Sunday, 2 May 2010

Quilts, New Friends and a tiny bit of shopping......

Yesterday I went into Melbourne to the Australasian Quilt Convention at the Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens.

I had arranged to meet these gorgeous ladies from the Civil War Bride Quilt blog, from left to right....
me, Deb, Natima, Ronnie (no blog) and Kali
Later in the day I met up with Esther but I didn't get a photo, we were too busy talking!!



We had a great time catching up, chatting about our progress (or lack of it for some like me) and encouraging one another to keep going!!

The quilts on show were very inspiring although I do have to say that I thought there would have been more, here are a few that I can name the makers...........



this was made by Ronnie (photo above)


Dancing Dollies by Irene Carrig, a reproduction of the original Dancing Dollies




two photo's above, details of Dancing Dollies


from the Quilts by Kim McLean Collection
apologies for the quality of the lighting, there was a huge amount of natural light flooding into the area that the quilts were displayed in, unfortunately for photography, the sun was very low and very bright!! There was just no way to avoid the sun flare on some of the photographs..


another from Kim McLean


and another Kim McLean



This was my favourite quilt I think..........
Happy Magic by Naomi Miyake

....I loved the colour and vibrancy...

....the hand quilting..

....and the fabrics used, including the off white wool used in the sashing. Gorgeous!!
There were so many traders selling some fabulous things. Kits, packs, fat quarters, books, lace, ribbons, scissors... of course the list goes on. So much gorgeous 'stuff' that I could have brought home with me....
What's that? What did I buy?? I was really good, well for me anyway!!


I bought this beautiful wool and soft dyed canvas from the lovely girls at The Quilted Crow, plus a little something that was sold out so they're posting it when they get back to 'Tassie. Yes, yes, I'll show you when it arrives!!!
I bought some new applique needles, they're just needles, you don't want to see them.. Oh yes, I bought a Matilda's Own rotary cutting mat too, I've been wanting one for ages and there was a special on. Wasn't easy lugging it back to Ballan on the train though!!

Stitches and Craft Show next weekend then it's Sew it Together, WooHoo!!

14 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Looks like a great day...would love to get down there sometime!!! So glad you met up with my friend Natima...I knew her back in Bathurst...Dzintra♥x

Notjustnat said...

Hi Lizzie, it was lovely meeting you at the show. Bron was very impressed with us. She said she's never met anyone more energetic than us!!! She was very inspired by what we are doing. Thanks again for organising to meet. Love what you bought! - Hugs Nat

susi said...

dear lizzie,thanks for the pictures to you ,too,i would have loved to meet you and the other ladies,cute stuff you bought,have a nice sunday,susi

Francien said...

Ohhooo...Lizzie what a treat are this pictures on a grey Sundaymorning...rain...but sitting here in my comfie homedress..watching those gorgious...awesome quilts makes my day!!...what a wunderful craft patchworking and quilting is...and i feel lucky to be able to have that as a hobby too...i cant pick a favorite one...every quilt is a beauty of its own...thanks for sharing!!You must had a wunderful day and you bought some great goodies...
greetings ♥ Francien.

Posie Patchwork said...

Wow, look at the detail in those quilts, total skill!! Lovely to see you with your friends, how much fun were you having?? Love post, love Posie

Rafael's Mum said...

What a lovely show and beautiful quilts! Thanks for posting so many pictures, they are beautiful! Isn't it nice meeting bloggy friends for real? It's so great, I recently met up with some online friends too and it is great! Thanks for sharing.

PatchworkRose said...

Thanks for the wonderful photos. Sure wish I was there.
One Day
Cheers
Lynne

Margaret said...

how lovely to see your faces! And how lovely to see those quilts! Yummy! You really were restrained at the quilt show -- good for you! I've been avoiding our local quilt show, specifically because I know I would spend too much money! lol! Thanks for sharing your show experiences with us!

Chookyblue...... said...

thanks for sharing the photos from some quilts at the show.........
always nice to catch up with friends who share the same interests.....

Sue-Anne said...

Wish I was there on Saturday to meet you all. It was a great show and interesting you had trouble with the sunlight. When we were looking at the quilts on Friday, we were commenting that it was a bit dark!

Julia said...

Wish I could have been there...wow, what amazing quilts..
Thanks Lizzie..
Julia ♥

Lynne said...

My husband offered me the chance to go to AQC but my new-found-interest in quilts didn't justify the expense of flying (from Sydney) and hotel accommodation! I might take him up on the offer for the Textile Convention in Brisbane instead!

Maree: said...

TFS the Beautiful Quilts...I soo Love Kim McLean's work...Love all your Purchases..Gorgeous Wool pieces...hmmm wonder what you will do with those.?Lovely piccie too.
cheers

Janet said...

What a lovely group photo of you girls and thanks for the pics, even with the sun, I loved seeing them. The Dancing Dollies is smaller than I imagined, it's beautiful and so are Kims quilts.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin