Wednesday, 26 May 2010

Finally, some sewing and decisions.....

I've had this on my wall for weeks,I think I've spent too much time lately playing with photographs and blogs......!!




...so I thought that I had better get it together as it's for my SILs wedding in September. I think I'm going to put a border around now of the green in the blocks..



..then another white with some small squares of the rest of the jelly roll - maybe ;o)

It's a Moda pattern from the Moda Bake Shop and I used a jelly roll of Gypsy Rose by Fig Tree Quilts plus a jelly roll of Moda Basics in White, hardly any cutting at all in this one so far.



I just did a post on the CWBQ blog, I think it's the first post I've done on there for months and it's been a long time since I did anything with my Civil War Bride Quilt, it's been residing in this box on a shelf in my sewing room..



and hasn't been touched since before Christmas. It was really hard to get back to it, I've taken the box off the shelf several times, opened it and looked at the finished blocks. Then they would just get put away again!! All my inspiration to finish had vanished.... I realised the other day that it's nearly a year since I bought the pattern and starter kit from Corliss at the Craft & Quilt Fair and I also remembered that I really didn't want this to become another UFO, that's the whole reason that I started the blog! I felt I needed the inspiration of others to keep me going, how true was that??

I've used countless keystrokes advising others that this is 'your' quilt and yes it's OK to change it, make it your own, as long as the basic pattern is Corliss' pattern then it's ok to join the group. So I've decided to take my own advice and change the way I make this quilt!

I have made a decision and if you're a purist for following the pattern, then close the page now, you don't need to read anymore, you'll only be disappointed with me ;o)
I really wanted to drastically alter the whole composition of the quilt, what I really, really wanted to do was start the whole thing again - in wool and include some pieced blocks too!! I'm not going to do that though as I've invested too much into the blocks that I've finished, I am however not making anymore centre blocks!!
I have nine blocks that I've finished and I'm leaving it at those nine. So today, I took them out of their box and joined them together!!



This is how the centre of the quilt will be, I've also stitched on the borders, not as per the pattern, these are five and a half inch borders and I'm going to stitch a vine all the way around and then randomly sew on leaves and flowers. I'd like to say that I will fill it with all the different flowers that are in the original quilt, but I don't know how much I'll do on there until I do it..!





Honestly, I don't know whether this is going to spur me on to finish soon or not and I don't know whether I'll change my mind again? Who knows the way my mind works, certainly not me lately!!
Sorry about the photo quality, it's been dull and foggy here for the last couple of days, too wet to go outside but very hard to get true colours inside...sigh!

16 comments:

Julie said...

I like the nine blocks, much better to put it together as a smaller version than have the whole lots sit on the shelf.

Rafael's Mum said...

Uh Oh... photographs and blogs... I think I am to blame here! But it was time so well spent... I am very grateful!!

Glad you got back onto the sewing and they both look great! I have never seen the original to the second one but it looks amazing to me! Even if it is not the original, you indeed are making it your own, which is always good! yes ?

Go for it.. looking forward to the vines!

Margaret said...

I think it makes perfect sense to make the CWBQ your own. It looks great as it is, and however you do the border or borders, it'll be wonderful! To me, 9 blocks is a real accomplishment, especially since I'm still sitting here not having even started it! lol! Maybe I'll take your idea and make the piece out of wool....... Sure would make it easier! At this point in my life, I just can't face all the prep work that goes into needleturn applique. Especially with all those leaves! lol! Love your other piece too, btw!

Francien said...

Oh Lizzie i love your first quilt...different...because i am more into darker countrycolors....but this quilt looks awesome...fresh...and your second one..it looks great..you have done a very good job there... could not do that..al that needleturn applique...but like Margaret suggested with wool would it be simpler?!, but would not have the same affect maybe...oh well.....you have done great work on both of them!!...
greetings Francien.

Joanna said...

Well I think it looks fantastic, and having it done 'your' way is infinitely better than having it undone and sitting in a box for years. I think the vine around the borders will look great!

Anonymous said...

It's good to be back in the sewing mode again, isn't it? Makes the fingers itch to be back at it. I like the dresden plate quilt hanging on the wall.!

Sue-Anne said...

The wedding quilt looks great and you have to love those Jelly Roll patterns, they save so much time.

I think your CWBQ will look wonderful with an applique border, and at least it will be finished and not another UFO.

Lynne said...

Your quilt on the design wall is looking good.

DD and I spent a cold, rainy day in the warmth of the dining room piecing our first 'real' quilt top. We're nearly halfway! She's feeding GS#1 right now, then it's back to work; oops, I mean "play"!!

Chookyblue...... said...

looks like you have been busy stitching.....keep up the good work......

Cathy said...

Margs blog is looking fabulous, you were the right person to help!! I must say I have not touched my cwbq since last year either (what, we are nearly halfway through another year?!!!), I love that you could decide not to do the whole thing and sew together what you have done (which is a lot more than me, and looking fabulous I might say!). time is a problem isn't it, sometimes I wish I could just quilt all day, but I guess I would get sick of that too eventually (might take a while!) xo

Maree: said...

Love the Wedding Quilt..the White really shows up the blocks...Great that you got your CWBQ blocks together at least it will be a finish...
cheers

Micki said...

Everything you are doing is looking great! I love the two quilts and they are looking so good.
Micki

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

I don't know what the "original" CWBQ looks like, but your 9 squares are wonderful and your plan to border them with vines and flowers sounds charming. Beautiful, beautiful applique.
kim

soggybottomflats said...

What a wonderful wedding quilt, I love it alot. Then I read about your CWBQ and identified with it. I guess I always felt you HAVE to "color inside the lines" and finish like it was written..duh! I am so proud of you for doing your own thing! Maybe the reason it wasn't getting finished is because you didn't like the way it was going.

I invite you to see what I did with my dilemna. http://soggybottomflats.blogspot.com/2010/02/what-i-take-with-me.html

Thank you for sharing, love your blog, Elaine in Texas

bluebird-lyn said...

Hello Lizzie, I feel the same way with my Dear Jane...glad I am not the only one..you start with good intentions...however I have pulled the box out of the cupboard and made a start again...lovely nine patch quilt you are making..Warm Regards, Lyn

Annie said...

Love your organised boxes and your design wall - i'm thinking of making one myself. And i LOVE your autumn garden shots. Just beautiful.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin