Sunday, 16 August 2009

A Productive Week........

I can't believe that a week has gone since I last did a post on here!! It's been a busy week although if I stand and look back not that much has been going on. Pretty normal I suppose, life's a bit like that isn't it, it just whizz's by and before you know it a week, a month or a year has gone.

Anyway, it's been busy!!
Second eldest grandchild (Ryan) was 13 this week. He of course is delighted. Hurtling head first, with nary a backward glance, into his 'teens'. "Guess what Nana" was the cry when I saw him, " I'm 13" was the joyful exclamation, rendering me incapable of any thought but 'how on earth did that happen' which of itself is a stupid, stupid thought. Of course I know exactly how that happened, but there you go ~ I blinked again!! Next year our two eldest granddaughters will take that almost magical, mystic step into the world of 'teenship'. I think I need to keep my eyes wide open for that one!!


I've had lots of things on the go this week, I had a little excursion back into the world of knitting and crochet, only a quick field trip mind you. I've been making some little dishcloths out of this lovely recyled cotton yarn. I started crocheting because I was having trouble with my wrist, a wee bit too much hand quilting I think, so a change of position was called for. That along with a firm wrist support seemed to do the trick. It's really nice to just knit rows, not worrying about fancy stitches, don't have to look, just knit each row in front of the TV. Quite theraputic! Anyway, I'm pleased with the simple little cloths, they are nice to touch, do the job and wash up nicely!
Oh yes, the new bamboo needles I bought are lovely to use too.
I did do a post on our CWBQ blog the other day. I finished my first block and felt mightily pleased with myself, it's turning out to be a lovely quilt to stitch and I'm thrilled at the amount of ladies that have decided to join us.
I also made my SIL a bag for her birthday. I'm quite pleased with this one. I used a packet of 'Gypsy Rose' charm squares from Moda, some beautiful old cotton lace and some lovely green bead trim. I decided to use the solid faux tortoishell handles because I thought that they would suit my SIL better, she's more of a 'handbag' person as opposed to a 'shoulder bag' person.
And last but certainly not least, I finished this for Mum. So not only am I trying to get into my UFOs, but now I'm doing Mums as well. Which I have to say is an absolute pleasure to be able to do for her.

I think I've mentioned before about Mum making cot blankets for all her great grandchildren. All 13 (I think) have a lovingly embroidered cot blanket, all have had bears on, all have had beautiful wool embroidered flowers, garden, butterflies and bees.


A few years ago, when she still could sew, she was pondering what to do with all the little bits of wool left over from the blankets. Mum can't throw anything out, even if it's broken she has trouble throwing it out!! Anyway, after a little persuasion (from moi) she made a couple of little covers in patchwork style, gave them away to anyone that even had a tenacious connection to a baby and I gave it no more thought.

Silly me!!!!

A couple of weeks ago she was giving me her weekly contribution to the clutter in my house (she's been 'giving' me things every week for months now, cotton reels with a smidgen of thread left on, half a packet of needles etc) and out she walks with a bag full of wool blanket off cuts!! In there was this little blanket. All joined together and stitched with adorable little bears. That's as far as it got obviously. She was worried that she couldn't finish it AND even if she could she didn't have anyone to give it to. So, I brought it home, bought some lovely 1950s repro fabric for the back, big stitch quilted around the squares and bound the edges.


Now I love it so much that I shall take it back to her on Wednesday and tell her to keep it for MY first great grandchild and my heart will break with the knowledge that she won't be here to see it.

Oh yes, the contribution to clutter ~ I keep every little thing.

I love you Mum.

Talking of which, I have nearly finished their anniversary quilt. I have a tiny bit of hand quilting to do on the centre panel and the binding to stitch down. I know it sounds odd to say I still have quilting to do when the binding is on, but my wrist was so painful that I did the machine (yep, machine) quilting and stitched the binding on. It's made absolutley no difference to the centre, I made sure it was well pinned down and nothing has shifted. Probably a day hand quilting and then stitch the binding down on the back. I should have it finished for show and tell at my patchwork group on Thursday. Photo's by then I promise.

5 comments:

Sew Useful Designs said...

Thank you for the lovely update, Lizzie! You have been busy! I love the woollen baby blankets... now we know where you get your crafty talent from?! xx

Your quilt is looking divine, too! I hope your hand is right as rain again now.

Lots of love!
Vikki xoxo

Francien said...

You are a busy bee Lizzie, but with all wunderful things to do...and you are right...times flies...the week opens and closes again before you know it...like your knitting..it lookes very soft and believe it or not....i have started knitting too...nothing special. straight up...dont know yet what it is going to be...just very easy to doo while watching the TV...and your first block is so beautiful!! .. and so fast done...and the handbag looks very elegant..your sil will be very pleased...
and what a lovely babyblanket you have finished...my mum used to make them too..even crochettet babycapes and blankets and the big fluffy pillows for on the childcarrier( dont know another name in English so I translated it freely...lol...hope you know what I mean).but I did not keep them and i am sorry about that now...Your Mum will be proud to see here work finished...its great!!
Love to see te picture of your parents quilt when its all done...wish you a fun time on Thursday...
greetings xxx Francien

Sandra @ Pepperberry & Co. said...

My goodness, have you ever been busy! And when you're busy, you produce some incredible things. Love it all- very inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing, and thanks for the update.

Karen said...

Love your first block of the CWBQ. I was going to order it, but they tell me it would cost $22 to ship the pattern to Canada. So the dream ends. :(

smiffie said...

What a lovely post. And the blanket is gorgeous. I hope everyone who received a blanket from your mum, appreciated it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin