Sunday, 28 February 2010

Oooppps..............

I'm one of those people that can't abide bad spelling, way back in the caveman days, when I went to school, we had to learn by rote. We had spelling bees and I always won, honestly, always!!! I'm also one of those people who can't abide bad grammar! I have been known to yell at the computer screen (when reading something) 'ITS SAW NOT SEEN'! You can't say 'I seen that movie' it has to be 'I saw that movie' and I will admit to actually correcting someone face to face for that very same mistake!!! I was mortified as soon as the words were out of my mouth and I did apologise profusely, luckily for me it was a friend of a friend of a friend type thing and MY friend just laughed because she knows what I'm like!
I know it's sad hey, but it's just one of those things that I'm really, really pedantic about!
Well, this wasn't actually a spelling mistake, but a mistake it was!!!! Thanks to the two ladies that pointed it out - in the nicest possible way of course!!
I mean, it could have said 'quite, please.' and might have made a teeny bit of sense but 'quite please' makes no sense at all does it???

..........of course it should have said 'quiEt please', just a slip of the keyboard and there it was, out in the world for everyone to see! What I can't believe is that this had been on my wall looking at me for at least a week, I had moved the little signs around on the quilt, stood back and admired THEN stitched them on. All before I posted to here! He Who Works had inspected and declared that yes he liked that, had a little chuckle and being such a loyal soul, had declared it wonderful!!

The dilemma now is how do I sew the new piece on? I had stitched all of them on before sandwiching and starting to quilt so none of the stitching shows through to the back! I can't just stitch one sign right through, it has to be all or none doesn't it? It wouldn't bother me that much really except that I have promised to display this in our local quilt show, and it's a bit like spelling isn't it? I don't mind that it's not award winningly perfect, but stupid mistakes are not allowed!!!!

I think that I will stitch the new sign with black thread before I put it on the quilt then just hand stitch it to the sign post, that should do the trick do you think?

Just on a side note, we three girls (myself, my daughter and my granddaughter) had a fabulous day out in Melbourne yesterday. Mama Mia was as good this time as it was the last time I saw it, definitely stand in the aisles, dance and sing stuff. There were three little girls (five/six ish) next to us with their mums and they sang along to every song, knew every word and movement! Goodness only knows how many times they had seen the movie?? Plenty of Abba played in this household today, when I got up this morning I had 'gimme, gimme, gimme a man after midnight' running through my head!! Enough of that nonsense.............. ;o)

Have a great last day of summer.......................

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Lizzie, I'm the same way -- hate spelling and grammar mistakes! lol! I drive my son crazy correcting his grammar all the time. :D I didn't notice the spelling mistake on your quilt either! These things do happen. I think your solution should work just fine. Good luck! Glad you enjoyed Mama Mia!

Christine said...

I don't worry about it much as a lot of people don't just speak the one language ( for me english as my second language). No big deal.
Have a great day.

cheers
Christine

Julie said...

Thats so funny. Sorry for sniggering. I think you are right, the only solution is to sew the black thread on the sign first then hand stitch it back on to the quilt. We would never have been any the wiser if you didn't tell us. :0)

Deb said...

Bummer - I'm a bit of a spelling policeman too. If you don't fix it you'll never stop looking. Can you applique a new label over the top? Glad you're haivng lost of grate gurly fun (he he).

maggieblueyes said...

Lizzie, we all make slips from time to time. It would be fun to just cross out the "quite" with embroidery thread and insert "quiet". Maggie

Francien said...

Oh i hope you don't mind my English grammar then Lizzie , i must have made some terrible mistakes in previous post as i wrote in English "from the heart"as "they" say and posting without reading it back...But maybe i am aloud to do so because you could not write any word in Dutch witout looking it up wright?...lol....so foreigners are excluded from the "spellingpolice?!" i hope...
greetings ♥ Francien.

Bev C said...

Oh it will be quite alright in the end. I always tell my children if they can't spell something to look it up in the dictionary!!! Remember only Allah was perfect. Happy days.
Bev.

Teresa said...

Oh my...when I read the previous post and saw the quilt, my feeble brain read "quite" as "quiet" just as pretty as you please!!! I totally missed it! Thank goodness a couple of people are really sharp, or folks might have been whispering behind your back at your quilt event!! LOL

Teresa :o)

Janet said...

I know, I'm the same but now they teach phonetically so spelling is not so focused on and there's always spell check, lol. That spelling mistake is sure to keep you humble dear Lizzie,;)

AMIT said...

Oh its ok sometimes we dont know spelling.Its not compulsary to know everything.

free classified india

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin