Wednesday, 27 January 2010

Bath Time for some Australian babies...........


Right outside our bedroom we have a small fish pond with a little fountain in it. It's underneath a huge curly willow tree so we have birds coming down to bathe and drink all the time. It's in the shade and on a hot day it's lovely for man and bird to sit and listen to the splash of the water.



Yesterday morning there were around 12 young Rosella's in and around the pond for an hour or so.


My apologies for the quality of the photo's, they were taken through the fly screen on the window of our bedroom, so hence the fuzzy appearance. I was only about two metres away though so was able to take some reasonable close ups.

All these birds are this seasons fledglings, their feathers are still mostly green but by next summer they will have their trademark 'crimson' feathers.
For nearly an hour it was a watery day care centre for young parrots.................

......................this little guy spent 20 minutes on this rock washing and splashing around.



.................bathing with a friend...........


....................look at me, look at me.............



.............will I or won't I............?????



I felt very priviliged to be able to stand at my window and watch and record these Australian beauties at play on a perfect Australia Day morning...................

15 comments:

Julie said...

Aren't they cute. Thats a great bath you have for them. I pop the sprinkler on, on these hot days for my baby magpies, we get a few parrots, especially at the moment with all the fruit on the trees!!!!

sue said...

Thanks for the photos of the parrots. It is really gray and cold here in the northern US and we don't have parrots. They are really cool. They made my day.

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

they are just fascinating, How wonderful to catch them with their antics.

Lurline said...

Lizzie, they are just so beautiful - thanks for taking the pics!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Deb said...

Gorgeous gorgeous birds. Aren't their colours glorious? Lived in Armadale (northern NSW) for a year and loved watching flocks of these flying around. Don't see them much this close to the city anymore.

Sue said...

What a treat for you Lizzie, I love getting close to nature too.

Posie Patchwork said...

Gorgeous, so beautiful & great shots too, love Posie

Rebecca said...

What a real treat I love to watch the birds take a bath in our old house not here becouse of the wide cats. I will have to think of a way to make them a bath that is safe to use.
Hugs Bec

beck said...

I love to watch birds in our garden and am always marvelling at their different habits & ways. So I loved this post and your photo's were excellent! Thanks for sharing this simple & beautiful part of your day xo

Teresa said...

Those are incredibly beautiful birds!! They really touched me as I was reading this morning. We don't have anything like that here in the states. It makes me want to look them up on the internet and learn more about them and see what they look like as adults!!

Thank you for such a beautiful post!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Margaret said...

Oh my! What beautiful birds! It always amazes me that you all have these wild birds that we think of only as domesticated. Thanks for the pics!

Sue-Anne said...

Geat photos! They look like they are having so much fun. The colours are beautiful.

Fiona said...

Simply beautiful - You are very lucky to have them visit

Francien said...

What a beautiful birds Lizzie...and what a great sight that must be..bet you could look at them for hours...did wrote a comment yesterday but did something wrong i guess (age?!) sorry about that...wish it looked a bit here like in your garden...its grey and very cold here...the now wet snow is falling and its a bit freezing too so the roads are very dangerous..glad to be inside and look at your beautiful pictures...thanks for sharing..
greetings ♥ Francien.

Sandy said...

Cute, cute birds !!! You are lucky that they come to visit your bath. I'm from South Georgia, US, and what is a lamington?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin