Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Jinxed...........................

A couple of days ago, Julie wrote a post about a snake sitting near her steps, she was saying that she threw things at it to get it to move, you can read her post here.
I left a comment about the fact that we usually have copperheads but we hadn't seen one around this season. I also said that I was whispering as I didn't want to jinx myself........................

........................jinxed, well and truly!

This is the path between the house and the shed, gate and everywhere else we need to go! Pretty much the same situation as Julie really, until it goes - we don't.

It's disappeared now, somewhere into the nether regions of the garden, lots of places to hide unfortunately. All I can say is that it's a lucky, lucky little copperhead that it managed to get away. It's not John or I that I worry about, it's the dogs! Miss Martha would last about 10 minutes if she was really lucky and the old Cocker, well, suffice to say that we are 30 minutes away from the nearest vet! No chance!!

I don't actually have anything against snakes, our youngest son has a beautiful 8yr-old childrens python called Ned (as in Kelly), I just don't like them in my garden around my dogs.

Oh yes, just in case you think I'm totally mad, the photo was taken with a 70-300mm Nikkor lens on my Nikon, no way was I getting too close to that little baby...........

I'll be back tomorrow to show you my latest BoM from Sue Spargo, it arrived today!!

20 comments:

Miriam said...

OOhhh No!! I have the shivers looking at those photos!!

I really hope that snake is a looooong way from your house right now!!!!

Julie said...

Oh NO!!!! I don't believe it. Teach us to talk about them.

Rebecca said...

ewwwww I hate then, I came close to being bitten when I was little by a tiger snake but my dad saved me and got a twisted ankle in the process. I wouldn't leave the house until winter when they go to sleep lol to be on the safe side.
Hugs Bec

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Oh! Don't think I'd last long in Australia with the snakes and spiders you have. Can't help it, they give me the creeps! I hope it leaves you and the dogs alone now.

Fiona said...

I am no fan of snakes - Especially around pets. They give me the creeps.

Kerri said...

Step lightly and please dont send it this way. Not a fan of them especially around the house. Take care

Margaret said...

Oh dear! So now what? Are you going to avoid that area for you and the dogs till it surfaces again? Ugh! Snakes give me the creeps! Especially the poisonous ones! Good luck with the visitor! Can't wait to see your new Sue Spargo block. I love her stuff!

Seams Sew Together said...

Scary!!! I would not go out into the garden for a week. Lets hope you dont' see it again.

Micki said...

I myself hate snakes, and I would have hated to see that outside our home.
Micki

Sue-Anne said...

He looks like a big one! I hate them. I saw a big fat black one before Christmas where I go walking and wont go near that spot again until it gets really cold. They are a real worry with pets and I hope he leaves your yard so your dogs will be safe.

Janet said...

There are no snakes in NZ but when I moved to Aussie, I sat in on an eductional talk on them so I can cope, sort of now. I've only seen three in ten years but all poisonous.

BeautifulDees said...

Oh I hate snakes, I really have tried not to, but they make my skin crawl. Oh I hope your dogs stay away from the snake or visa versa.
I do like your blog and will follow, I just hate snakes OOOOOh.
Love, Debbie

Sue said...

Oh Lizzie! Now I feel all spooked!
We usually have little baby gwardas (brown snakes) brought in by the cat but the big ones scare me. The babies kill too. We used to have 2 cats. Step carefully.

judy said...

Hi Lizzie just a tip for you about your horrible snake. we had a brown snake in our shed so I put down some of the white netting that you buy to put over your fruit trees to stop the birds. i spread it over the floor and it traps the snake they get pretty angry but much easier to get rid of. I guess Im not meant to say to kill it lol! they definately get very stuck and trapped! cant have our dear pets getting bitten nor a child or adult!

soggybottomflats said...

Hi Lizzie
I am at my son's house and FINALLY settled with the PO about shipping! I told you I would help a bit with postage on your flat rate box. If you do to my etsy store you will find a custom order for you with your items. Go ahead and purchase this and it will take you to checkout and paypal. I know you're going to love this quilt kit, it is so nice in the canvas bag! Hugs, Elaine in Texas

Francien said...

We dont have snakes here Lizzie...thank goodness...i dont hate them..but its better that they stay in Australië and maybe it was just as scared as you were and happy to get away...and stay away i hope...
have a fine weekend!! greetings Francien.

taylorsoutback said...

Oh Lizzie - I get chills just thinking about what you saw...even little garden variety creepy crawleys (I can't even say the sss...word) scare me. I have a true phobia about them...
Be very careful please!
And thank you so much for dropping by and leaving birthday wishes!
Have a (safe) and lovely weekend.

Pokey said...

Yikes!

Kate said...

Oooohhhh Noooooo!!!! He looks big too. We've seen more copperheads this year than any other since we've been here. But out of all snakes I think they are the most timid and wont attack unless provoked. Well I'm sure that doesn't make you feel better but its worth knowing. I hope you've had a lovely weekend. XX

AMIT said...

This pictures are just wonderful.

free classified india

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin