Wednesday, 15 September 2010

I need a favour................

 Edit: Thursday September 23rd.

If you've just arrived here by clicking on the 'Sue's Quilt' button, can I just say thank you. The response from around the world has been amazing and I've had over 160 people pledge blocks for Sue. I have more than enough blocks, fabric and chocolate :o) to make at least 2 quilts........

Thank you, thank you, thank you, I cannot express my gratitude enough, quilting women rock big time...!!!

If you have orphan blocks that you would like to donate to a fabulous cause, click over to Cat here. She's collecting to make quilts for kids made homeless and affected by the recent earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand. Even though, thankfully, there was no loss of life, thousands of people were affected in one way or another and it's still cold over there, like us here in Australia they are still only in spring. 
Tell Cat I sent you and thanks again..... 


 




A friend that I've known for more than 30 years is sick..!! Not just I'll be better next week or next month or even next year sick! She's helplessly and terminally sick..
My friend Sue is a quilter, a SCQuilter (Southern Cross Quilters for all you non-Aussies/N.Zealanders), a crafter, a wife and a mother as well as a friend.


I met Sue when I was pregnant with my youngest son, so going on 33 years now, she's his godmother too. We used to make softies for the local craft shop, big softies, lions and elephants, giraffes, cats and dogs. At one stage we couldn't keep up with the demand, I think Sarah still has a lion and a dog somewhere..?? Anyway, we had a ball, a couple of mums at home with young kids in a tiny Mallee town. 
We moved on, work called us back to the big smoke, Sue didn't, they stayed in the tiny Mallee town and live there still......but Sue now lives in the local nursing home..!! 

I don't know what the official name is for what she has, what I do know is that her brain stem is dying..! Simple, straight forward, no messing around just dying.. The last time I saw her she was shuffling around with the aid of a walker. She's my age! This amazing quilter can no longer dress herself! Her family had to make a heart breaking decision to hospitalise her.


Over the years Sue has made more quilts than I ever will I think, but I don't think anyone has ever made one for her. What I'm asking for are your orphan blocks, you know, those blocks that you make then decide you don't like the pattern/colour/size or whatever..! If you're like me they sit in a box or basket, in a drawer or on a shelf, you can't just throw them out but you know that you really will never do anything with them.


If I can gather at least one block from everyone that reads my blog, put them together and get it quilted, then I can give a sister quilter and friend a unique and heartfelt gift from quilters everywhere...

Is it too much to ask? I don't think so. Some of you, if you're scquilters will know her, most of you won't. I'm not a religious person but the saying 'There but for the grace of God .." is so true. In my last post I was wondering what genetics and hereditary held for me. At least I can still wonder, Sue knows what her future holds and it's not pleasant, realistically it's horrific...........


Can you help? I'd love to do this in the next month or two. Any colour, any size, any pattern, any amount. A quilt of orphans coming together to show how much we as women and quilters care for our sisters all around the world...


Just as an incentive (and I know you don't need one really) I'll put everyone that sends me a block or two into a draw for ......something?? Probably a jelly roll or something similar, I'll work it out I promise...


Email me at:    elizabethmcmahon1950@gmail.com  if you can help and I'll send you my postal address.


I'm going to say thanks now because I know how supportive and caring this community of ours is, so...

A HUGE THANK YOU.....

48 comments:

paddysdaughter said...

I know this lady, and will be happy to have rummage and see what I can find...

Christine said...

Send me your snail mail and I send you some, I always feel very sad when reading these stories, makes you take a different look at each day.

hugs
Christine

Francien said...

Ofcourse Lizzie...i am not the best patchwork and quiltmaker but thats is not what its all about now.. i will sent you one or two..maybe you can do something with it...its a terrible story...life is so precious..your previous post grabbed me too...anything with brains involved is very very scary!!..i had a stroke..recovered with minor damage but i am still wondering somethimes when the next is due.
Please sent me your adress again by email..just incase...
Greetings and i hope you have lots of succes collecting blocks from all over the world...Francien.

Rebecca said...

Count me in I have lots of blocks that I have made and then never used. What a lovely idea good on you for doing this.
Big Hugs Bec
PS if I can help with the quilting just let me know <3

Chookyblue...... said...

I have some nine patches that didn't suit another quilt.........but not enough to make something else so you can have those if you want............

Rafael's Mum said...

It goes without saying Lizzie... However, I am thinking about all those different blocks tying together.. What do you think about a particular block recurring throughout the quilt? Like an Ohio Star e.g. or a wonky star.. They could be in any colour but the shape would give some unity to the quilt. If you think it is a good idea I would be happy to make you several.

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

So sorry to hear about your friend.
I haven't got any blocks lying around, but I'll make a couple and send ...

Sue said...

Of course I'll help out a fellow Scquilter and you with your project Lizzie. It's a lovely idea, you are so thoughtful.

baukje said...

Great idea, I've sent you a PM;

Vicki ♥ said...

I am guessing it doesnt matter what size block you want? I have some here and if you can let me know where to send them to I will get them off to you. I feel soooo sad and upset for your friend ....she will be in my prayers too .....Hugs Vicki

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Lizzie- I don't quilt- just knitting for me. I'll say a prayer. If you think of anything I can do, just holler.
kim

Margaret said...

Oh gosh, I know I have something I can give. Problem is finding my blocks. Everything got packed away when I lost my quilt cupboard. :( I will think on where my blocks might be and see what I can do.

Nadine said...

OF COURSE ! With all my heart !
The slightest things we can do from our little corners are the least we can do for a quilting sister in need of comfort.
Emailing you right now... ;>)
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
NADINE

Maree: said...

So Sorry to hear of Sue's Illness...count me IN...

sewcolorful said...

Hi Lizzie. Count me in too. I emailed you as well.

What a lovely idea.

Jen

sewjournal.com said...

Have sent you an email. I think this a lovely idea.
Cheers
Munaiba

Bobbie Ashley said...

Lizzie, count me in too. I will email you for an addy. What a wonderful idea, I know that she will adore it!

Cheers,
Bobbie

soggybottomflats said...

Oh Lizzie, my heart is heavy and I am in tears after your post. I cannot fathom....you know I will get something off to you, since I have your sewing bee address, I won't need yours today. But, you have to promise to NOT mail me anything in return, ok? Big hugs to you and your friend, Elaine

Yvette said...

I have some applique blocks and embroidery blocks from quilts I started and never finished. Would those work?

Julia said...

So sorry to hear about your friend.
Count me in too Lizzie...
send me your snail mail addy..
Julia ♥

Sue said...

Of course I'll send blocks. I e-mailed for the address. I'm not religious either, but I suspect every culture and religion has a similar saying...and we should all stop and do what we can. Thanks for doing this. Sue http://suesjourneys.blogspot.com/

Sew Useful Designs said...

Darling Lizzie, of course it is not too much to ask. I'll design an stitch a block for you... when do you need it by sweetheart??
I'm so sorry to hear about your dear friend, and it's such a beautiful idea of yours - I'm sure it will warm Sue's heart, and that is the best gift you can give anyone. Lots of love to you darling!

Vikki xoxo

fay said...

I'm not a quilter Lizzie, but I send you my love and support.

susi said...

dear lizzie,please send me your snail mail,i have some nine patches i probably will never use,susi

Jan said...

Hi Lizzie: What a sad story. I'll be happy to make a block or two. Preferred size? Colour? Theme? or just anything goes? give yourself a big hug too.cheers, Jan

Maria said...

I am more than happy to make a block for a fellow quilter/scquilter.
Please send me your snail mail addy.

Esther said...

Dear Liz,

I visited Sue last year and I'm often thinking about how she is doing so I am so glad that you arranged this. I will gladly send in some blocks.

If you need any help putting it together or quilting it, please let me know. I would be honored to help out.

Margaret said...

Send me you address and I will send Money, to help with the quilt.

Rose said...

¡What a great idea! Pls send me your mail address and I'll send you some blocks from Spain.
Lots of strength for your friend!!!
Love, Rose

Wickedly Divine Creations said...

I just found your blog through another blogger.
happy to send some orphans along. Emailing now

Sheila said...

I also am new to your blog and will definitely send you some blocks as well as some from a friend who just called me after reading your story , she is not a blogger but wants to help so I will email you and get your address .Sheila in Nova Scotia Canada

Joy said...

That's just so sad ... what a lovely thing you're doing. I'd love to send you some blocks.
Your dear friend will be in my prayers.
Hugs,
Joy :o)

bearpaw said...

I just read about your project on Marg's blog and will definitely be making a couple of ohio star blocks this weekend. I will send them to Marg next week so she can send all the UK ones together. I am so sorry to hear about your poor friend but think what you are doing is wonderful.
Jo

young by design said...

I am so saddened to hear of the news of your friend. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. I have some blocks I can send you also.

Virginia said...

Absolutely, Lizzie - know exactly what I can send you. Am praying for Sue, her family and friends. All the best pulling together such a special project.

Micki said...

I am so sorry about your friend...That is so sad! I would be happy to do that for you and her. Please tell me which size block you want, or does it not matter. Also, send me your address, and I will mail some to you. Tell me if you want a certain color scheme.
Hugs,
Micki

Brighton Breezy said...

Yes please - I have some blocks I was experimenting with but would really love to send them on ... email me and I'll send a pic to make sure you want them!

I was featured on quilt story last week for the quilt I made while my brother was dying, so I really really really understand what this means ...

Donna~~ said...

Hi--If you email your address, I think I've some blocks that I won and never used--more a matter of IF I can find them, but I'll look tomorrow--just let me know where to send them.

badlandsquilts said...

I would love to help... please email me your addy and I'll send something this week.

Joke said...

I just began quilting and I have only four blocks (started something but couldn't figure out how to do the other blocks)Thy're not perfect but I'll send them out to you, so mail me your address.

Scottish Nanna said...

I am only A new quilter But I will send you A few blocks Send me your address
Hugs Mary.

blessed speedy said...

I'm happy to send a block - let me know your address

PamelaJ said...

What is your address so I can send some blocks and fabric I have a whole pile of machine embroidery stitch outs that would go into a quilt

Valentina said...

I heard about your lovely idea 'through the grapevine' and am delighted to have landed in your blog!
Oh Lizzie, I love your photography! I have so much to learn from you and could spend hours studying your shots... :)
I think what you are doing for Sue is lovely and I am truly honoured to be able to contribute.
Valentina from Cyprus

Mary K said...

i sent you an email already. I would be more than happy to donate. Bless you all and take care.

chook said...

I would love to send a block will email
hugs Beth

Janet said...

I've been missing for a few days and am just seeing your request now. If you still want some blocks I'd be happy to send something. Let me know your address.

linda said...

Hey Lizzie, are you still looking for any blocks? I just came across this today. I'm so sorry for your friend.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin