Thursday, 14 January 2010

In the Genes...........

..........I'm reasonable sure that it must be genetic, this desire to create something using fabric and thread............
My sewing room was overtaken this week by a very enthusiastic visitor! Caitlin (granddaughter #2) spent the week here as she trys to do most school holidays. The beginning of the week was so hot that we couldn't do very much at all so she decided that a bit of practice with the sewing machine was the way to go. We all know that it's no good trying to practice on something that we don't have any enthusiasm for, so we chose to make a cushion for her bed. I had a small piece of fabric that was left over from her bedroom curtains (the black Ikea fabric) so she decided that was going to be it!!
She did a pretty good job and as you can most probably tell by the look on her face, really enjoyed herself!! She also made herself two pouch purses but I didn't get photo's of those.
I do have clever grandchildren you know!!!!
She sustained her creative juices with liberal amounts of treats.....................
..............not all as deliciously indulgent as dessert on Tuesday!! I have to tell you that she posted a photo of her Sundae creation on my facebook page with the sole intention of making her brother jealous - it worked too!!

Yesterday we took ourselves off to the shopping centre and had a little retail therapy, with liberal treats of muffins and fast food lunch. I will have to get serious with the Wii fit next week!!!!!!!





So as to the genetic statement..............




Caitlin - learning to sew
Her Mum - learnt to sew at about the same age
Me - I've always sewed something as long as I can remember
My Mum - has always sewed
My maternal grandfather - was the sewer in the family, I still have a crib that he made for me when I was born, stitched from canvas.
My maternal g. grandfather - was a tailor...........
beyond that I don't know, but it sure would be interesting to find out!!



9 comments:

By Hoki Quilts said...

Hi Liz
I can't wait until my grand-daughters are old enough to 'play' in my sewing room, they are only puddling with beads at the moment but it's a start - yeah
Miche'le

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

what a lovely post, and what a delightful grand daughter you have, Lovely stuff!!

Posie Patchwork said...

It's what you know & learning from example, i come from a long line of professional seam stresses, but i didn't start sewing until i was 23, pregnant with my 1st child & had finished 2 degrees at Uni, but you guessed it, i'm now a professional seam stress too!! It's in your blood, i'm much happier as a housewife & mother of 4 than i ever was working!! As for my children, they've all been sewing since they were tiny. Love Posie

Margaret said...

Lizzie, that is just soooo cool!! So wonderful that Caitlin is following in the footsteps of so many of her family. I loved hearing the history of sewing in your family -- so so cool! And what fun that you two got to have some retail therapy and a bit of yumminess along with it!

Francien said...

I am going to pass on that Lizzie...because i dont have any granddaugthers...mayby my little grandson likes too quilt later.. hes is only 4...i have learned it from my Mum...what a lovely pictures you have there...lovely Caitlyn..fabric..and that treat!!!Who would not love too learn at your place!!
greetings ♥ Francien.

Frogdancer said...

My mother and sister sewed... I knitted.

Until two years ago that is, when I started quilting. Maybe it IS genetic!

Posie Patchwork said...

Glad you liked my flower post, give it a try with your grandchildren or it's lovely for adults too!! Just posted about my girls wearing my wedding dress, so beautiful. Fun & games in the school holidays. Love Posie

Deb said...

Well she's just too cute..... and I love the continuity of creativity in your family.

Mistea said...

Sure am glad that the genes are carrying on through the generations. Some of my fondest memories are of my granny teaching me all the crafts that she enjoyed into her 90's. I inherited her last sewing machine, her first one is with and aunt, but I don't think our pedigree comes close to yours. Lucky Caitlin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin