Monday, 5 April 2010

Baby Photo's..........

...........not quite your average baby pics, but oh so cute!!!



This little lady was our first priority yesterday when Bec, Tony, the terrible two (Ryan & Caitlin) & I went to Melbourne Zoo......





We queued for about 45 minutes, not as bad as it sounds because we were walking along the Elephant Trail to get to the Barn Paddock, which is where Mali, her mum Dokkoon and the other pregnant female are at the moment.



Along the Elephant trail are the other elephants, the Tiger enclosure, and the Butterfly house..........





....she's teething and apparently doing what all teething babies do, puts everything she can in her mouth!! The keepers tell us she has 4 teeth (that's all an adult elephant has too) but they will replace themselves four times (I think that's what they said? I was busy oohing and aahhing)...




..........and she's just discovered the joys of having a trunk!!




Move over mum.................



I'm coming through...........!!!

I could show you the other 80 something photo's I took of Mali in the 5 minutes we got to watch her, but I want to show you the other elephants too!!



This is Bong Su, the father of Mali and the new male Elephant calf born at Sydney's Taronga Zoo a few weeks ago..........



He is an awesome elephant, so majestic. It was hard to move away from him and on to the other younger females further down.....



One of the younger females coming out for her exercise session with her keeper....




Having some fun with water.......



...isn't she beautiful, you can tell she's only young as she hasn't yet got her stubby little tusks.....



Elephant aerobics!! All the elephants do exercises and aerobics everyday and this was how the keepers helped Dokkoon (and the female who will give birth in August this year) get through her 22 month pregnancy and stay fit and healthy, ready for a long labour..........



I know that I've given you a mega dose of elephants in this post, but it was such a wonderful experience. I hadn't been to the Melbourne Zoo for many years and certainly way before all the refurbishment of the elephants living and playing quarters. The Malaysian Elephant Trail is really well done, fabulous atmosphere and a baby at the end!! What else could you ask for. I'll have to show you the rest of the animals over the next couple of posts. I think I've overloaded your computers quite enough for one day..........

20 comments:

paddysdaughter said...

Gorgeous photos Lizzie, and what a cutie! looks like you had a great day out - must go and have a look myself before she gets too much bigger! All the best, Sue

el costurero de elsicat said...

Hello Lizzie!! Is very sweet and interesting!!!
Thanks!!

I live in Argentina and speak english
wrongly.Sorry!!

Cariños

Lurline said...

Oh, Lizzie - how fortunate are you! I have a love of elephants, no fear, though I believe I shouldn't have as much trust as I do - these pics are just fabulous - please tell me about your camera when you have time!
Hugs - Lurline♥

beck said...

Thanks for all the elephant photo's! I loved them. I keep meaning to get to the zoo and haven't yet so now I feel like I have caught up with Mali & co. You took some great photo's, they really show how adorable these creatures are. Looks like a lovely day xo

Fiona said...

She is adorable Lizzie - I love her little hairy chin - So special - Thanks for sharing. Hugs - Fee

Lynne said...

We have a baby elephant at Sydney's Taronga Zoo too. He was thought to be dead in the womb but has surprised everybody. I haven't been to the zoo in about fifteen years - maybe it's time to go again!!

Thanks for all the photos - I look forward to some more in the future.

Margaret said...

Having just finished two books about Elephants this year , makes your photos even more lively, thanks for sharing

Rafael's Mum said...

What wonderful photos Lizzie! Thanks for going to the trouble of putting them all up! Love the little one and how wonderful you captured the one with the water coming out of the trunk! It sounds as if it was a great day!

Sue-Anne said...

Fantastic photos! I must go and see her when I am in Melbourne next. Can't wait to see the rest of your photos, I don't care if it clogs up the computer, its' worth it.

Julie said...

oh Lizzie, they are the best photos of the new baby I've seen. I can't wait to show the kids when they wake up in the morning. What a great day, I can't wait to go too.

Michele said...

Dear Lizzie, I bet you could have stayed and watched that adorable baby all day! How precious she is. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I've been worrying about Saigon.....after we were told we had saved her, they were going to make her continue working anyway. Have you heard any more about that? Michele

Cathy said...

I love the photo's Lizzie, these elephants are so gorgeous, I'm going to have to go and see them for myself. Mali is sooo cute, looks like you had a wonderful day xo

Margaret said...

Aw, what a cute baby elephant! I miss going to the zoo. We used to go to the Bronx Zoo a lot when the kids were young. Glad you had a good time

Jody said...

the baby elephant - the baby! I just want to weep, I love it so. Thank you for sharing these photos. One day, when I retire, I hope to join a rescue organization for baby elephants. Go big, or go home!
Thnaks again.

Tara said...

I loved this! how old is the baby? So sweet!

Francien said...

Oh is'n`t that a adorable "little"one Lizzie, must be awesome to see her play..i love elephants...there is something about them...so calm and they have beautiful eyes with those long lashes..there is always something mystic about them i think...
seems you hat a very fun day!!
greetings Francien.

Janet said...

Fabulous photos. I loved them all.

Sweet P said...

Thanks for the great photos. I've never seen a baby elephant.

Terry said...

That baby elephant is the cutest thing ever! Loved all your photos! :0)

Maty said...

J'adore tes prises de vue.Elles sont très originales.
Mon préféré: le bébé éléphant(elephant baby).Il est "craquant"!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin