Saturday, 16 January 2010

My Bee Balm month..........

You know that I belong to an online quilting bee 'The Bee Balm', well February is my month for everyone to make a block for my quilt.......Yay!!!!!!!!!!
I've had lots of time to work out what I wanted everyone to do for my block as I'm the 6th month, half way through.
This gorgeous chocolate brown and white fabric is my background and this is what I wrote on my post yesterday.....................
"This chocolate and white is the background fabric and that's all I'm sending, the rest is your choice..............? I'm making a 16" block with applique on it, using probably the fabrics below, mainly aqua, pinks, some blue and some green.
You can use whatever you like and put the block together however you like!!!
I'd like a finished size of 16", so 16 and a half I guess OR anything divisable to make that size! For example, 4 X 8" blocks or two panels of 8"X 16".........does that make sense??
I don't mind as long as I can fit them all together later. Your choice of piecing or applique, hand or machine stitched, stars, logs, flowers!! I just want something that you would make for yourself, you know, something that's you - not me! I'm hoping that the background will pull it all together later, what do you think? Am I mad? No, don't answer that it's rhetorical! Really it is!"
Well, I posted all the envelopes then went home to start my block, I had a fair idea of what I was going to do, but I was really making it up as I went along. Just as well it was free and easy, I discovered that I had cut all the fabric wrong............I'd cut the pieces at 13" x 22" instead of 17" x 22"! After I had asked everyone to give me a 16" square! That would still be fine for those that were going to do a pieced block, but anyone who wanted to applique would have to piece the block together first.

I decided that as I had sent that size to everyone else then I should use that size too! I cut the fabric down to 16 1/2" x 12 1/2" then cut some 2 1/2" blocks from the off cut. Remember way back last year, about November I think, I bought the sample boxes from Moda. This sample of 'Frolic' by Sandy Gervais looked like great colours to go with the brown.


I made a chequer board border for the side of the block and ended up with my 16 1/2" square that I wanted in the first place.

Some raw edge applique...................



............and here's my block!! I love the way it's turned out, the colours work really well together, very summery. Now I wonder what everyone else will do? I can't wait to see all the other blocks that will go into my 'international' quilt.





15 comments:

Posie Patchwork said...

What an exciting adventure to see what other people send you. Have fun, love Posie

Margaret said...

Wow, I love what you did!! I guess your cutting mistake was a happy happenstance! It will be fun to see what the others in your group come up with!

GRAÇA said...

Muito bonitos estes tecidos
Bjs
Bom domingo
Graça

Janet said...

Wow, that's gorgeous chocolate fabric and the applique is looking so jazzy. It's going to be fun to see what you recieve.

PatchworkRose said...

Lizzie How exciting! and how interesting. Cannot wait.
Keep having fun
Cheers
Lynne

Deb said...

Well Lizzie I think that was meant to be - your block looks gorgeous and the border absolutely makes it. Fabulous.

Francien said...

That Chocolate fabric is so beautiful...and your block turned out awesome..like the whimsical flower....happy mistake the cutting...cant wait what the other will be
sending you..hope you like it all what the other girls are making...
greetings ♥ Francien.

Karen said...

Love your block Lizzie! How exciting it must be, waiting on the others.

Sue said...

Lizzie, there are no such things as mistakes. It's just another path and a fabulous one. I cant wait to see the other blocks.

Frogdancer said...

That's funny. It's SO something I would do...

clare's craftroom said...

What a fun block it looks great !

Micki said...

I love the chocolate background material and the applique on it...all goes beautifully together.
Micki

Micki said...

I forgot to ask what is that luscious chocolate fabric.
Micki

Annie said...

I love the block Lizzy - the raw edge applic... is fantastic. I'm in a swap too, and my month is coming up soon. I have to get all the fabric organised.

Sew Useful Designs said...

Oh WOW Lizzie!

What a fabulous, funky and drop-dead-gorgeous block! I love it! :-)

Hugs!!!! Vikki xoxo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin