Tuesday, 22 September 2009

Pushing my boundaries...........

Last month I joined an online virtual quilting bee called The Bee Balm. The idea of course is that every month one quilter will send fabric and instructions for a block that she wants making, to the other 11 quilters (there are 12 of us). We have a month to make the block using fabric sent and some of your own stash, if it's appropriate to the quilt, and then send it back to the owner.
So each of us ends up with 12 blocks at the end of the year to make into a quilt of international proportions so to speak, 10 are from all over America, one from Canada and me! One of the reasons that I decided to join, apart from little friendly pushing from Elaine from here, was to push my boundaries a little. I tend to get into a groove as far as colour/pattern choices are concerned, I seem to pick the same type of patterns and the same colour families over and over!
So I thought that having to stitch something someone else has chosen, their pattern and colour, would help me broaden my horizons so to speak.
Talk about being thrown in to sink or swim, boy oh boy, did I get shoved out of my comfort zone on month one!!!
This is Tara's block. Tara organised and started The Bee Balm, so she decided she would start everyone off with her fabric and block (my turn is February). Tara wanted her quilt to be along the lines of this one here but in 30s reproduction fabric. The instructions were very loose, green for grass, blue for sky, house no bigger that 5 x 5. Simply hey??


You're talking to the girl that does earthy or historical, maybe a little bit of contempary but only in earthy or safe colours and fabrics. Do you know how hard it was to NOT match the fabric, to NOT make the house at least a little realistic, to NOT add some little flowers at the front of the house?????????

It was hard, trust me.

I so hope Tara likes it, it's in the post tomorrow, fingers crossed for me!

Postscript: I just noticed that it looks like it's raining little ducks :0)

10 comments:

Jeanette said...

The block looks great Lizzie. Be interesting to see what everyone has at the end. Hugs, Jeanette

Lurline said...

I think yours is brilliant, Lizzie - a little more interesting than the original (am I allowed to say that, maybe the blocks aren't meant to be interesting!). Cake is out of the oven - looks wonderful!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Rebecca said...

You brave thing its never easy to go out of the box, but you did a great job. Carn't wait to see the rest.
Big Hugs
Bec

Janet said...

Or from a distance, it could even be snowing. You did well and it's not easy to work outside of the comfort zone but it's good for us.

Julie said...

Thats a serious dust...sorry duck storm. Very cute.

Francien said...

Oh no Lizzie...i could not do that...sewing something i dont like...and it would be nerve-wracking for me to get it done in time..but its a challenge allright...i would never have chozen this fabric...not only does it rain ducks there are also a lot of woman in the "grass" it seems...lol....but seeing her first block on her blog Tara must love it..so i dont keep everything crossed for you...you dont need it...lol...
greetings xxx Francien.

Margaret said...

Good for you for pushing your boundaries. The block is really cute! And I love that it's raining ducks! lol!

Deb said...

Pushing the boundaries is great - yours looks to me like it is snowing. Lovely.

Cathy said...

I love it Lizzie, and I love those ducks! It will be interesting to see what you create with these blocks xo

Jo in TAS said...

Sounds like a fun challenge!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin