Friday, 6 November 2009

I'm still here........

I've been absent for a while haven't I?
Thank you to everyone who sent words of support and comfort yesterday. I really appreciated them. Thank you!
We're certainly a strange lot us humans aren't we? If you read yesterdays post and followed the link then you will know that on Nov. 5th 1970 I gave birth to our first baby boy, Shane Warren. On the morning of Oct. 26th 1971 he just didn't wake up, ever. Cot death or SIDS as it's now known, took our beautiful boy away. He was ten days away from his 1st birthday. We grieved and we moved on. Another four healthy happy babies saw to that, I didn't have time to think about the what ifs with four kids under six!! BUT, every year for the days between 25th Oct and 5th Nov I tend to fall into melancholy and the older I get the more the 'what ifs' invade my days and nights. For the last few years I've taken to broadcasting in some public way that it's my boys birthday, even if it's only spoken to a stranger (or written on a blog) it seems to help, it's a statement I think, that he was here and I do remember him. Once the day has gone I'm back to normal, or what passes for normal for me these days!! So today I can tell you all about him without crying over my keyboard. Go figure, yesterday I cried reading your lovely comments!!
So with renewed vigor today I can show you what I found in a lovely little shop just down the road in Ballan (about 10 mins away), just look at these spools of cotton! Are they not delicious?
The labels say 'Superior French Finish Spool Cotton', Made in Gt Britain.
There were six of them but I only bought four, of the two left one was empty and the other cracked and chipped. I thought that I might leave them for somebody else. LOL! There was 9600 yards of thread on each spool, could have stitched a couple of quilts with those hey? Surprisingly the thread is still really strong, I wonder how old they are, might have to see if I can find out, interesting! Oh yes, I should have put something with them in the photo so you could see the size, they are a whopping 18cm/6 1/2 inches tall!!! My collection of cotton reels is growing in leaps and bounds!
Remember a while ago I was telling you that I had joined an online 'quilting bee', well this is Novembers blocks. These are as we speak, in a big metal bird winging their way to Victoria in New York! The brief for these was to use every scrap that Victoria sent and make up a Wonky Log Cabin, whatever was left we then had to make a small block and whatever was left after that we have to send back with the blocks. Victoria wants to put every last piece of fabric into her quilt!! As you can see, the tiny piece of pink is all that I had left :0). I was very pleased with myself, inordinately so I might even say. Once again it was pushing the boundaries for me. Talk about 'think outside the square', there wasn't a square to think outside on this one!! Victoria gave everyone specific instruction to NOT square it off. Glad it's her that has to put all those blocks together, should be fun hey? Actually, once I got going I really enjoyed it, so easy, just round and round, shut your eyes pick up a piece, stitch and repeat!


Not much else on the sewing side of life to report this week, I've done a bit of stitching on my CWBQ, but not enough to show. I still have to quilt Caitlin's quilt, I really have to start that this weekend, it's her birthday in two weeks! I'm trying to finish things for my Advent Swap with the lovely Fiona on the other side of Bass Strait (Tasmania), fingers crossed that I can have it all finished in the next few days. Two PIFs to finish and get on the way too. Busy, busy!! See, no more time for melancholy and misery, have to stitch, stitch and stitch!!!


I thought I would leave you with some pics of my garden in the sunshine, that burst of warm, humid weather last week pushed the rose buds to open and the garden to burst into colour. The rose above is 'Just Joey'.

Pink Iris about to burst open.

A tiny 'Cecil Brunner' bud.

Solomon's Seal.

Pink Dogwood

Flanders Poppy.
That's one thing that does flower at the right time here in Australia. Flanders Poppies in time for Remembrance Day, November 11th.

And to finish some photo's taken last week on a warm, humid misty day. Surreal!

Looking out across the verandah from the lounge room.

Looking South across the railway lines (hidden in the mist).
So, that's it for this week I think, once again, thanks for your words and for the friendship across cyberspace. Have a great weekend.

20 comments:

Francien said...

I like to believe that i know you "long"enough to know that there is something going on...good or bad...when you are not posting your great stories once a week or so...i told myself to wait untill the weekend and if you had not post by then i would ask if you are ok...glad you are allright again...
Your garden pictures are so lovely...what a great and beautiful garden it is already and will be in full blossom...those roses.. wauw!!! What a great found are your spools...love those...dont see them anymore..i always look for them on the market or fleamarket..garage sales etc...i only found a black one sofar....and good luck with your log cabin..looks difficult to do...i am working on one little lc too in earthy tones...my favorite...will show when i got a few blocks... only got 3 now...but the weekend is coming so after work i will bind myself to a chair in my hobbyhonk...
Have a nice weekend...enjoy what you are going to do...
greetings ♥ Francien.

Micki said...

I am so sorry that you went through this tragedy, and though time is a great healer, you will never forget, I know. Thanks for sharing a very touching story, and I will be thinking of you!
Micki

Julie said...

Such a sad story. I'm glad you are back. I was getting a little worried too. Your garden photos are divine. I think gardening is a good healer.

Sue said...

Beautiful garden pix Lizzie. BTW if you pick up the other 2 spools I'd gladly pay you your price! I need an empty one to make a little lamp base. I'm soooo jealous.

Lorraine said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes...a painful part of your heart shared. So sorry Lizzy for your loss.

Sew Useful Designs said...

Your garden is truly magical Lizzie... in fact if you look closely you can see the fairies!

Hugs in abundance!!
Vikki xoxo

Rebecca said...

I am pleased you are back did miss ya. It is hard to lose a child especially so young. Love the garden and what a find. Better turn on the weather for me at the end of the week as I am comming home (born in Melbourne) so no 4 seasons in one day please...
Hugs Bec

Kim said...

Hey, Lizzie. Good of you to share this with us...the good and beautiful things, the happy and yes even the sad times and memories. All of it.

Ann's blog said...

Your heartfelt words brought tears to my eyes Lizzie, I lost two due to miscarriage and each year there are those few days of "why" and "what could have been". It passes and there are the tears but we all have somuch to be thankful for. I enjoy reading your blog and the eloquent way you describe human emotions. Take care Lizzie, you are such a lovely lady. Ann

Cathy said...

Thank you for sharing Shane Warren with us Lizzie. A hard road you have travelled. Beautiful old cotton reels and a stunning garden. I still love the photo's you take xo

Tara said...

I had read your last post,but hadn't an idea of what it meant until I read this one. My heart goes out to you--and celebrate the life you shared with that sweet baby boy.

I hope you see him in the beautiful garden you have. And may your remembrances make you stronger.

Taryn said...

Your garden is beautiful. The photos with the mist took my breath away. I am so sorry about your first baby boy and thank you for allowing us the chance to remember him with you on his birthday.

Fabric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Khris said...

ohh Lizzie that brought tears to my eyes reading about your loss...and the 26th of October is my birthday. That makes me feel even sadder. I too have lost a son but he was 21 years old. Its been 6 years but the pain never goes away. The tears never dry up....losing a child is one of the hardest things I have ever had to deal with..anyway...life does go on even with pain in it. Big hugs to you...Khris

Bobbie Ashley said...

Lizzie,

My heart goes out to you and yours. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain of losing a child. Sometimes I have to remind myself that my teenagers are so very special, so that I don't kill them, VBG, and I keep telling myself, this to, shall pass. I am sure that many a mum has felt the same way once or twice.
Shane was so very precious and very loved to this day. You will see him again, our lives here are so very fleeting. So, when you miss him the most, close your eyes, remember the smell of his skin, the giggle and laugh that he made. These things are small, but wonderful memories, may you be blessed every day with those wonderful things that you remember the most about him. You will be with him again.
Please know that you have touched our hearts in many ways, thank you for your gifts and what you mean to many many people. Great big bear hugs to you.

Bobbie

GRAÇA said...

Bom dia,adorei teu blog,vou seguir-te
Bjs
Graça

Beth Karese said...

Good for you for stretching yourself in the quilting bee. Just last week I told Victoria that I think a bee would be good for me, though now's not the right time. I'm looking forward to seeing your next CWBQ block. I'm working away on mine. The last 3 shots of your yard almost don't look real... so lovely and serene.

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing, both your tough times and your beautiful garden with lovely photos. The reels of cotton are wonderful and so big, what a great find.

Kris said...

Hi Lizzie! What a gorgeous blog! It is truly beautiful. I loved reading about your son. No matter how short his time here I know he had an influence on those around him, and you will always be his Mum! Love your garden pics too!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Lizzie...thank you so much for sharing your touching story of your precious Son...Blessings to you♥x

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin