Sunday, 9 August 2009

Sam's quilt finished & a new blog....

I've been waiting all week to take this outside to photograph, I just knew that the colours would 'sing' outside in the sunlight, well I did take it outside today but couldn't get it to stay still in the wind! So spare bed it is.

I love the words around the white border, it gave me the chance to say things to Sam that perhaps we forget in the humdrum of a busy life. She is 'smart', she is 'beautiful, she is a 'friend', she is a 'sister', 'daughter' and a 'granddaughter'. She is also 'tall', a 'young lady' and she is and always will be my 'blossom'.


I know she will love and treasure her quilt not least because it was made by 'her nana'.
I love my eldest granddaughter as much as I love the other 4 girls and 3 boys, they each have a little piece of my heart that they carry around with them, I don't know if they all know that yet, but one day as they get older, they will.


Now that I have finished one of my September quilts, I gave myself permission to start a little applique!

My fingers were itching to start my CWBQ (Civil War Bride Quilt), so I have cut out all the background blocks and started on block one.
This is where I am at, block one, half done! I'm well pleased with it.
We are becoming quite a little band of CWBQ stitchers, we now have a blog dedicated to making the quilt here. So far Lurline and I are the only ones started, Kathie and Janet (no blog) are waiting for their patterns.

This is how my block sits on the coffee table, just quietly waiting each day for a spare few minutes. By doing it this way I can pick up the container and take it with me if John is driving, a few stitches while I'm waiting for Caitlin to come out of school on my pick up day, visiting with Mum and Dad, appointments etc. I find that just stitching a few stitches here and there I have done a leaf or stem before I know it!


I know that this will be a long term project, but I just don't want it to take me five years to complete the top. I will only ever make one quilt with this much applique I think and I want to see it finished.

Having said that I also have a trillion other things that I want to do, right now I have to finish the Anniversary quilt, I need to make a bag for my SILs birthday (also Sept), I have to make the cake for Mum and Dad's anniversary party. Keep watching for that, I just ordered 60 sugar 'diamonds' for the top of the cake so I'm looking forward to making that. I have a Christmas quilt half finished which of course would be nice if I could actually FINISH that one for Christmas this year!! I still have to finish the Sunbonnet quilt and I have to start Caitlins quilt for her birthday in November!! Oh yes, and that doesn't include the BOM that I forgot about until it arrived at the Post Office!!! :0)

I thought about making a list on my sidebar with things I have to do, but then I decided that I would just get depressed if I didn't do them, this way it doesn't feel like I have to sew all week, just seven days, That's OK then, lol !!!!!

17 comments:

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

What a lovely nana you are! the quilt is absolutely adorable and i love the affirmations you have given her. the colours and the wordings are just beautiful.

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

Love this quilt in the making too. Now you really have got me thinking.... wedding quilt being formed in my mind as we speak..

Maree said...

Lovely Quilt for Sam...I'm sure it will be Treasured..
I am lovin this CWBQ that I have seen in blogland...it's got a lot of work & am looking forward to watching it's progress...
cheers

Julia said...

Lovely Quilt for Sam...
You and Lurline are doing well on your CWBQ...Look forward to see it grow..
Julia ♥

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Beautiful quilt - a real treasure! I love the idea with the embroidered words.

Cathy said...

Oh Wow oh wow, what a great post! Samantha is a very lucky granddaughter. How thoughtful you are putting personal writing around the edges. Just wonderful. And your civil war quilt, wow, it's going to look fabulous! How many things do you have to do. I love coming to your blog and seeing what you are doing. Thank you xo

Casarth-Bären said...

Hello!
I would like to present you an Award. I like your blog very much. And therefore I would like to give you this Award. Please, blogger pass him on far to 12.
Kind greetings from Germany of Ines.
Please come on mean blog, there can collect him for you you!

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hello gorgeous Lizzie!

Sam is going to be so rapt with her quilt! It's nice to see it on the bed, as the size of it seems so much bigger than I'd imagined... even though I knew it was for a single bed! What am I like?!! Sam and your other grandchildren have such a lovely nana, you're such a special lady!

I am LOVING that applique, Lizzie! I love the designs and fabrics, maybe one day I shall take up the mantle and make one myself! Like you say, a few stitches a day all makes a difference, and I love your idea of keeping it all in a pick-up-and-go container. Great idea!

Hugs sweetie!
Vikki xoxo

Stephanie said...

Lurline sent me. What a gorgeous blog and beautiful work. I know you're a cool person because you love giraffes. I noticed the button on your side bar. Giraffes are my most favorite animal ever!!! Wherever did you find the button?

Lurline said...

Sam's quilt is such a happy, gorgeous quilt - she will love it! Oh, yes we are busy little bees - don't you dare make a list of 'to-dos' on your Sidebar - would make me feel even more guilty thinking about mine!
Hugs - Lurline♥

susi said...

dear lizzie,thanks so much for telling me the mailadress where i could buy the pattern for the civil war bride quilt!they send it to germany,i don`t know,how long this will take,from australia to germany is not a short way...,but i`m looking foreword to be with you australian ladys to sew it.maybe i am a little late so,but thats ok,well.greetings,and thanks a lot,susi

Francien said...

It looks fabulous!!!! Sam must be over the moon with such a lovely quilt and charish it forever!!...7 more quilts to go then??!!...lol...i think the boys might pass on that one...allthough my grandson still playes on his...I admire your pacience on the new quilt...all that appliqué....could not do that to be honest...tryed the "blindstitch" and needleunderturnstitch or whatever its called once and it turned out to be a little more like a blanketstiich..awefull...
So..won,t keep you any longer...you have some heavy stitching to do and so much!!...well...there is always nighttime too...lol...i guess you must still be thinking of your quilts when you go to sleep...or its even hard to lay them aside till the next day and go to sleep...you,ll manage...you,ll see!!
greetings Francien.

Micki said...

I love the pink quilt and your first block of the Civil War Bride quilt...lovely both of them!
Micki

Bronwyn said...

Thanks Lizzie for your comment - yes, it is all the same mums each year at school, despite most working outside the home - we do it for our kids - that's the main thing! I love your granddaughter's quilt - mentioning 'blossom' makes me smile - that what my Mum calls me!

Rumi said...

I love Sam's quilt! The words around the border is pure genius. She will treasure this I'm sure.

Roseanne said...

i am a grand mother as well and i like making thing for my grandchildren. We even get together and have cooking days my eldest grandchild is 7 and we will have a new grandchild in October. Love your blog.
X Razzy

Kate said...

Love your blog! Your work is fabulous....thanks for sharing. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin