of Mum & Dads quilt. Still quite dark but the colours are nearly true, the little bare birch got in the way a bit and the rebel wind just teased the corner as I pressed the shutter, but you get the picture (oops, sorry), it's looking OK. I'm pleased with the way it's going now. I'm looking at it for today before I decide about the next border, a dark colour I think and then a dark binding.
It will be a good size for them to handle, it should just fit over the back of the sofa without any folding across and the length should be long enough for dad's long legs to be warm and cosy.

While I was sat here writing this post, this little Rosella came for a Sunday lunch outside my window. They love the sweet, juicy rose hips (I might add they also love the new growth in spring), there isn't much seed around for them at this time of the year so we leave the rose hips for them to have a sweet treat. They have just about cleared the store cupboard out and we will prune in late August, that will be it then. Might be time to give them a little wild bird seed, we don't like to feed them all the time as we don't want them to become dependant, so we vary what and when we feed them.

11 comments:

Lurline said...

Beautiful, beautiful quilt and beautiful bird, too!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Deb said...

Love the fabrics in your bag. Really stunning

Julia said...

great job on the bag Lizzie..
See, never say you can't...you did it!
Hugs Julia ♥

Linda said...

Good for you Lizzie, machine quilting, I think just saying it gives many of us chills... but you've overcome those chills. Just adore the quilt you made for your mum and dad.

Micki said...

I love the bag and the quilt. Both are beautiful!
Micki

Francien said...

I have tried the machine quilting before...but only the really "save" crosses or something like that..and I do not much of a nice job by hand either...your bag looks lovely..and would you believe it Lizzie...I dont have one of your fabric,s you used here..lol....they are awesome...and the quilt for your parents will be just beautiful...love the bird...the colors he/she is having...stunning..
greetings Francien.

CabbageQuilts said...

Great job on the machine quilting. I found I could never get it on any practice fabrics I tried, so i just decided to just try it on a quilt one day and it worked...weird! I just love the quilt you are making for your parents. The rosella is beautiful too!! Are you coming to Melbourne for the quilt show in about a week and a halfs time? xo

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hi there Lizzie!

One thing that always stuns me and bowls me over when I see pics of your creations - is the beautiful colours that you use. Stunning!

Congratulations on the machine quilting - FANTASTIC JOB! You go, girlfriend!!!! :-) And as for that beautiful quilt.... droooool!

Have a great day sweetheart!
Vikki xoxo

ps. I'm just enjoying a chocolate orange!!!! I wonder where that came from?! he he he... are you impressed it has lasted this long?!!!

Aunt Pitty Pat's Fun said...

Congrats on the wonderful job of machine quilting.. you did a fantastic job of it. I know we are our own worst critics.. but really your quilts are awesome... I am like the others I love the color combination that you used on these quilts. They are truly wonderful .... Pat yourself on the back.. Job well done!!!!
M

claudia said...

very,very nice everithing,Congratulation!!!!
good bay from Tenerife!
Claudia

Micki said...

I love the quilt, and just enjoyed seeing it so much!
Micki

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin