Tuesday, 1 December 2009

Advent, Indulgence and a bargain............

So today is December 1st and the first day of Advent, today is the day all the kids get to open their Advent calendars and eat their first piece of chocolate!! Today is the day all of us adults that are taking part in Fiona & Jo's Advent Swap, get to open present #25......Yippee..........soooo, this is what Fiona sent me for the first day of our swap.....................

..............fabulous pink thread and Lindt chocolate (which is sadly gone now 'cos Lindt is my absolute favourite chocolate in the whole wide world.........sigh!) but it was deeelicious, thanks Fee, can't wait for tomorrow!!
On Sunday 'He Who Works' started his holidays, lucky for him really because he got to escape the changeover of rail operators in Melbourne, he is now employed by Metro - whoopee - that's going to make a HUGE difference - not! So anyway, we took ourselves off for a day out. Drove over to Maldon for morning tea. Quick (as if) wander around the quilt shop, then round a few of the other shops where we found our bargain of the year!!


This gorgeous cedar table was shoved at the back of the Old Grain Store antique shop, it had old (read ancient) lino nailed on the top, it still has the original old castor's on the legs. Fortunately for us the lady that owns the place is selling up and getting out of the business, she had no idea what timber it was (we had a fair idea that it was cedar) and sold it to us for $450. We're pretty sure that it's turn of the 20th century, definitely no later that about 1905, love it, love it, love it. Now we do have somewhat of a surfeit of tables at our place! One in the dining room, one I use for sewing, another John uses to build his doll houses on in his shed and another that you can see stacked with 'stuff' at the back of the shed, all of them at one time dining tables! Oh yes, and a small one on the verandah with pot plants on! That's the advantage of being married to a man who builds furniture as a hobby! Anyway, this one is well on the way to being restored and should be in the dining room by tomorrow night!! Now, what are we going to do with the two year old French Provincial table we already have in there??
When we left Maldon with a promise to return the next day in the ute to pick up our treasure, we pointed the Mazda in the direction of Castlemaine, there to go to Threadbear Quilt shop where Di Ford was launching her new pattern 'Ann's Legacy. It was lovely to meet Di and her new quilt is gorgeous, BUT, my heart belongs to this one.....................
......................Phebe's Quilt, still by Di Ford, just adorable, this one she told me, was the pattern before Ann's Legacy. I just loved everything about it, colours, tiny little squares, fabulous applique and the stars! Oh those stars are wonderful. So of course (what else did you expect?) I bought the pattern and a starter pack of fabrics and I shall start it......................?? Next year!!
I did take some photo's of the Civil War Bride Quilt while I was there, the photo's are over on the CWBQ blog, still a gorgeous quilt.



Just adorable isn't it? How could I resist it? I couldn't could I? I'm so glad that you agree. LOL!
So as a final hurrah, I thought I would show you the start of my Christmas decorating.

I don't know whether you can actually catch it, but the fire is lit! It's been so cool here with all the rain that we lit the fire again! Can you believe it after all that heat we had the other week - crazy weather, lets hope it settles down now that December is here?

I'll be back in a few days to show you what else the lovely Fiona has sent in the advent swap, stay tuned, more goodies for me! ;o)

15 comments:

PatchworkRose said...

Jist love the phebe quilt too. That is going to look so nice. Gorgeous starter pack too. Hope you feel spoilt :-) Love the Table. I have bought the boys a Lindt Advent calender as they love it too.
So glad you had a great day
Cheers
Lynne

Julie said...

Phebe's quilt is just breathtakingly beautiful. I can see why you weakened.

Miriam said...

I love all of Di's quilts!!

Lovely table!

Rebecca said...

What a lucky girl you are, nice presant for the first of December. As for Di's quilt WOW I to would love to make it. So I will have to keep my eyes out unless you could please tell me where I could get it from Thanks
Hugs Bec

Teresa said...

Hi Lizzie,

I went to the Threadbear sight, and that is my next favorite quilt there as well!! Maybe we could do that one next year after the CWBQ is done!! Gorgeous table find...lucky you!!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Karen said...

Beautiful table! I love old furniture. And, how could you not resist that beautiful pattern! Excellent starter fabric. I look forward to watching your progress in the New Year.

Margaret said...

Oh I love Phebe as well! It's a real problem since I haven't done any quilting recently. lol! Thanks for the lovely pictures of Phebe (and of the CWBQ on that blog). I so wish I could have gone to Threadbear. You have so many great quilt shops down under! Love your table find too. My hubbie will be off to use up his vacation days starting around the 12th. :D

Francien said...

What a beautiful table Lizzie...i love antique fourniture..i have it combined with some new things...lots of whimsycal goodies...and quilts on the chairs...your table would look much better here!!...lol...just joking...you will put it to good use i am sure...and that quilt...i never could do that...its gorgious..such beautyful fabrics you bought...love the colors...and your decorations...what can i say...it looks so cosy...and your big snowman is adorable!! and yes...this is the month for Lindt....lots of Lindt..i have banned the weightscale from the house into the shet for a month and stock-up the chocolate..just wish for a little snow over the two Christmasdays..oh well can't have it all..i am satisfied with my Lindt...
greetings ♥ Francien.

Sue said...

Wow, that table was a great find but then again you are a great shopper. I'm loving this advent swap too, your goodies are gorgeous.

Roseanne said...

I love your table what a luck find. one all cleand up it should look great in your home.

Janet said...

The table is a fantastic find. Thanks for sharing the photos of Di's quilts, they are glorious. Enjoy your advent pressys!

Micki said...

Phoebe's quilt truly is lovely...I can see why you couldn't resist it.
Micki

Kim said...

What a fun day of discoveries! Love it all. I have the very same wood burning stove as you have there. It's in my kitchen. It's burning top heat today. 20 degrees and windy with snow flurries here in Minnesota today.

Deb said...

I just found your blog and have to agree with you wholeheartedly that Phebe's quilt is just drop dead gorgeous. So much so, that I had to order it - no thought needed! I can't wait to receive the pattern and get started! And I'm not an appliquer, but I'm going to be if it gets the best of me.

You're making lovely progress on the CWBQ. I would love to make that one too, but thought I'd get my feet web with Phebe. Love your blog and I'll vist more to keep up with your progress.

Deb said...

OOOh you did do well. Gorgeous table - what a bargain. And now I understand the swap. What a great idea. And all that stash from Threadbears will keep you busy. Can't wait to see what you do with Phebe. I think I'm caught up now. Hope you're enjoying the Christmas madness in your spare seconds.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin