Monday, 22 February 2010

It's been a while..........

..........but yes, I'm still here! I just seem to have been so busy for the last few weeks! So before He Who Works, drags me off to follow him to the auto-repair shop (his ute is very poorly), I thought I might be able to get some photo's loaded and some words written for posterity........
The circus quilt...............hmmmm, you just wouldn't believe how much 'reverse sewing' (unpicking) I've done on this thing. The last time you saw it there was a very in-your-face chequerboard border around the big top? Yes? Yes, well, that came off as I couldn't bear to look at it anymore, it was giving me headaches!!!! So then I had a border of blue circus fabric and then a border of prairie points in orange and yellow stripes. That looked OK but I couldn't for the life of me get it to stay square at the bottom. No matter what I did it just wouldn't work. So, when all else fails - screw it up, throw in the corner and walk away!!! I started another quilt just for me, no photo's yet (I forgot), anyway, it's nearly finished! It's not a big quilt, just to go over the arm of the lounge for cool nights, but it's lovely and light and summery. Should be finished soon so I'll take photo's then. But I digress! Back to the circus. On Friday I decided that I would give it one more go and if I couldn't do anything with it over the weekend then it would go in the garbage!!
This is what I ended up with and believe it or not, I'm quite happy with the way it's progressing so far. It's a bit further along than the photo's, I have raw edge appliqued all the elephants around the outside and nearly finished going over the machine stitching with dmc thread in a plain running stitch. I still have some detail to put on the matriarch elephant and she will have something in her trunk I think??? Flower? Balloon? I think I'm just going to put another small red frame around the outside, then finish with the prairie points instead of binding, hopefully to represent circus bunting...........We shall see how it goes from here, I'd really like to finish it.
I'm back, not that you knew I'd gone anywhere of course. But I did. Followed 'He Who Works' up to MotorPro in Ballarat, waited patiently (honestly) while they had 'man talk' about heads, pistons, valves and things (interpretation - it's gonna cost a lot!!) then drove him home. He's now esconsed in his shed working on his reproduction shop drawers, they're very nice too, I'll show you when they're finished! Back to work for him tomorrow, working for the man, well, Metro anyway.............

Some photo's of my sunflowers for you to ooohhh & aaahhh over. Way back last year Julie asked if anyone wanted any sunflower seeds..............

..............so of course, up went my hand, always in line for seeds and always happy when they are shared.........

....I took these photo's the other day during the hot weather and they were turning their golden faces up to the sun. There's something about sunflowers with the sun shining on them, they just make me so happy. It's almost as if they are storing all that wonderful warmth and golden glow to send out on a cloudy day...........sigh..........

The sunflowers in the above photo's were planted about three weeks before the ones below, you can see that they are more mature and a lot taller than the ones in the following photo's....

.......this is the view from the dining room window, so having breakfast on a sunny morning is a hardship! You can tell can't you??

Happy, happy, happy flowers....................

.........BUT..................
look at these leaves from the ornamental grape vine!!!!
Too early!
It hardly seems like we've had summer and here in the highlands little, subtle signs of things to come! The night temperatures are already dropping, unless it's really hot there is a hint of dew on the grass in the early morning. We've had such a wet month (compared to the past few years) that everything is green and lush, I expect if things keep going the way they are, we should have some awesome autumn colour. Good photo season is autumn in the hills!!

I couldn't resist showing you this photo of the children! It was a totally spontaneous thing for them both. I was sitting watching something on the idiot box while hand quilting (on the quilt you haven't seen yet) when they both walked over and jumped on a chair each, did the usual turn around a couple of times, then lay down in exactly the same positions and promptly went to sleep!! That was the last I heard of them for a couple of hours........honestly, it was a perfect 'funniest home video' moment, but of course, no video so a still had to do, love it.
Have a good week....................................

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

OHHHH AHHHHHHH love the sun flowers one of the nices things about summer I think and I too can see winter is just around the corner here in QLD. Although nothing like your leaves, just the movement of the sun. I think your Circus quilt is comming along well and I carn't wait to see the finished thing.
Big hugs Bec

Sue said...

Sunflowers, circuses and bookend dogs....what a perfect day. You've made me smile.

Julie said...

Your puppies are very cute. Love the sunflower pics too, don't they make you feel good. I'm sad mine have finished flowering. Saved plenty of seeds again for next year again. I love them.

Teresa said...

I really like the direction your circus quilt is going...what a beautiful head ornament the momma is wearing! I love the circus parade of colorful wee ones wandering around the outside. Spot on.

I had a project like yours a few years ago...started and ripped out several ideas. After about 2 years of creative spurts (and un-spurts!), it finally seemed right. Sometimes the creativity comes out the hot water tap, sometimes the cold one.

Your sunflowers are glorious!! Very nice views for a Michigander who got 6-7 inches of the white nightmare overnight, with 3-6 more promised today...ugh...

Have you thought of drawing up your circus quilt and publishing it?? It is really quite lovely!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Margaret said...

Very Nice! I like how the circus quilt is coming out! And your sunflowers are beautiful! Don't you hate when you have to drive back and forth for the sake of fixing cars? And when it costs an arm and a leg? Sigh. Love the pic of the two in the chairs -- how funny is that! lol!

Kim said...

Wish I could wriggle my way through the computer monitor straight into one of those lovely warm garden photos. I can feel how good the warm summer day feels on my cold bones, lol and can picture myself resting in the garden, enjoying the pretty flowers...lovely thought, sigh. Good thing that you had a moment to share happy quilts and contented creatures! :-D

Francien said...

Well Lizzie...Miss Saigon would be proud of you if she could see your lovely quilt..she could be the one with the ornament...
and those sunflowers..they really are so beautiful..can't wait to pick them here in Holland again...thanks for sharing those pictures...and your two children are so cute!! if you would like them to do that for a picture or video they won't!!super you had your camera ready...
greetings ♥ Francien.

Lurline said...

I love your circus and those little elephants. Beautiful sunflowers, we don't see them here!Nice to see your 'children' are quietly settled!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Karen 'n Chris said...

Oh I so wish we could move back to the highlands. Dont get the change of seasons here so much. Its either hot or cold, Summer or Winter, not a lot of inbetween. I miss the cool mornings, warm days and crisp nights.

Sunflowers are the happiest flowers in any garden. Guaranteed to bring a smile to any face. Just like the animals that share our lives. Love the dogs.
The circus quilt is really, really cute. Looking forward to seeing the finished item.

Bernadette said...

Love the circus and your fabrics and I agree it is starting to feel like Autumn, my favourite season!

Sue-Anne said...

Love the puppies on the chairs, they look so comfortable! That Circus quilt is stunning, and so are those sunflowers.

Micki said...

I love your circus quilt, and well, your dogs definitely look as spoiled as ours are. Your garden is just lovely. I would love to sit there and read.
Micki

Bev C said...

Love the photo of your children!!! Really well behaved. Thank you for the photo's of the sunflowers and your garden,wonderful.
Bev.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin