Tuesday, 21 July 2009

It's Nearly Finished.........

.............but I bet you didn't expect this?
This quilt top would have to have been made in the late '90s and has been hiding in a box along with some other quilt tops (we might talk about those another day). I decided that the only way to learn to machine quilt was to dive in feet first and quilt a quilt!
Don't get me wrong, like I said, hand quilting is still the way to go for me - when I don't have a deadline.
I found a piece of fabric for the back, something that was so old, probably 80s, that I wouldn't use it for anything really. It looks plain in the pic but it's actually a very tiny light blue check and I had some largish pieces of Mountain Mist Cotton batting. So rough job stitched/lashed the batting together to make a large enough size, stitched up the backing, pinned it all together and off I went!!
(sorry about the photo's, I've since cleaned the lens - duh, I think it was cookie dough!)
The idea with using left over batting and fabric that doesn't really match for the back was in case I totally stuffed it up. I thought that I wouldn't mind so much if it hadn't cost me a fortune to do!

I huffed and puffed the thing around the machine AND it wasn't too bad.

I outline quilted the vine, leaves, flowers and dollies and stitched the rest in the ditch, or as close as I could get to a ditch, remember, I made this top 10 years ago at least.

It took me two days and it's not a bad effort if I do say so myself. The brown fabric with stars in the foreground is what I am using for the binding which is on and being hand stitched in front of the TV tonight.


As you can see, it's not intensely quilted but I am incredibly proud of the fact that I literally threw it all together and just started sewing and the back didn't pucker at all!!! Alright, alright, all accolades and applause to Pfaff and their amazing dual feed, but it was my fair hands doing the guiding!!
I am well pleased with myself not least for the fact that by the end of tonight I will have finished a long time UFO, whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!
Tomorrow I'm off to Geelong to see trouble and trouble (and mum and dad too) and on Thursday, Jen and I are off to the Quilt and Craft Fair nice and early (sorry Jen) so I shall return on Friday no doubt laden down with goodies to show you, looking forward to that.
Bye for now................







14 comments:

Shiree said...

Hi Lizzie,
you should be really proud of yourself, you have made a super job! I find it really hard trying to stuff a whole quilt thru my domestic sewing machine...

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Looks really nice! You have done a geat job! Enjoy your trip, :)

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

Well done! You should feel very proud that you did do what you set out to do and it looks great. It would have been too easy just to put it back in the cupboard so give yourself a pat on the back for finishing it. Have a lovely trip

Linda said...

Well done Lizzie, looks terrific, now perhaps you won't be afraid to do another. Have fun at the quilt and craft show.

Francien said...

Bravo Lizzie!!..I love your quilt...I find it hard to use checkersfabric, always turned out awry in my quilts...not in yours though and I love the dollies...made a mosaic with them onces...never did machinequilting..not brave enough...anyway...its a lovely quilt.. good job!!...Have a lovely time with your Mum and Dad and I am sure you will have a lovely time at the craft fair too...(envy envy)..Dont forget to take your wallet...and creditcards.... and those of your husband too...piggy bank???and show us all you have purchased..ALL...Have fun!!
greetings Francien.

Jen said...

Very nice Lizzie...just goes to show quilts like yours never date eh!
I look forward to checking it out...
Jen xxxx

Julia said...

Well done Lizzie, looks terrific.
Well worth finishing it..
Julia ♥

Maree said...

I had a little chuckle when I saw your quilt as I have made that one some years ago in flannels...it looks fabulous quilted ...well done.!

Annie said...

LOVE that spider web

Micki said...

It is absolutely gorgeous, Lizzie!
I love it! Your machine quilting is out of this world.
Micki

BUMBLE BEANS said...

way to finish off the UFO! Jump in both feet, that's the way to go!

Bronwyn said...

Hi Lizzie - lovely to have met you at the Craft Fair! I love the area you live in, so I will be reading your posts from now on! Congrats on the finished quilt - bet it feels really great - hope the trip back from the fair was easier for you and your friend!

Karen said...

I love this quilt! Glad it made it's way out of the box. :)

Bia Cardeal said...

I love your pictures and your quilt!!
Glad to meet you!

Bia Cardeal
from Brazil

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin