Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Starts and Finishes...........

Last week I finished my 'Sample Squares' quilt. I bought the Fat Quarter Shop boxes of 2.5" sample squares last year and this is the first thing that I've completed with them............


I like the different designs and patterns in separate blocks..........


.....but, I have to say that this is my absolute favourite range..........


....Martinique by 3 Sisters for Moda. I love the colours, the paisley, the linen look and the softness of the greys, blues and reds in the range, and I love the big stitch quilting with #8 Perle cotton. It gives such a lovely definition, not to mention being quick to quilt, gotta love that!!


For the backing, I used some fabrics that I had had for a while and that I couldn't see as starring roles! But look how amazing the back looks, well I think it does anyway ;o)
I like the idea of using up left over fabric and blocks as well as different colours and designs. I like the interest that it gives, it's almost another quilt!!! Do you know what the best part of this quilt is??? It's for ME! Just for me, I'm excited about that.......


The March block of the Sue Spargo BoM arrived yesterday and I haven't finished Febs yet, very nearly though! I would have finished it last night except I was so tired I fell asleep in front of the telly at nine, took myself off to bed and didn't stir until six this morning......Yay!! It was wonderful having a full nights sleep.


I joined Chookyblue's 'Stitch Along' for 'A Gardeners Journal'. I know, I know, but I've had the book for ages and have been wanting to start it. So, I'm going to 'stitch along' with a lot of other lovely women. Thanks Chookyblue for organising the group and blog.

Anything else I need to tell you???

Oh, of course, most important...........I'm going to 'Sew it Together' in Melbourne...........WooHoo!!! I had my name on Sheridan's waiting list and last week someone (thanks whoever you are) pulled out and I was next on the list!!! I'm really looking forward to that. How hard is it going to be, spending the whole day with other bloggers, stitching, talking, eating, talking, stitching!!!!

I've been wanting to tell you all this news for the last few days but I was slightly busy being overwhelmed by your good wishes for my amazingly wonderful weekend! Once again thanks everyone, I'm going to leave you today with this gorgeous photo of some of my Japanese Windflowers against a magical blue autumn sky. I'll show you the rest of my flower shots later in the week.



ps. I finished three things this month, how cool is that??

17 comments:

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

How lovely! to finish 3 things this month, i am really happy for you. Your quilt looks really great, it is nice to make something just for yourself for a change isn't it? Lovely post!

Seams Sew Together said...

Lizzie, I love your quilt, I have the
Martinique in a layer cake but haven't quite figured out what I am going to do. Good choice of fabrics for the stitch along. I have also joined in, see you there.

Sue-Anne said...

your quilts looks fantastic. I really hope we get the range of Martinique up here.

That red velvet in your Sue Spargo kit is divine - I can just see those birds made out of it.

Your flowers are beautiful, you must have a very pretty garden.

Chookyblue...... said...

what a great use for the sampler box.......the quilt looks lovely.........can't wait to see everyones Gardener's journal quilts come together we have such a different lot of fabrics chosen between us all......

Julie said...

Everything looks lovely, Martinique is a favourite of mine too. Big woo hoo too, save the best news till last, I'm so pleased you had your name on the waiting list, great news, can't wait to meet. xx

Rafael's Mum said...

It looks great! Funnily enough I picked out the Martinique straight away.. I've loved that line since the FQshop sewalong was announced months and months ago... but I really mustn't get more fabric...sigh... You've just made that so much harder with that lovely photo!!

Teresa said...

Beautiful finish...I love the hand-quilting!! Well done on having 3 finishes...I know that feels great!
Your photos of your flowers are so beautiful...my daffodils are starting to push through the mulch, so I hope I have a blossom or two in a couple of weeks!

Margaret said...

OMG!!! That is the most wonderful quilt! You are so creative and talented! And don't tell me you hand quilted the whole thing? Whoa! I love it, I love the back. You're my idol. Can't wait to see more Sue Spargo too! And yay for you getting to go to Sew it Together! Have fun!

Meredith said...

You got a lot done. I like the hand quilting. The design in the solid white blocks is very pretty. Nice idea for using up scraps especially the back. Good luck on your two new adventures.

Francien said...

Oh i do have those precuts from Moda...did not know what to make untill now...you have inspired me with your lovely quilt here...you have done a awesome job with the quilting...it looks so great..very beautiful quilt!! And congratulations with your win..could not make a comment befor because everything was blanc here in blogland for two days...just crosses everywere and many bloggers reached out for help with blogger so i know i sure was,nt the only one...so i did leave my settings alone and this aftenoon everything was allright again...you have mad some beautiful pictures of the flowers and the quilts..thanks for sharing!!
greetings ♥ Francien.

Janet said...

What a great use of the squares, even though the ranges are different, the quilt really works. Love the big stitching! You have a lot of wonderful things planned.

Lynne said...

That quilt of samples is lovely and the big stitching really got my attention (with our first quilt top nearly finished my thoughts keep turning to the inevitable!!)

Thanks again for the great photography. Our windflowers are white and mostly still in bud.

Grethe said...

Gosh,this is interresting. Love your blog. I am not so patient with handquilting,usually use my Pfaff.
Very refreshing colours you have chosen for a Garden`s Journal, looking forward to seeing. I am hopless in choosing fabric, but hopefully will stick to my new ones for this project.
Happy Quilting.

Karen said...

Great quilt Lizzie and I love the big stitch quilting. Have fun making the Gardener's Journal.

Sew Useful Designs said...

Oh Lizzie... your flower photo is simply AMAZING! I love it so much!

And your quilt is divine... so glad you have kept your favourite -fabric-range-quilt especially for you!

Now then, I've missed some posts... what you up to this weekend eh sweetie? I'm off to find out!!! Have a lovely one!

Vikki xoxo

Kim said...

You have been very busy while I was outdoors doing my spring cleanup! Absolutely adore the 3-Sisters quilt! And yes I know how it is to finally have a sweet quilt to call your very own. Wonderful that you are able to head off to the day of quilting with bloggers! Fabulous! Gorgeous flowers, too. Did my heart good to stop by here for a visit. Thanks, Lizzie!

Julia said...

it's lovely Lizzie..mine too will be for me!
Julia ♥

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin