Tuesday, 26 October 2010

Spring seems to have sprung....

Finally, spring seems to have made it's way to this house in the country, about time too....!! I was taking a photograph this morning of this months Bee Balm block, when I looked out the window and thought..'self, the sun is shining, you should go outside..' so I did!







So here's Elaine's blocks for the bee balm, aren't they gorgeous? It's going to be a fabulous quilt Elaine, can't wait to see the rest....





....another, just because they look lovely on the little table AND I haven't been able to take photo's of quilty things outside for ages..





So, gratuitous spring photo's, the sun is in and out of the clouds but it's definitely warmer today (can you see me grinning from where you are?), this is taken from the glass doors on the verandah. This is the view from our lounge room, not bad hey..? Look at the Crab Apple, it's right at it's peak now...





Miss Martha, surveying her kingdom, she's off for a haircut and a beauty treatment on Thursday, not that she stays clean and neat for long mind..!





do you see the bud on this Herbaceous Paeony..? Well there are several more but what is amazing is that this is the first time any of them have flowered in seven years...!!! I can't wait to see them open, I think I forgot what colours I have now...





and finally, the Rhododendron, isn't she lovely, fabulous showy thing she is..
I didn't actually think that I would be posting and blogging today, I should have been down in Geelong at Mum and Dads. I go down every Tuesday, visit with Mum and Dad, take them a couple of cooked meals then pick up a couple of kids at the school bus stop, stop off somewhere and buy them food (they are starving you know) usually a hot dog and slurpee! I know, how healthy!! Then wait for their mum, my eldest daughter, to get home from her school, quick chat and then I drive the 45/50 minutes home. Simple, do it every week. About 10.30 this morning, I was just getting ready to go out when the phone rang. 

Mum............ "what day are you coming down this week???? Only we're going into town to do some shopping???"
Me.............. "well, today Mum, it's Tuesday today. What time will you be home from shopping?" 
Mum........... "later"
Me..............."OK then, will I come see you after you've been shopping?"
Mum............"If you like, that will be a nice change..."
Me.............."Alright then, I'll be over after I've picked the kids up from the school bus."
Mum..........."Do they catch the bus to school now?"
Me.............."Yes Mum, for two years now."
Mum..........."Well, alright then, I wish people would tell me these things..!"
Me.............."Sorry Mum, I must have forgotten, I'll see you later then............."

Quite possibly I'll get there and she will want to know why I'm so late  :o)


Life is nothing short of an adventure when Alzheimer's takes control.........

xxx

p.s. the quilt is at the quilters as we speak, so exciting...!!!

19 comments:

beck said...

Your garden looks amazing Lizzie! Wow. Isn't the spring weather amazing? Good luck with mum, you do a fantastic job helping out with all your family. Looking forward to seeing the quilt! xo

Lurline said...

Love, love, love your garden!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Melody said...

Hi Lizzie, your garden is looking beautiful, all that wonderful rain helped. Thanks for sharing the photos. Have a great week.

Francien said...

What a beautiful pictures Lizzie...what a difference with the cold and grey days here...the Rododendron looks lovely!! tryed to dry the flowers when he was blooming here like i do with our Hydrangea.. but that did not work out..
and those quiltblocks!! wow...i just love the brown one...such awesome fabric..
Have a fine week...greetings Francien.

Julie said...

such beautiful photos, as usual lizzie. your blocks are so pretty, love the fabrics. sunshine seems to have been a thing of that past around here also. our yard is still a quagmire.
enjoy your time with mum & dad.
julie xo

Cat B said...

Those blocks are simply divine and I can't wait wait wait to see the quilt *woot woot woot* exciting . . .
I smiled reading your conversation with your Mother. It took me back 20 years to conversations with my grandmother, before the Alzheimer's really took control ;'(
Cat xxx

Vireya said...

Beautiful blocks, beautiful garden!

Kate said...

Pretty garden pictures Lizzie - the Crab Apples have been very good this year, even my baby ones in Sydney!

Your "Elaine's blocks" turned out very well - no trouble with rotary cutters?
:o) K

Kathie said...

beautiful pictures.....
oh thanks for the smile this morning I remember conversations like that with my aunt.
Keep smiling!
Kathie

Margaret said...

Lovely blocks -- and lovely garden too! It's time for me to be envious of you all for having spring now. :D Hope the visit to your parents this week worked out in the end.

Sue said...

The blocks look especially gorgeous in your lovely garden.
You are such a good daughter, Mum and Nanna all rolled into one.
Sending you more sunshine in exchange for just a little rain on my dry old garden.

dreamacresdiary said...

lovely garden. My friend Susan in Australia linked me to your blog. My Mum has alzheimers too, she is 90 years old and in a sorry way. It was good to read of someone else in same position, makes you not feel quite so alone with it all.
Thanks for a good read and view
Karon

LuAnn said...

Beautiful view from your lounge room. I love flowering crab trees. It is fall over here. Love the fabrics in the quilt blocks, too. Beautiful photos.

bjk said...

Your flowers are just beautiful....your garden is very inviting.

Kim said...

We've exchanged comments for a few seasons now and I must say that I find all of your seasons to be beautiful - especially because you photo journal all so well. Thanks for that! My gram had Alzheimer's...it's an adventure and a bit of a roller-coaster ride for certain and I do wish that your family did not have to go along for this particular ride. Thanks again for sharing so well.
Kim

Micki said...

I love your garden...It is stunning! I have worked hard on ours...I am mostly in a secret garden in the side of our garden...It literally can't be seen until you enter using the gate.
Micki

deb said...

those blocks are beautiful and happy...and so is your garden...Im SOOOOOOOOOOO happy I found your blog!!!!!!!!!!

taylorsoutback said...

Here in chilly, frosty nights Northern Wisconsin, I can visit you and savor your gorgeous Spring images - thank you, thank you!!

We have very similar conversations with my Mom - not Alzheimer's as far as we know now, but major memory loss...I must remind myself to lead gently by the hand and practice patience...a journey so many of us are making.
Take care.

baukje said...

Its so strange to see your spring garden and here in France it's all fall garden. Leafs are falling, but weather is still lovely, nights are a bit cold but you can drink your coffee outside. I love this season....
Hope you are well!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin