Sunday, 6 June 2010

Moving right along.............

....with Cathy's wedding quilt.



I've finished the top, sorry about the colour of the photo, it was cold, cloudy and raining yesterday, so no hope of going outside for gorgeous blowing in the breeze photographs I'm afraid!!

This has taken two jelly rolls, one Jelly Roll Basics in white and a Gypsy Rose Jelly Roll and now measures 70"x90" (sorry, I just find feet and inches easier for quilts) so I'm quite happy with that. Quite economical really.
NEXT!

This gorgeous bundle of fabric is for my goddaughter Merryn, my best friend Jenny's daughter. Jen bought all the makings and I'll do the making...



..my gorgeous goddaughter works in a child care centre in Edithvale, the other side of Melbourne, so as you can imagine, she's totally worn out when she gets home from work. So she wants something snugly to wrap around herself while she relaxes so a raggy quilt is just the thing, so easy peasy....



..this is what I finished with last night. I want to get it done asap, a little cheering up is needed in the Balnaves household. Three weeks ago they had a new addition to their family, Lewis, a Border Collie pup, joined them. Sadly, Lewis died on Friday, he was only just over 8 weeks old! At this stage the pathologist thinks it was a strain of Enteritis, maybe from a cat! The only cat's around Jen's place are the strays that live next door! So, so sad for them.....

I don't think I showed you this did I?..........



We spotted these awesome retro drawers, fashioned after old filing cabinets, at a tiny little shop that has just opened in our village. So John (that darling man of mine who works) bought them for me. Sigh............that's why he works isn't it, to indulge me....?? ;o)
In the top drawer I have all my rotary cutters and scissors in the second drawer down, then in the rest so far all my different sewing cottons. One drawer for reels of applique threads, another for machine thread, another for quilting threads and still another for all the ones that don't fit any of the above classifications...hehe! I've still got a few empty so I'm endeavouring to acquire things to fill them!

23 comments:

Karen said...

Now that is an interesting cabinet. Very retro looking.
The quilt is very nice. Good use of color and 9 patch blocks.

Linda C said...

Pink and green, a perfect combination for a quilt to snuggle under.
Love the cabinet. Retro is so in. We just bought a toaster this morning with a definite retro feel. RED!!
The wedding quilt is looking great too. l am in the process of making one for my nephew who married in January.

Cathy said...

Beautiful post Lizzie, although very sad about your friends dog. Love the quilts and the filing cabinet retro drawer thingy is divine. Perhaps you will have to show us a photo of the inside of each drawer sometime!!! How fun. We had lots of rain and gloom here too yesterday, the garden was loving it, but hopeless for photo's! xo

Lurline said...

A gorgeous Post, Lizzie - yes, so sad about the puppy, I can't bear to think about it - other than that! - great quilt, fabrics and drawers, sound like life is fun for you!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Sue-Anne said...

I adore those little green drawers, what a wonderful husband you have! The wedding quilt is beautiful and am so sorry to hear about your friend's puppy, how awful for them.

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

The wedding quilt is lovely. I'd like a cabinet like that! So sorry about the pup - it's always hard losing a pet.

Rafael's Mum said...

How really sad for your friend losing her puppy so soon....mustn't think of it... dreadful!!

The quilt is coming on really well and I love the way the border frames the whole thing and pulls it together.

Adore the retro cabinet.. how do you fine such things?

And love the colour palette you have chosen for your friends quilt. Good luck getting it together quickly!

Jody said...

LOVE love love the tomato soup quilt - all of those oranges and tomato-y colors SING! My kind of work. May I have one, please?

Meredith said...

Great Post. Very sweet of you to make both of the quilts. Adding love changes the quilts.

Jodie said...

the drawers or the qulit...both are so good.
OK the quilt is spectacular but I also love the drawers .

Margaret said...

Oh sigh. So much eye candy! Gorgeous quilt, lovely fabrics, great project (so sad about the pup), and love those retro drawers!! I need more storage space myself. I love seeing what you're up to -- always!

Sweet P said...

Oooo . . . the quilt is gorgeous. The drawers are way cool. I love unique furniture pieces.

Deb said...

I love that cabinet - so wonderful for all the little sewing things! And I love your finished quilt too!

Red Haired Girl said...

I love how the wedding quilt has turned out, the borders look great! I'm working on a wedding dress quilt (fabric from my wedding dress as sashing) with liberty 9 patches, I must do a border like that! Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

Lynne said...

The fabric for your god-daughter's quilt looks Christmassy - perhaps it's the colours.

Those drawers are gorgeous!

Francien said...

Oh how sad Lizzie...and it hurts even more becuse its a little puppy...they are so innocent...
And you are so quick with sewing the blocks...it will be a lovely quilt as is Cathy`s quilt going to be too...the top looks gorgious...
so lots to do voor you the next weeks orso...
and dont you just love the drawers??!they are like little "treasure"boxes...enjoy!!
greetings Francien.

ecoMILF said...

Stunning! And i Wish I were Merryn with a fabric bundle like that! Lucky girl! xo m.

joanna said...

Love how your Gypsy Rose quilt is coming out & am ready to come to Australia just to get those retro cabinets you were filling! Oh my gosh, those are just perfect!

Thanks for sharing,

Joanna

Sonnja said...

The quilt is very nice and the fabric bundle also!
Kind regards,

Beertje Zonn & Sonnja

Frogdancer said...

I'm a bit late... too much report writing.

That quilt is fairly similar to one I've just been commissioned to make. I'm going to Sewjourn for the long weekend and that is what I'll be doing.

Nothing for me this time!

Micki said...

The quilt is just gorgeous! I love that cabinet...never saw one like that.
Micki

Annie said...

Those drawers are delicious!!! . . . and you are a wizz with those quilts Lizzy

Deb said...

Gorgeous drawers - you are such a great photographer.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin