Friday, 7 May 2010

Got some sewing done this week..............

That time of the month again, when my Sue Spargo block arrives. This is April's block, being 'overseas' it's always the following month when my block arrives....



...doesn't mean that I've caught up though............



...this is February's block! I still have to embellish the flowers. On her's and in the instructions, Sue has put tiny little dots of wool surrounded by bullion knots. I've decided that I want to put beads instead so I'll wait to put those on I think!!



I also finished my Stitch Along block that I'm doing with Chookyblues blog, I actually finished about 12 hours in front of the deadline for the April block, so I was pretty pleased with myself I have to say.

I've been making a couple of things this week for Mum for Mothers Day....



I made this raggy lap quilt from the charm squares that I won the other week, she fell in love with the fabric when she first saw them, so I added some other from the shelf to make it big enough. It's only big enough to cover her knees when she's sat in her chair at home, she's feeling the cold more and more which is somewhat strange for mum!



I made this heat pack for her too, it looks small but it's actually rolled up and tied. It's about 46cm x 25cm I think, I filled it with Flax seed so that Dad didn't have to worry about getting it wet too much. You can put the flax seed packs in the 'fridge or freezer to use as an ice pack and not worry about it swelling. Mum's been having some trouble with her tummy lately and she finds that a heat pack helps.

I got an early Mother's Day gift from my man yesterday, he's been away for a few days this week. He took the little red flash (Mazda MX5) up the Hume Highway to Bright where he met up with his sister and her partner. They were down from The Hunter Valley in NSW with some friends who have a timeshare place in Bright, it was lovely that they could get together for a couple of days. They don't get to see one another very often now. Anyway he came home with this.......



..meet Red the Rooster!!



Apparently, he was made in Vietnam from old oil cans. John said that there was a 'Bill the Bull' too that he really, really liked but alas, he wasn't prepared to travel 400kms with the top down on the car and an oil can Bull poking his head over the windscreen, which he said, was the only way he could have got it into the car!! Fair enough too I guess, it was raining after all....hehe!!

Red's quite big, if you look at the soup tureen next to him you can see how tall he is. I'm still rolling all the bubble wrap that he came in, he told the guy in the shop that the only way he was taking him was if he was really well wrapped 'cos he would have to sit on the passenger seat - he wouldn't fit in the boot!! Guess he really wanted the sale? I do love him and he's now resides on a sofa table in front of the window in the dining room.


I'm off to the Stitches & Craft show tomorrow at Caulfield, I'm meeting up with another blogger who is over here from another state. I'll tell you all about who it is and about the show over the weekend.

15 comments:

Sue-Anne said...

Great post! I love your Sue Spargo blocks, they are wonderful! Your rag quilt for your mum is gorgeous too as well as the heat pack. Your hubby was up in my neck of the woods. Bright is a beautiful little town and he picked the right time to visit with the Autumn Festival. I love that chook - he is a treasure and so is hubby for picking such a wonderful gift for you. Have fun at Stitches.

Copper Patch said...

Very cool roster! Your rag quilt is lovely and I'm sure your mum will enjoy it. Happy stitching.

PatchworkRose said...

That April Sue Spargo block looks divine. Love the colours of the heat pack too. Have a great day at Caulfield tomorrow and a lovely Mothers Day
Cheers
Lynne

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

The rag quilt is very pretty. I really like the rooster your husband got for you!

beck said...

Hey Liz, love that rooster! How fantastic, your hubby is so sweet to bring you back a pressie like that. I'm sure your mum is going to love her presents too, what loving gifts they are. Hope you have a happy weekend xo ps keep warm!

Margaret said...

Ok, I think your husband is one cool dude! He got that great rooster for you? No hints from you? I love it!!!! He's a real keeper! And hey, your latest Sue Spargo block is so pretty! I'm loving seeing this piece! So I assume the wool pieces are just raw edges and you use buttonhole or other stitches to sew the edges down? I'm so tempted to try wool applique! Love the gifts for your mother too -- hope they keep her warm and cozy! Have a great Mother's Day!

Karen said...

I love the chicken! I used to collect chicken items but have cut back because of space restrictions.
Sue Spargo designs are always a bit different and very interesting, though I have not ever made one up.

Micki said...

I love Sue's patterns, and your block came out so nice! I love the rooster that you got...how fun!
Micki

Deb said...

I love those Sue Spago blocks quite a bit and I just love your raggety quilt. I've made a couple of those before and think that they're so much fun. All your others things you made are lovely too. And I love, love that Rooster.

Lynne said...

I love your rooster - I want to drive from Sydney to Bright to see the bull!

Hope you enjoy the craft show.

Julia said...

Very cool rooster! Sue Spargo block is so pretty.. I have never done any of her work, but very tempted!
Julia ♥

Francien said...

Love your sewing and that Flaxcushion and the lapquilt for your Mum Lizzie...what a beautiful fabric both are made of..she will love them!!..
And that rooster...what can i write...its absolutly awesome!! love the colors..would make a great mosaic ( i did a funny rooster a while ago) or it could be a lovely stuffed animal those colors are magic...so you see...even your DH inspiers us...or maybe just me i dont know...but the rooster is looking great to me..
have a nice weekend...greetings ♥ Francien.

Maree: said...

oohh I Love Sue Spargo's work..your Blocks look Great...you have been busy with your Mother's Day sewing I'm sure they will be well recieved..they look so Cosy..well as for Red he is Just Gorgeous...what a Good DH you have to bring him home.lol
cheers

Deb said...

Love all your projects here - and the rooster as well - how gorgeous. The Sue Spargo is looking great. And I'm sure your mum will be thrilled with your gifts. I'm off to Caulfield with Nellie today. Louis is working so the girls get to spend some time together - what a treat!

Karen said...

You picked the perfect fabric Lizzie to go with your Gardener's Journal blocks!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin