Sunday, 17 October 2010

Sewing, flowers, stress and the remedy.......

I've been absent for a while so here's a little...


... forget-me-not to remind you that I'm still around..!! Last Saturday was the last day of my photography course and we were dipping a toe in the waters of macro, which as you may have noticed is my all out favourite photography mode. I love that close up look into things we take for granted. Technically, these flowers aren't macro, more like just a very close up look into the heart of their beauty. I love their blueness (?), the tiny hairs on the stems and the perfection of the yellow centres in their typical 'daisy' shape and how some are pink and some are blue. Natures selection at it's finest...


I told you in my last post that I'd been under the weather, thanks for all your thoughts and admonitions to put my feet up, it certainly helped :o)
I wasn't sick in the physical sense, just tired and worried really. I've been stressed over getting things right for this quilt for Sue. You've all been so wonderful, generous and caring in sending so many fabulous blocks to be included in this quilt that I was getting really stressed over how I was going to include all the blocks that had been sent! How I was going to achieve this without upsetting anyone, without anyone feeling that they had been left out because they couldn't see their block...!! If I was to make a quilt out of every block that I've received then I would have a quilt that was about 20ft square I think..!!!!


I've listened to some friends who told me to chill, to stop worrying and just make the quilt because that's what it's about! It's not about worrying about other people, not perfection, not how many blocks I can get in what size! It's about making a quilt for a sick friend, it's about the love and generosity of quilters (and non quilting friends) around the world, it's about the thought not the deed..!!
So, that's what I've done. I've left the politics of it behind. I'm making a quilt for a sick friend from blocks sent from around the world and I'm stitching the thoughts and love and support of you all in to it.....
If you don't see your block in the finished quilt it will probably be winging it's way to New Zealand to make a quilt for a child affected by the ongoing earthquakes and tremors in Christchurch, New Zealand. Since September 4th this year, Christchurch has had more than 1500 serious earth tremors...!!! Go see this post of Cat's if you think you can help, there are people everywhere that need a quilters hug, we can do that, you and I.........


Every single person that has sent a block or helped in any way whatsoever in the creation of Sue's quilt will have their name on the back. An honour roll of generosity and love......


So, on to blocks that came last week...



Thanks to Marg for sending blocks from quilters in the UK, I love all the stars. Check the sidebar for new names....
I started working out blocks and arrangements yesterday, I decided that in order to create order, I should build units from blocks then I could (in theory) join the units to make a whole..??? Sense..??
This is as far as I got yesterday...





..this arrangement could, and probably will, change before the final layout gets stitched together.
Laurie told me to look at it in black and white, good advice I found....





..it makes the overall values easier to see don't you think..?
At this stage it's about 60" wide and 70" long, I'm thinking that I won't make it much wider than that and I'll be adding about another 15"/20" to the length. I don't want it to be too big to be used on a hospital bed..!
Then I have to make another for the backing....!!!


While I was in the doldrums last week I started to think about Christmas presents and the making thereof..!! Not much to think about, I haven't started - any!! So I thought I'd better get myself in gear as I wanted to have hand made for all the adults this Christmas, the grandkids are a little harder to make for, especially now that so many are in their teens. Sign of the times (and peer pressure) dictates that they will all have store bought electronics I guess...
I am making a small quilt for all four of the adult children, I know, I should have started months ago...sigh, will I never learn..??


A few months ago I bought a 'curvemaster' foot at one of the quilt shows and hadn't tried it yet, thought it might be a good time to give it a go....



(..it's sideways so you'll have to tilt your head to the left like this......)


...and now I'm hooked!! I love it, I had one practice block and away I went, I'm sure if you look too close that there are a few seams not quite meeting but I'm thrilled with it. This is for ********! Just in case one of my children reads this, I don't think they will, but better safe than found out I say :o)


I finished another top and started the third, I only took a photo of the block before I took them down off the wall to put Sue's blocks up there so I can only show you one of the blocks......





..a disappearing four patch! Elaine from the Bee Balm has chosen this block as her block in the second year of our online bee, so I thought I would practice. It's such an easy block to do, I'll show you the finished quilt top when I can get it back on the wall....
This is a huge post but I probably won't be back for a week as I've promised to spend more time actually sewing and less time travelling to blogs around the world..!! I'm off to prepare a roast dinner now, youngest son and gorgeous lady moved back down from Far North Queensland to Victoria on Friday and they'll be here later for dinner. The request was for roast lamb and vegies, so that's what we're having..




In the meantime.............





...forget-me-not as I'll be back..........
xxx

15 comments:

Jodie said...

I thik your friend is right - ignore the politics and concentrate on making a beautiful quilt for your sick friend...
and look after yourself lizzie..

Sue-Anne said...

Hi Lizzie, I think that is great idea to donate the leftovers to the NZ earthquake victims. There is no way possible that you could ever get all those blocks into one quilt for your friend.

As usual, your photography is gorgeous - I love forget-me-nots and am looking at them in a totally different light now.

Robin Hill Quilts~Eileen G. said...

I was thinking about you Lizzie and right before I went up to bed I decided to visit my blog and you had just posted! You have been s0 busy!!My goodness....That quilt is a true joy to look at...and as you said it may change a time or two...Do know that we all truly believe that you are the best steward of the love donated ~so enjoy the process...its all good.
I am also a huge fan of your circle quilt~its very mod somehow ~
♥ E

Meredith said...

So glad you are not caught up about what blocks go into what quilt. I think this great that you were making it for her. The flower photos are great. I woyuld have struggled to cut up that gold and red serpentine fabric. The black and white photo was neat to see.

Melody said...

Hi Lizzie, I'm so sorry this has all proved to be stressful and a bit overwhelming. I think your solution is a great one. I will be happy no matter where my block goes if it helps someone who is experiencing difficult times.
The tip about using a black and white image to help with layout is a great one, I'll use that tip myself.
And you are one step better than me as I vowed to give handmade gifts this Christmas and haven't even sewed one yet. Yours are looking great.
Keep well and take care.

Sue said...

Hi Lizzie
I hope life's a bit easier now some decisions are made. Sue's quilt is going to be gorgeous and there will be lots of kids in NZ who will be better off too. I really love your circles quilt, just a flash of colour is perfect.

Rafael's Mum said...

I'm glad you have stopped the worrying! It's a joyfull quilt and all the blocks that have been made with love to help will do just that! and whether that is in Sue's quilt or in NZ, really does not matter. The purpose of sending them is so they end up with someone who needs them and they will! So stop worrying about who made them and just get the nicest quilt together you can and enjoy the process!

Glad you are feeling a bit better. Keep it that way and enjoy!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I'm sure that what ever you put together will be wonderful and loved and appreciated.

Great advice about the black and white pic...an excellent way to see value.

Take care ((hugs))

Margaret said...

You're doing a great job with the quilt -- your friend is right. And everyone will understand too. There's just no way you could use all those blocks! It looks lovely so far! Love what you're making for the adult kids too! You're so right about the young ones -- electronics is about all they want these days. My son has already requested an electronic gizmo for xmas as well. Good luck getting all the xmas presents done in time! And Sue's quilt as well!

Brighton Breezy said...

You've been on my mind so much - Yes - forget the politics!!

I for one don't mind where my quilt blocks end up as long as they make someone happy! I didn't send them for recognition I sent them to help someone, and if that 'someone' isn't Sue then that's fine with me!:)

It's looking beautiful :) You are a wonderful lady

baukje said...

Your friend is absolutely right. Don't get nervous about which block yes or no...... Look after yourself, its great work that you are doing!!!!!

Cat B said...

Oh Lizzie how could something so kind and so good turn into a stress for you?
I'm glad you've taken your friends advice and are now focusing on the quilt . . .
I'm incredibly grateful on behalf of every child who will receive a quilt made with the blocks woman from around the world have sent you.
This is my first experience with blog/quilt love and it humbles me and I can't thank everyone enough.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the black and white photo of the quilt for Sue and it also proves that a quilt doesn't need to be matching or co-ordinating or uniform, it's all about love xxx
Cat

Annemieke said...

What a great Idea to donate those blocks. It must have been overwhelming to get so many reactions. It is very satisfying to do something for a good cause, I think. And that is what you are doing, so I wish you good luck with all the work for your friend. I also had much fun making a disappearing ninepatch (small one). It is sort of magic don't you think?
Groetjes
Annemieke

beebee said...

Lizzie
the quilt will be beautiful. I can not wait to see the finished quilt! You are doing a great job with it. I wish I lived nearby so I could pop over and help you with this project. Want to load it all up and come to America for a few weeks and work on it here? LOL

Seams Sew Together said...

Fantastic work, I'm sure it will be well appreciated.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin