Saturday, 31 July 2010

Ta Dah............

Don't you just love saying Ta Dah?? I do, it always means the end of something you've worked hard on and the beginning of something new, so.........ta dah..........!!





Cathy's wedding quilt which I've called 'Gypsies in the Square', because the fabric is Gypsy Rose by Figtree Quilts and the nine patch is framed in a square. Every time I think of the name of this fabric it reminds me of growing up in the UK and the Gypsies that used to come around selling clothes pegs and my Nana telling me not to talk to them (which I always ignored of course!), so the quilt sort of named itself..


I don't usually wash my quilts when they're finished and I wasn't going to wash this one, especially as the weather isn't very 'quilt washing' friendly at the moment! That was until I spotted the drops of blood that I'd missed when I stabbed my finger the other day!! Oh and yes, it is hanging sideways on the line, I couldn't hang it the right way as it would have dragged on the ground. I don't like using the dryer (far too expensive) unless I really have no choice, so as you can tell, the wind is really blowing today. Don't let those bits of blue sky up there fool you though! Can you see the clouds behind the top right of the quilt, that's our cold front heading in!! Forecast for tomorrow, snow down to 700mts (that's us) and a cold arctic blast for Victoria!!





So here it is hanging on my drying rack above the kitchen wood stove, looks nice there doesn't it? I might just have to leave it for a while..!!





Here's the label I made and can you see, proof of an early finish!! I made the label early on in the week and put the finish date as August as I really thought that it would be next week before I finished! Some good came out of the dreadful cold that I had at least....





I love this next shot, it reminds me of a stained glass window, deep rich saturated colours! It's nothing like those colours really is it??



So, that's it then!! Do you feel like that when you've finished something you've been working on for a while? Sort of empty? I've got other things I'm itching to do but I know I won't start today, I'll sort of mope around and keep admiring the quilt, a pat here, refold there. Move it around a bit, sit it on the coffee table then the chair, all the time thinking how much I love it. I didn't a week ago, I was totally over it, sore fingers, stiff wrists and then getting this cold! But as soon as I started stitching the binding on last night it was all 'Oh I love this quilt, I wish I was keeping it etc, etc...' Perverse woman that I am!!!! :o) 

I guess that spending all that time hand quilting makes me a little possessive, but I do love the look of hand quilting....!!!

Do you think I'll ever come to love machine quilting the same? 

Maybe it's time to start practising with my frame now.......???

32 comments:

paulette said...

Absolutely gorgeous...the bride and groom are going to be thrilled!!
Paulette

Marls said...

I love it and I have no doubt the bride and groom will as well. How wonderful to see all your hand quilting.
Time to play with the frame now!!

susi said...

dear lizzie,how lovely ,i love your quilting ,i never machine quilted a quilt,i have no machine to do this,so it will be interesting to look,how you will learn it,hugs,susi

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

The quilt is absolutely beautiful - a wonderful gift.

Cathy said...

A gorgeous quilt Lizzie, and I love the story behind it, especially about the gypsies. I hope you were able to get the blood out, we do put a lot of ourselves into our quilts don't we?!! I'm sure the newlyweds to be will love it xo

Chookyblue...... said...

the quilt is beautiful and well ahead of the deadline.......

Lurline said...

Tah, dah - just beautiful!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Lurline said...

PS - will I see you at Glorious Applique - which quilt?
Hugs - Lurline♥

Kathie said...

the quilt is beautiful and they will just love it.
oh hand quilting vs machine quilting.
there is a place for both of them
and time! I will hand quilt little ones and as many of the big ones as I can, the really special ones . I do have a lot of quilts machine quilted by people I trust and know they will make my quilt come to life.
Kathie who still loves the feel of a hand quilted quilt the best.

Seams Sew Together said...

Beautiful quilt Lizzie, you have done a sensational job, I wish I was getting it as a present.
Mandy

PatchworkRose said...

Just Love the quilting and all that gorgeous colour. Lucky People. Cheers
Lynne

Rumi said...

I love to say Tah Dah! too. Too funny!
Your quilt is gorgeous and the happy couple will be thrilled. I love, love, love the look of hand quilting but I don't, don't, don't do it! Hee hee. Too lazy and too inept.

Glad you are feeling better.

Tiffany said...

I prefer the hand quilting too. Just something so natural and earthy about it to me. But the time it takes.... Anyway, Well Done! it's beautiful!

Sue-Anne said...

It's beautiful Lizzie and all that work in handquilting it! I love your label too. The photo on your header is beautiful too, is that your property? Keep warm tomorrow, we are in for a cold day here too.

Margaret said...

Lizzie, it's just stunning! And yes, I definitely know that empty feeling, had it just recently and am still suffering the effects. I also love the look of hand quilting so much. and you say it goes faster with the perle cotton? what kind do you use? I'm definitely going to have to try it. Anyway, congrats on the finish!!!

Francien said...

Oh Lizzie...that is some quilt and what a wonderful pictures you have taken of it...the colors are so "fresh"and your handquilting is so lovely and beautiful done..i dont know the differenz because i always did/do it by hand..i could not part with it!!...but you have a little time with it...and when you have started something new...you are ready to give it away...Cathy will love it as much as you do...i am sure....greetings Francien.

Frances Leate said...

The quilt is absolutely gorgeous so well done! I absolutely love hand quilting but have a few problems with arthritis in my hands so usually have to resort to the machine. To amuse myself when machine quilting I listen to audio books from the library.

Tracey said...

This is a wonderful quilt,
Thankyou

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

The quilt is beautiful. I love the colors and especially the hand quilting. The bride and groom are receiving an heirloom. The label you made is absolutely wonderful and I am curious- how do you do that?
kim

Mersad said...

Looks really good. Congratulations on your achievement.

Maree: said...

Your Quilt is Beautiful Lizzie...Your Hand Quilting looks Fabulous...know what you mean about feeling Empty after a big Project...feeling like that way myself now I'm onto the Binding of a Wedding Quilt...hard to get motivated to what to do next..lol.
Enjoy your time out...
cheers

Bronwyn said...

Well Done Lizzie!! Love the 9-patches and the pieced borders - I would leave it hanging in your kitchen for quite a while!!

Julia said...

A gorgeous quilt Lizzie, and I love the story behind it, especially about the gypsies. Now that is a great Ta..Dah!
Julia ♥

Bobbie Ashley said...

Lizzie, what an absolutely beautiful present. I love the colors and yes! I totally understand about wanting to keep it. There is a part of you that is in it. Do you know what I mean? Love the pictures too, you sure do know how to make a girl drool.
On another note, I am so happy that you are feeling better.

Hugs to you,
Bobbie

taylorsoutback said...

And a well deserved "Tah Dah"! Your quilt just glows and will make a lovely wedding gift.

Love your label too!

SandyN said...

Wow - your quilt is so beautiful..

The Bride and Groom will just LOVE it...

Sandy N

ozjane said...

It is so lovely and congratulations on the label.that is usually the thing I forget.

Michelle said...

Sew Beautiful, you did a fantastic job of the label too! I can understand, I'd want to keep it for myself too!

Michele Hill said...

The wedding quilt is just beautiful and the hand quilting divine - well done on finishing ahead of time - must be a great feeling!
Michele ( also cold here - 11 degrees today!)

Kim said...

This quilt makes me smile. It's wonderful and so is the label attached to the back. :)

Sue said...

What a truly beautiful quilt Lizzie. I'm so impressed by your hand quilting.

--- Ruth --- RuRebo --- said...

Wonderful this lovely Wedding Quilt. I like it very much: the colors and the pattern and the quilting, everything is well done!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin