Thursday, 12 August 2010

Bee Quilt...

Last year I joined in an online quilting bee, The Bee Balm, this month is the last month. Sadly, four of the members dropped out! Well they didn't so much drop out, more dropped off!! Didn't bother returning fabric, didn't bother telling anyone, didn't bother at all really!!! So I only received seven blocks back. I asked all my fellow bees to make me a block that represented them in some way. I sent everyone the fabric that I wanted to use for the background and gave them all Carte Blanche for the rest....
This is the block I made to show everyone the colours and fabric I was using....





I used my brown and white background fabric and 'Frolic' by Sandy Gervais for Moda, this next photo is my block together with Tara's block..





sorry about the photo quality, the rain just hasn't stopped for two days!! Anyway, you can see that Tara used Frolic too. I've decided to use my block and Tara's block and make a different quilt, I have a fat quarter bundle of Frolic so I'll put these two blocks with that..


These are the other six blocks.........





The photo doesn't do any justice to the colours, it's just so dull today!! They're really bright blocks from all over the place, Texas, New York, Colorado, Indiana, Maryland and the Yukon in Canada....
There are so many different colours and textures in the blocks that I found I couldn't decide what to do with them. The original idea I had to put them together wouldn't work without having 12 blocks, I did think about making another four and the gorgeous Elaine from Texas offered to make a couple more for me :o) but I decided to sash each block with the background fabric and join them with the bright pink and black fabric in the corners. I needed something else to tie all of the colours together and I'm hoping this will do it.
It's really out of the box for me I know! Definitely pushing the boundaries as far as colour goes!! I'm not sure what to do now, it's sort of an odd shape don't you think? A bit too long for the width?? I was full of enthusiasm when I started putting this together this morning and now I'm stuck! I think I need to border it with something but I have no idea what??
Have to give it some thought, I'll look at it for a few days and see what happens....

I'm so over this weather, it's rained constantly for days now, it's cold, I don't think we've gone into two figures for well over a week and I just want the warm weather to get here! I'm going to Perth in two weeks so I'm hoping for some warmer weather while I'm there...........I need sunshine...............!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Janet said...

That's awesome, love your block! Too bad for the dropper outers though. Love the new header photo.

Margaret said...

Bummer about those people disappearing on everyone. Not good! So how big is that piece with the majority of the blocks in it? Could it just be a longish table runner of some kind? I like how you put the blocks together. I like the two blocks that aren't in the quilt as well. Good luck with it all!

Sue said...

So sorry those bees buzzed off. I have a biggish chunk of that background fabric and would love to make you a block or two. Just give me a preferred size and your SMA and they'll be on their way. I could probably fudge the other fabrics closely from my stash!

Micki said...

I love your blocks! What a neat quilt!
Micki

Ozjane said...

That is horrible when people drop out. I used to go in a lot of Scquilters, Southern Cross Quilters, block swaps and have two lovely ones to put together (from around 8 years ago I might add) where I supplied a fat 1/8th of the focus fabric and they did the rest. I must make them up as they were yummy.
I also have a couple of initial swap ones. G for Granny's fan and G for Goose were mine. That was back before I had fibromyalgia and the five years of chronic fatigue..now apart from the awful amount of fabric to use up, I could be tempted again.
Mind you ....you can still buy fabric when in chronic fatigue. Funny that!
Have fun making up your blocks.

Sue-Anne said...

I love your flower block Lizzie. What a shame some of the members didn't follow through with the challenge.

baukje said...

Love your block, not easy to put them together.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin