Monday, 4 January 2010

New Beginnings.................

......I've never been fond of new year resolutions, they always seem to me to be rash decisions. You know the ones? Promises made at the end of a long year - to be better, slimmer, kinder, happier, more tolerant. To eat healthier, to spend more time with family, to do this, finish that, start something wonderful!!!! But then again I haven't celebrated new year since I was twenty something and single and trust me, that's an awful long time ago! Speaking of which, this year is rather significant for me I guess. This is the year that the calendar tells me I will turn 60!! I'd like to think that it's just another year, somewhat the same as last year and not a lot different to next year, but it's not really is it? Someone in the supermarket last week called me 'dear'!!! Now I like to think that I'm pretty good for an old tart, I'm not hugely vain, I'm quite happy to not wear loads of make up. Yes I dye my hair but in another life I was a hairdresser, so it's a habit of long standing to do 'something' to my hair!! The thing in the supermarket was because I slipped on a lettuce leaf on the floor, I didn't go down, just lost my footing for a second. A woman standing just a short distance away grabbed my arm and said "are you alright dear?". Now I admit, she could have just been a very caring person, well she was really, it was just the whole demeanor. She obviously thought that I merited the whole 'dear' thing (and a pat on the arm!!). She was I suppose in her 30s, perhaps mid 30s and yes, I suppose she was about half my age, but come on, I'm not in my dotage - yet!!
Anyway, all this rambling on isn't getting me where I think I should be!
Being as I don't do resolutions, new year of otherwise - this isn't one...........but I have decided that I do need to lose a wee bit of weight! So I bought this on Saturday.......................

....................being that we live in a rural area and even picking up the mail involves starting the car, I decided that a gym membership just wasn't going to work. Walking is not an easy task around here either - no footpaths. Since I had my hip replaced three years ago, walking on uneven ground is a bit off putting, so at home was the only way to go. Plus no one can see how ridiculous I look in gym wear ( I did tell you I wasn't vain didn't I?). So, I have to tell you that I ache in places I didn't know I had!!!! Seriously, do you know how addictive Wii tennis is?????????? LOL! Oh yes, and I'd forgotten how much fun it is to use a hula hoop, well, except there isn't really a hoop is there? Just me on a balance board, wiggling my hips and hoping they stay in place................I love it!!!!! I'm having so much fun I might even crack open the Mario game that came with it ;o)

So now that you've all had a laugh at the thought of me wiggling my hips around the lounge room on to some serious stuff...............


......this is the December block for the online quilting bee I belong to, how fabulous is this one going to be? Twelve blocks like this one will look so bright and cheerful, I haven't done foundation piecing before but this has put thoughts of stash busting on the agenda - maybe!

Here's some more of the things I made before Christmas............

I made this bag for Sarah (youngest daughter) to carry to and from Uni this year, she's a very vibrant soul and this will make an excellent carry all for her...........
............I lined it with this funky dog bone fabric and put interfacing between the crochet outside and the lining, to give it some extra strength. I got the pattern from here. This lady is amazing with a crochet hook and generously shares her patterns on her blog.

The pattern and tutorial for this pencil roll is from You Go Girl and is incredibly easy to make.

Our youngest grandson is starting school in Perth this month so now he can take a bit of his nana with him everyday. Oh yes, he loves it and won't let his sisters touch it!!!!
They're not fussed though because all the girls got these as part of their Christmas gifts.......

...........funky street satchels from a pattern by Moonshine Designs. The two eldest girls got the 'Birds from Norway' fabric, Miss 10 got the pink and green and Miss 8's is the lavender princess fabric.

I have one more to make of these. Sarah wants one to carry her laptop to and from Uni, as it crosses over your chest (doesn't hang off one shoulder) it's a good distribution of weight for carrying. It's the easiest pattern to make and the girls, especially the 12yr-olds, just adore them. That's a winner then!!!
Now it's time to get on with other things that were left behind in the pre Christmas frenzy, back to the 'bride' and a start on Phebe, I would really like to make a quilt for our bed this year (ha, as if) and February is my month in the online bee. I've been thinking of something different for that and I've only got a couple of weeks to set that in motion. Oh yes, and I've joined a BOM, did I tell you that already? It's the Sue Spargo one, mmmm, can't wait for that to start. I'm really excited about doing some applique with wool and other fabrics and her designs are amazing. Sounds like I'll be busy hey? No time to get old this year then...................................

12 comments:

Teresa said...

Got to love those calendars that talk...mine is reminding me that I turn 50 in December 2010. Somewhere I remember making a list of things I wanted to do before I turned 50. I think it will be a busy year, whether or not I find the list!!

Have a great new year!!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Janet said...

Didn't you do good! I love all the gifts you've made. I have that crochet bag nerly finished except for want of one strap and a flower. I like the idea of lining it. Laughing at the story!

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

Happy New Year, I too Love the wii, my son bought it to encourage me to exercise, and it works! it does not feel like work cos it is so much fun. Love the bright and vibrant gifts you have made too. All the best for 2010

Sue said...

Lizzie you leave me exhausted. Bags, blocks and balancing, I can hardly keep up. And I'm a V. slightly newer model who is often asked if she would like the pensioner discount!! Must do something with this grey hair!

Margaret said...

I don't think the "dear" means anything. I've had people call me that and felt that it was because they thought me young. Of course, that was years ago. lol! The Wii Fit is great fun! I'm not that hot on the hula hoop, but it's fun anyway! And my, your grandkids are lucky to have such a grandmother as you! Such wonderful things you've made for them! Now me, forget it! lol! I still haven't started the CWBQ, and I want to do Phebe too. This stitching stuff keeps getting in the way! lol! I need to buy me a light table.....

Sweet P said...

Wow! You have been busy! All of those projects are adorable. I've been thinking about buying Wii Fitness too since my son gave us their Wii system. Good luck.

Deb said...

I just love all the gifts you've made. You've really been busy. You're going to love the Wii Fit. I have a lot of fun with mine - there are a lot of different things to do on it!!

Francien said...

Oh Lizzie...i just made a small post about my weight too...i am just to fat...so i am gonna try and stay away from the chocolate and cakes even if they "shout" at me at our lovely little Bakery here...He makes the most lovely and tasty bread and all sorts of cupcakes tarts etc...you know the kind of little shop...one- man- handled..has little plates standing for the customers to try all sorts of little goodies he made that day...all looking so tastie and have to try them ofcouse....can't eat any calories for the week after you have "just wanna to get a bread"at his bakery..Hope you have success whilest playing with your Wii..
LOVE all of your bags!!...and the pencilcase too..and i really thought that "dear"was a very nice word to call someone... i have wrote and called you that in some comments i recall..sorry...lol...did not had an dotage one in mind then as a wrote it..i am turning 62!!the 18th..so mayby i am a bit allowed to had called you "dear"...wont do it again...lol...and i too have to dye my vanishing "gingerhead"by buying the helping hand of "Mr. L"Oreal"...
greetings ♥ Francien.

Micki said...

Hi Lizzie! Yes, I can identify with all that you said as I am turning 60 this June coming up. It's all a state of mind, and I am a kid at heart. I also have the Wii plus, and love it. I also got a dvd called DanceX Revolution which is so much fun and what a workout! Good luck with the Wii!
Micki

Corrie said...

wow you were busy!!!!! love everything you made and would love a wii fit! just don't get enough time so use chasing my kids as my exercise for now!

btw my mum turned 60 last year and she sounds like you, doesn't feel it and certainly not ready to be called a dear, her 80 something mum is a dear!

corrie:)

Annie said...

Lizzy, I LOVED your flower pics, and your great pics of Melbourne!!Baby Tom was pretty cute too!

Cath Ü said...

Tons of stuff int hat post well done.. I have a Wii Fit plus too and it works for me... I love having a go on it I try to get on everyday and do 30 mins....
Cath Ü

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin