Sunday, 10 January 2010

Hot, Hot, Hot................

.........the temp here at the moment is 43C, we're in a bit of a valley and in the summer it's a heat trap, equally in the winter it's really cold! I'm not complaining mind, I do love the hot weather and I sympathise with all my friends in the Northern Hemisphere. I had an email from my cousins wife in England this morning, they live in a little place called Knott End, not far from Blackpool. It's a port village, across the estuary from Fleetwood and snow isn't a usual thing, certainly not on the ground for so long! They had a white Christmas and it's still snowing! Not quaint anymore! Just cold.

Anyway, only a couple of quilting photo's to show you today, I finally finished another block of the CWBQ, this one took me sooooo long to do, not because it was difficult of course, just because it was put aside in the rush and hurry of Christmas and it was hard to pick up again. I only had one leaf to applique but I just couldn't be bothered with it, it's not my favourite block either so that made it easier to just ignore it for a while.

I also finished this block for the online quilting bee, this is
Elaine's block and she wanted 'Wonky Stars'. It was fun to do and I can see myself making a quilt out of this block in the future. Elaine sent the background fabric and asked everyone to use their stash for the stars, how colourful is it going to be??


Some more shots from my garden, I took these yesterday. How gorgeous is this Calla, it looks as if it's lit from inside

Doesn't the pollen look like corn kernels?
Lily Pilly flowers, tiny little pearls that burst open to reveal little tendrils to attract the bees......
The 'Pierre de Ronsard' climbing up to meet the bluer than blue Australian summer sky.........


..........pretty little Fuschia hiding with some miniature white Agapanthus under the trees where it's shady and cool..........

.........I don't know what this rose is called, I just love the way it's hugging the side of the old fountain that we use as a bird bath in the rose garden................

.......tall red Hollyhocks at the side of the verandah, I can see them now through my window, the sun shining through the flowers making them almost luminescent............

.....and finally, some pretty pink Hydrangea, starting to fade to that gorgeous soft green that will stay now until autumn....

.............the sunflowers should be out in a week or two (thanks Julie) and the Day Lillies should be back in flower soon too. I love our garden at this point in summer, it's still green and lush. Especially this year as we had a decent amount of moisture in late spring, before the intense, unrelenting heat of summer sears it all brown and withered.............then it all comes back with the first autumn rains, sigh! Isn't mother nature wonderful............

14 comments:

Julie said...

Very sweaty here too. Blah.
Flowers are all lovely, do you dry your hydrangas? Jealous you can grow hollyhocks too, I'm yet to find a spot they really thrive in here. I'd love a couple of seeds off your stunning red one if you remember. Wish we were closer we could swap cuttings.

Cathy said...

Yep, warm here too, and warmer tomorrow!! Your cwbq block looks great Lizzie, I love your bird. Your garden pics are always amazing, I feel that I have taken a turn in your garden just by looking at them! xo

Posie Patchwork said...

That's a scorcher, i just posted about my head aching in the heat, only 37C here in Canberra today, merely average, he he, love Posie

lynee said...

Wow a hot one eh? I have 2 daughters and families that live in Ballarat, I love Ballarat, I'm in Brisbane and we never well at least in the 20 years I've lived here had temps that high but we get the humidity, which can only be escaped through air con.
Your 2 blocks are great, may the beginning of 2010 be good and you get much sewing done.
I have 6 grandchildren, which have all been recipients of my quilts as well as nieces and nephews any excuse to make a quilt.
Lyn

Janet said...

It's good you got to finish the block, sometimes it happens towards the end. I understand. The flowers in your garden are looking fabulous, lucky you got that rain recently. Scorcher coming here tomorrow.

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Beautiful summer garden .... my garden is all ice and snow ... pretty, but sooo cold. I think I'll have another look at yours instead!

Francien said...

Its the same here in Holland like in England...we live here a bit remote from the big city's and today it snows again..since Christmas exually every day...there is about 10-12cm on the ground now and very cold and windy...dont like it anymore...this is toomuch..longing for the Springs now as i see your lovely flowers...what a great garden you have...my favorite is the hydrangea...i make the most lovely whreats with them and they dry in nicely with the most beautiful color then..a bit green/blue-ish...i love your "wonkey star"wunderful fabric ...look like that is not hard to do? will checkout Elaine's blog too..enjoy your garden...time flyes...it will soon be winter at your place again...
have a great week!!
greetings ♥ Francien

Cubby House Crafts said...

Great pictures of your flowers! I onlky took a picture of my lilly pilly with a bee a few weeks ago...Is that the one that has the purple berry after flowering?

PatchworkRose said...

Roll on Autumn I say
I have had enough of summer. It is 10.12pm and still about 35 outside. Today was a scorcher. The power went off for 3+hours this afternoon and it is going to be 43 tomorrow. I do feel for those on the other side of the world too. Gee don't you wish you could just flick a switch. No sewing done. Cut a shirt out though and went to see Sherlock Holmes. It was much cooler at the movies. :-)
Stay Sane Lizzie :-)))
Just so love your Garden
Cheers
Lynne

Margaret said...

Love your latest CWBQ block! And also your garden pics. How do you get such lovely snaps? And such lovely flowers for that matter? My green thumb is nonexistent! lol! It's so nice to have Australian blogs -- I can see wonderful summertime pics in the heart of winter up here! Just think of me shivering in the cold and maybe you'll feel a little cooler! :D

Bobbie Ashley said...

Lizzie,

I just adore your garden, thanks so much for the pictures. Hooray for the CWQB finish. It is so beautiful.

Cheers,
Bobbie
www.bobbieashley.com

Posie Patchwork said...

Still marvelling at your flowers, no matter how much water - we are killing off non natives at a fast rate here in Canberra. Not my choice, Army house with Army issue plants!! Such a shame, love Posie

Micki said...

I can't imagine hot temps. like that! Lovely CWBQ block, and I really loved the pics of the flowers.
Micki

Kim said...

Very cold here, lol, you are making so wanting for summer to come back with these gorgeous flowers, I can barely stand it! But thanks for sharing/torturing me anyway, lol.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin