Monday, 8 March 2010

Storms and the Autumn garden.......

He Who Works got caught up in the storms in Melbourne on Saturday, luckily he was about five minutes behind the hail as he was driving in to work so no car damage. He did have to drive through water up to the bottom of the doors but the drivers (as in train drivers) car park at North Melbourne was thankfully water free!
He always has a camera in his bag and although he's not a good photographer usually, I thought I would share these with youThe stabling yards at North Melbourne.................
Can you see the blue sign just behind the tree? Aquarium?
Just what you want your car to look like when you get back to it....................




The rest of these are in our garden at home, these thunder clouds rolling in yesterday were quite spectacular. Can you see the rail fence half way down in this photo, that's the bottom of our garden, the house is about an acre behind me, the hill is called Black Hill. This is the way we watch all the weather fronts come across, I usually have about 3/4mins when the rain hits the hill to get things off the clothes line!! Ahead and to the left of the picture is Mt Bunninyong (for those of you familiar with the Ballarat area) and ahead and to the right is Ballarat, about 30kms away.
It's a great view and I love the way it changes with the seasons, this is what we see from our dining room in the winter when the trees are bare.....

The Bishop of Llandorf dalia, isn't it a gorgeous colour?

This is the ornamental grape vine with all it's tiny, tiny ornamental grapes.....

Inside the grape vine the leaves are turning ready for autumn...............

This is also inside the grape vine, little finches used it last year. I wonder who will take up residence next spring.....?


Gorgeous Hydrangea

Miss Martha, not happy that I was outside and she was in.....................



...............and when the storm hit they had to take refuge in my sewing room with me, Gus did have a try at getting on my knee as well but consoled himself with sitting on my feet, they just can't figure out where all that horrible noise comes from!
Hmmm, good view of my 'new' storage area hey..............?
I'll be back later in the week to show you my revamped sewing room!! He Who Works did some work in there for me on his days off last week. It's taken me up to yesterday to get it back to working status but I have more room and lots of new shelving. I'm hoping to have my circus quilt finished in the next day or so too.
I'm off to light the kitchen stove, the humidity has gone and the air is quite cool now and I have some baking to do for dad's birthday tomorrow. Happy 83rd Dad!! Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting (he tells me he's no longer watching his waistline?) and a cottage pie for their tea tomorrow I think? Sounds good, we might have the same tonight............

11 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow, those pics are scary! Glad your DH made it through ok! I bet the pups hate the storms, poor things. That's so great that you have more room in your sewing room now. I'd be happy with just a sewing room. lol! Happy birthday to your dad!

Bobbie Ashley said...

Lizzie,

I just adore a good thunderstorm. I love the way it cleanses the earth and the smells after a great storm are to die for. So happy that DH made it home safely. Hugs to you and yours.

Bobbie

soggybottomflats said...

Wow Lizzie, love those pics. It's hard to imagine such devestation can occur in mere minutes! I caught a quick pic of major flooding in Australia a few days ago and thought of you, hope you are keeping warm, dry and safe. Many thoughts headed your way, Elaine
Oh, did I tell you my adult son assisted me in sitting on your box to seal it for mailing?

Sue-Anne said...

We were lucky up here in Wodonga, most of it went around us but we had storm and flood warnings for our region on the tv last night. My girlfriend lives in Rowville and they had 3 cars damaged from the hail, one of them was dinted in every single panel and the back window smashed and water all through the car. They also had 3 of their loungeroom windows shattered. Cant believe how deep the water got in the middle of Melbourne!

Love your photos! Your little Miss Martha would make a great little playmate for my Buddy.

Posie Patchwork said...

Wow, that looks so dangerous!! So many blog posts on the rain, crazy!! We went to fly a kite, love Posie

Janet said...

We've had our share of rain but nothing like that and the hail scares me a bit when I think about how big it can get. You have some great photos there.

Margaret said...

Spectacular photos of the shredded leaves on the cars, I was at Flemington and everywhere it was either white with hail or green with shredded leaves the green carpets over the cars and roads were unreal, I have never seen anything like this before , especially over a large area.

AMIT said...

Just awesome pictures posted.

free classified india

Vivian said...

Oh Lizzie, that flower looks like the one I made for you! Oh my gosh! It's me, it's me!

BTW I love your home. We live on 4 1/2 acres in the mountains of northern Canada and we couldn't have two places that look so far apart. I want your trees, and your grass...actual grass!!! Sigh...we have a very shallow layer of gravel/dirt that grows scrub trees/shallow rooted pines and fireweed. You have grass!!!

Sue said...

Great photos Lizzie. I'd love just a little of that downpour. It's so dry here the leaves are crispy on the shrubs.

dragonfly gypsy said...

Hi Lizzie, The hail is very scary. We were in the Eastern Suburbs one a few years ago and I went outside and said to hubby what is that it sounds like a train or plane coming to us. The noise was unbelievable. Our little dog went berserk and they were coming at her like boulders. Great post. Cheers Sharron

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin