Tuesday, 6 October 2009

Colour my world..................

Remember the old blanket that I bought at the Sallie's last week........well look at it now!!!!
I'm in love and thinking of dying everything I can get my hands on..........LOL! Is that not well worth the $10 I paid, that's only half the blanket too! My Oh My, I'm very excited and Oh so inspired by...............................
.........this, and.................
..............this!!! More precisely by Sue Spargo, check out her blog here. I dare'nt go to her web site again. I went, I saw, I drooled and I left, how good was that. BUT, I shall return in the new year. Mmmm Mmmmm!!


Actually, I was very, very pleased with my own small attempt at dying wool. I did try beetroot but it was a bit of an insipid colour. The yellow is from Turmeric and that turned out OK. I gave up after that and went out and bought commercial dye and I think they worked well, I learnt that lots of vinegar is the trick with wool, it really sets the colour well. So I've now got ~ Koala Brown, French Navy, Olive Green, Purple Vine and Scarlett, plus the yellow. All the simmering, rinsing and wringing felted the wool nicely. You should have seen my kitchen yesterday, a kaleidoscope of drying wool, it was gorgeous to behold. You shall see me in the future, scouring second hand shops for things to dye ;o) I'm blown away by the colours I can create!!


A few shots of my garden after yesterdays rain (the reason I had to dry wool inside). This shot, 'Just Joey' with it's new shoots and leaves dappled with raindrops.

One of my 'Snowball' shrubs showing off it's spring growth and buds.

Sunlight through a Rhubarb leaf.


And a branch from the May bush! Isn't is strange that I still insist on calling it a May bush even though it flowers in September here in Australia. As I'm writing this now we are in the middle of a hailstorm, very heavy but tiny spheres of ice pounding away on the tin roof. Ahhh, the joys of spring!!
A couple of macro shots of a moss on a log of wood destined for the fire sometime today. He Who Works thought that there was something wrong when he walked up the pathway towards the house and found me on my knees, Nikon in hand, peering at a log in the wheelbarrow. However, as soon as he saw the moss he just walked off shaking his head.........sigh.........I think he's given up on me!! He still loves me though ;o)

It's no higher than 3 or 4mm, just amazing. I love looking at the world through my Macro lens, it's such a different place.
Anyway, enough daydreaming, I'm off to find something else to dye...........




Oooopps, sorry I forgot to say, the magazine is American Patchwork & Quilting, October issue. The only American mag I buy, I love it.





20 comments:

Fiona said...

OMG - I want to dye some wool too......... I do have the perfect blanket from the oppy a few weeks ago - What type of dye did you use? Love the garden shots as always - Gorgeous !!!!

paddysdaughter said...

Lovely colours, you have done well. Dyeing can be a bit tricky sometimes, but equally one can get great results when something happens that you had not planned!

susi said...

dear lizzie,well done,the blanket must be very thin,or not?happy stitching,susi

Deb said...

Oh Lizzie these colours are glorious. What a bargain for $10 - and a whole new bunch of projects on the horizon?

Francien said...

WAUW Lizzie, what a wunderful colors!! did you do that all by hand or in the washingmachine??..its lovely...and i bet you cant wait to work with it..I think your colors are more brighter than Sue,s...well done dear!!..
and what a great pictures you took...its so beautiful to see to see all things growing and "drinking"the rain..the colors are always so bright after a good days of rain..( we have plenty of them here in Holland) and smelling so good...you are a very good fotograhper too...
are you still there??....lol...think you must be off to some store to find something to dye...dont take the woolpullover from the saleslady..she might need it through out the day...and those magazines are so inspiring but they are so expensive here..
i stop now...you must be busy and i am off to work...have a nice day/evening!
greetings♥ Francien

greetings

Julie said...

Fabulous colours and isn't it a beautiful time of year in the garden.

Cathy said...

Wow Lizzie, how amazing is this gorgeous wool? I love it and hope you find heaps of op shop blankets. What a fabulous idea. I love your garden pics, the lichen is amazing up close xo

Rumi said...

Wow! The colors are so vibrant. Looking forward to seeing what you do with all that wonderful wool!

Kathie said...

wow. lucky you being able to dye the wool for that cheap!
the colors look wonderful,
isn't Sues quilt beautiful
I love her style and her color sense is amazing in mho!
Kathie

Margaret said...

Oh wow wow wow!! That is fantastic! The wools are just gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you do with them. Sue Spargo's site is so tempting, isn't it? Drool..... lol!

Tara said...

Oh the colors are beautiful! You couldn't have purchased wool off the bolt for anything near $10!!!

Sue said...

Oh Lizzie, do you know what you've done?
There wont be a warm blanket left in an Op Shop anywhere in the world for cold people to buy.
Oh well they can have the acrylic ones.......I'm going out to look for something to dye now!

Teresa said...

Your wools are "to dye for"!!!

(yuck-yuck-yuck)

The colors are so rich...what a wonderful example of creative recycling! I can't wait to see what you do with them!

Your spring pics are lovely...we are getting into the beautiful fall color season here in Michigan. Everything is dying...

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Sweet P said...

The wool is lovely! Wonderful job on it.

Roberta Granada said...

Hi, I love your blog, I have a blog on tb craft in general and now I'm offering my readers to download the magazine found the net, http://agulhaetricot.blogspot.com, e visit me my blog about food http://alatitacarre.blogspot.com ,visit me, and also appears in my online shop Maison Carré by Tita, http://maisontitacarre.blogspot.com, kiss.

clare's craftroom said...

I love your garden photos , beautiful and the colours of that wool is gorgeous !

Micki said...

Your wool is just gorgeous!
You did a great job!
Micki

Karen said...

The old blankets look wonderful! Can't wait to see what you make from them.

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Hey Lizzie
you've inspired me to think about overdying once again. I really enjoyed this post. You're contagious!

Khris said...

Ohh I am so jealous..I am loving your wool...gorgeous..hugs Khris

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin