Saturday, 4 July 2009

Progress on an Anniversay quilt.........

First off I want to say thank you to every one for all your lovely birthday wishes, I had a wonderful day with my family on Wednesday and yesterday Jen and I (her birthday is tomorrow) had a lovely day out in Melbourne. We did nothing that we had planned but the day was excellent anyway and was finished to perfection with dinner, joined by the beautiful Merryn (my gorgeous fairy goddaughter) at a local (to Jen) Vietnamese eating establishment. Thank you Jen for a most excellent day. :o)
On to the quilt, do you remember when I showed these fabrics. They were for Mum and Dad's 60th Anniversary quilt. The idea was to make snowball blocks with the dotty white and the aqua floral, then to stitch little words and things in each of the centre's.
Then I said that I was having to rethink because I had had a 'small' major disaster?
Well here it is..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had traced small items and words onto the fabric (all the squares of course) and was backing each little snowball with iron on pellon! As you do!! Turns out the fabric and pen were not compatible, didn't like each other, took an instant dislike, spat the dummy so to speak!!!!!!


I wish it was just an out of focus picture but I have ten of these. I had lined them all up with the damp pressing cloth on top, blithely pressing away, just checking to see if the pellon was attached. Then when I turned the first one over I couldn't believe my eyes. I've used these pens so many times before with excellent results so it had to be a combination of fabric and pen. I had had this white dotty fabric for years and thought I was so clever finally using it. Huh, that's what you get for being a smart ..........!
The trouble was, I had marked up all the little snowballs with the same pens, so I tried washing them before I ironed on the pellon, the result wasn't as bad but not usable all the same. I was so frustrated, I dumped them. Straight in the rubbish bin. Then took them out and put them in the compost, then had to take them out again because the pellon isn't natural and I suppose the white dotty stuff isn't either!!
Oh well. Soldiering on in the face of adversity and all that.


So, add the above book and the nine patch blocks I had already made from the jelly roll of Kashmir 111........................



............add in this gorgeous fabric that I bought to replace the snowball blocks............




...............Result?
Totally different concept. I just couldn't face anymore snowballs and I had just bought the book. So what I decided on is a sort of medalion quilt. The panel above will be the centre and I am going to set the nine patch blocks alternatley with panels of the green background fabric from the centre panel. Does that make sense?

I think that I am going to have to fudge around with sizes a little to get the patches and squares to fit around the centre panel, so what I've decided to do is have a thin strip of plain fabric below the last panel border. Along this I will stitch dates and names? What do you think? I only need I think 2 inches to make everything line up, so that way I get some words on there??







12 comments:

Banaghaisge said...

the centre panel looks wonderful! I would do that fudging strip to get them to all line up.
You could also do this as a QAYG to get it finished even more quickly.
Just layer your backing and batting cut to the finished size and spray baste together.
Then centre the panel, and sew and flip the strips around it. If you do pin any of it make sure you take out the pins before you sew the next strip btw...
Pull your threads to the right side and tie them off as you go and then they are hidden in the next sewn row too.
I could come and show you (or you could come and visit after next week and get to see my new frame too vbg!).
Pretty sad effort with that markign pen, good job you hadn't actually got it sewn tog too...
Hugs,
Jas

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hello gorgeous!

I am so glad you enjoyed your birthday! Sounds like you had a fantastic day out in Melbourne, too! :-)

Such a shame about your white dotty fabric dilemma... these things are sent to try us. But what a beautiful creation you have made, Lizzie! I LOVE it! Beautiful fabrics and colours, and design... which means beautiful 'everything' doesn't it?!

Hugs sweetie!
Vikki xoxo

Fiona said...

Yous are such a clever girl - I am sure it is going to look fabulous !! Glad to see that you have made something from the book already. They are going to love it.... I had a few disasters with pens too - I have covered some up with applique - LOL

Maree said...

Oh Lizzie I Feel for You...I have been in that Dilemma of things not working out & have been tossed away...nevermind what you have made now is Gorgeous..I too have that book...Sounds Great what you have in mind to finish it off...Never seen that happen with a Pen before....Glad you had a Nice Birthday...
cheers

Karen said...

What a change in design but a good one.

Francien said...

Lovely that you had a great day on your birthday!!...forget what you made before...you can never get it right again...I have to "cut-up"what I make wrong...and that is a lot somethimes...or else It seems to scream at me: "get me out of the bin...you can use a little bit of me again"so I have to "distroy"it completly...this layout that you are going to use for your parents quilt must turn out awesome...what you have made sofar is looking so good!!love to see the finished one..
Have a nice Sunday..
greetings Francien.

Micki said...

Glad that you had a wonderful birthday, and you are doing a wonderful job on your project!
Micki

printersdevil said...

I saw your comment on another blog about a wicker Santa and that you thought you were the only Christmas nut. Not, so.

I also posted this on you other blog to make sure that you get it. Please stop by for a visit.

Visit my Christmas blog--Christmas Memories in My Heart at http://printersdevil72.blogspot.com
for links to many others and to my favorite Christmas forums where we celebrate and plan for Christmas all year long including Rudy Day on the 25th every month.

I am hosting a Christmas in July Tablescape Party at my Playing Dishes blog. There will be one held each Saturday this month. Please come and participate or at least visit. A holiday tablecloth will be given away on the last Saturday, July 25. Info on signups is available by clicking my sidebar memes available on both my blogs.

I am also having a weekly Christmas giveaway at my Christmas Memories in My Heart blog. Weekly entries are closed out a midnight on Wednesday for this.

Hopefully some of you tablescape regulars will pull together a tablescape for CIJ or pull out some photos from last year to post.

Happy CIJ!

Please join us so that you can enjoy Christmas 24/365!

Felecia~printersdevil

Sarah said...

What a drama indeed Lizzie! I use pigma pens usually brown in a 1. I had SO much touble with other pens in the past so now I just stick to the Pigma and have never had trouble!
Your Centre medalion looks fantastic, I am sure it will turn out perfect!
x Sarah

Sarah said...

Oh and, Happy Birthday! Glad to hear you had a great day out!
x Sarah

Rumi said...

So sorry to hear about the snowball incident. We all have had disasters like that! You sure took a bad situation and made something wonderful out of it. Your 2nd idea is great and I'm sure they will love it!

Karen said...

That centre panel is wonderful!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin