Thursday, 19 November 2009

Ta Da.....

This is why I've been in hibernation for the last week and a half, Caitlin's birthday quilt. Finished, quilted and washed!! I don't usually wash my quilts before I give them away, but the white area's of this quilt had just become so grubby while I quilted that washed it had to be...
I had been going to machine quilt it, that's why I had left it until last Tuesday!! Then I decided that I really wanted to hand quilt it, madness........ I know!! So, 10 days, high 30s temperatures, perle thread and big stitched and it's done. Last week I was sitting in front of the air con with a quilt on my lap, same this week. I finished the last bit of binding at my patchwork group this afternoon. So next Tuesday we shall see if she is happy with her quilt, I'm thrilled that it's finished and I can now get on with things I want to make for Christmas presents.
On the Christmas front, earlier this week my advent swap left on a jet plane, winging it's way to Fiona in Tasmania, look out for the Postie masquerading as Santa Fiona, he's on his way!! I also finished and sent off my PIFs yesterday, the local one is already there ( I forgot to take photo's) good work Australia Post!


I got mail too this week, these gorgeous 2.5" squares from Moda. I ordered three boxes from the Fat Quarter Shop (love that site), they're samples of all the new fabrics due out next year from Moda. There are 40 squares in each bundle, 480 in a box! I make that 1440 little squares of loveliness, mmmm, mmmmm!! I also won a giveaway on Blackbird Designs blog last week, hasn't arrived yet but in the light of all the squary goodness that I bought, it could come in handy!! You'll see when it arrives.


I bought this gorgeous red bundle at Ballarat Patchwork the other day, the dog was at the groomers and I had to fill in an hour or so, what was I to do? Sigh, it was difficult driving just down the road to Victoria St. Anyway I think I'm going to make a table runner for Christmas with this and maybe a Rudi or two??

The chocolate and aqua bundle and the Authentic bundle are destined to be bags for my girls, to go with their Christmas gifts. Both girls carry around lap tops everyday, well Bec does and Sarah will at Uni next year so a big shopper that will take computers and STUFF that we need everyday, sounds like a plan to me!!

I've got a couple of Kris Kringle gifts to make for the beginning of Dec and I would still like to give finishing my Christmas quilt a try???? Hmmm, time is marching on, we'll see.

This is my California Tree Poppy, I think you should be able to see the size of the flower by looking at my hand holding the stem? The flowers are huge and always give a good show, about bread and butter plate size I would say!

Gorgeous isn't it?

So is Miss Martha, fresh from the groomers, all ready for the hot weather. Natalie (the girl who looks after her) always puts a bow in her ear, it lasts about a week then we find it on the floor somewhere. I like to see her hair a little longer than this but for the whole of the summer this is how she will stay, trimmed once a month for comfort for her.
No quilting to do tonight so I might just get the last leaf stitched on my CWBQ block, it's been hanging around for a month I think. I've really slowed down on the blocks but I did know that would happen come this time of year, our Northern Hemisphere friends are curling up in front of fires, snuggly and warm stitiching on their quilts, while we try to get through the heat without a total melt down. Good job Santa has a good pair of boardies????
See you next week..................

24 comments:

Janet said...

I feel tired just reading about what you have on your list to do. Congratulations on a wonderful finish for Caitlin's quilt. She'll love it. I love it too, it's so girly. I enjoyed your post, such lovely things to see.

PatchworkRose said...

Caitlin's quilt looks wonderful. Yes you are mad trying to quilt it in a week! Try 43 here today. What happened to Spring. This weather is more than a little crazy. Thank goodness the cool change is thinking about it. and it will be 29 tomorrow. Phew Hopefully a little rain :-)
Cheers
Lynne

Bernadette said...

Caitlins quilt looks lovely well done Lizzie!

Julia said...

Caitlin's quilt is lovely...so that's where you've been, well done! Julia ♥

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

the quilt is darling, so is Miss Martha, what a cute little dog, and all the fabric and parcels, you have been very very busy, Love this post!

Margaret said...

Wow! I can't believe how fast you quilted that quilt! Your GD is going to love it!! It's beautiful! And your fabric packs -- they're going to make great totes and Christmas table runners. I'm so tempted to get that fabric sampler box, but I haven't succumbed yet. By the time I do, they may be gone! Ah well. Hope the heat doesn't get too bad down there!

paddysdaughter said...

Great quilt for Caitlin, she is sure to love it! Lucky girl. Can't believe all that fabric - you certainly are going to be busy! Hair cut day for my two today - necessary, but I always think Maggie with no hair looks acutely embarrassed! Sue

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous Gorgeous quilt, I'm sure Caitlin will adore it.
Beautiful work.

Fiona said...

My goodness you have been busy. Love the quilt - She is going to adore it I am sure. Your Christmas List of Things To do sounds very much like mine :) Looking forward to getting my parcel - Yours won't be too far away.
XXX

Julie said...

Wow! Caitlin's quilt is stunning, I can't believe you hand wuilted it that quick.
I'm in love with that little box of Moda squares. Trouble is you will never use them because they are too cute to pull apart.

Sweet P said...

I love Caitlin's quilt! I can't imagine someone not liking it.

You have been busy shopping and growing your stash! Have fun with all the new goodies.

Sew Useful Designs said...

Darling Lizzie!!!

Caitlin's quilt is an absolute knock-out sweetie! She is going to adore it, how I would have loved to be gifted something so special from my nana! Not to mention it is absolutely divine!!!

Miss Martha is a darling, I just want to give her a big cuddle! And those tree poppies - wow!!! Amazing!

I love your fabric purchases Lizzie!

Lots of love darling lady!
Vikki xoxoxo

Karen said...

Caitlin's quilt is so very sweet! I just love that big beautiful tree poppy and what fun you will have with all the lovely 2.5" squares!

Teresa said...

Caitlin is one lucky gal...pardon the pun, but this quilt has really blossomed since you first posted one of the applique blocks.

It is still very hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that our weather is so opposite!! It's hard to believe that you are dealing with heat as we are moving into our winter (sometimes we even have light snow at Thanksgiving!). And trying to imagine Christmas with beautifully blooming flower gardens is so hard for me!! And you having cold weather in July when we are dealing with high temps during our Independence Day bar-B-ques...so hard for me understand! I want to learn more about Australia...I'm beginning to get obsessed with your country...I know now that it is so much more than "Crocodile Dundee." LOL

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Francien said...

I did not ask if you are ok Lizzie... because you told us how much you had to do...APPLAUSE from me...you did a wunderful job on Caitin's quilt....its lovely..she will love it i am sure!!.and those fabric's...wauw...i just love the box from Moda with the little squares..the FQS is really good and chiep for us in Holland to order even with the shippingcost one can save a lot...but my little savingpiggy is not quit friendly with me so I have to feed him al little while longer...lol...
Your flowers are so beautiful and so is Miss Martha...she looks so lovely....and yes it isn't very cold here for now but very windy...storm like...and rainy...so...i will stop blogging for tonight and watch TV in my pj's with some lovely tea...must make some Christmascards tomorrow..feel more like patching...but the have to be done..indeed...so little time to go...
Have a nice weekend...greetings ♥ Francien.

beth said...

caitlin's quilt is beautiful..how wonderful to hand quilt it toooo! wow!
what a lovely gift!

Cathy said...

Wow Lizzie, I adore Caitlin's quilt, what a stunner. The colours are beautiful, you have put a lot of work into it with all the applique too. Lovely fabrics and flowers, and Miss Martha is very cute xo

Anne Fannie said...

Your California Poppy Bush caught me eye! I live in California and I have one of those bushes. Don't you just love the size of the bloom? The pedals are like thin fragile paper!
Enjoyed my visit to your blog!
~Ann

clare's craftroom said...

Hi Lizzie , your quilt is just gorgeous and of course your new fabric is too but that dog is just so cute !

Deb said...

What a great post Lizzie - and yes your tee poppy is glorious. I'm sure Caitlin will love her quilt - it's just beautiful and made with so much love.

Micki said...

Caitlin's quilt is just lovely, and I adore those Moda squares. You will have to tell us what you decided to do with them. Your dog is just adorable too!
Micki

Beth Karese said...

Caitlin's quilt is adorable! All those fabric goodies... I'm partial to the red. Miss Martha looks like a happy girl and those California Tree Poppies are simply amazing.

taylorsoutback said...

Such a happy quilt! The flowers are so sweet. I had to do a double take reading about your temps in the 30s 'til remembering you are in summer & that would be celcius. We are heading into winter with snow predicted for Thanksgiving...our landscape is all brown now except for the evergreens. What fun to see your flowers & think about your summer days!

Thank you for sharing.

taylorsoutback said...

oops! that should be centigrade?? Not celcius...

And love your beautifully coiffed pooch - all 3 of ours need an appointment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin