Friday, 14 January 2011

My Country................

This has been running around in my head all week, thinking of flood ravaged Queensland, Western Australia battling bush fires, cyclone watch in the far north and my state of Victoria on flood alert today. Even here in my little village where today a young boy was rescued from a flooded drain after becoming trapped and almost losing his life. I have to keep remembering that we will come out of this stronger......we always do...!
Enjoy..


The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies -
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.


I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror –
The wide brown land for me!


The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.


Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die –
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.


Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.


An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land –
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand –
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

My Country
by Dorothea McKellar
(1885–1968)

She really knew what she was talking about didn't she.....?
xxx

10 comments:

Sue-Anne said...

thank you Lizzie for posting that poem in its entirety. I have been thinking about it all day "in drought & flooding rain".

Hope all is well with you in your town. This time last year we were on water restrictions in 40 plus degree heat and today it hasn't stopped raining!

simplestitches said...

Sums it up beautifully!
Thanks for sharing the complete poem.

Well we in Australia can never say we are bored with our weather....extremes to say the least.
Julz

Ann said...

Just beautiful Lizzie, thank you for posting that complete poem, the photographs are stunning. This is why we love Australia. Take care, Ann

Sue said...

Nice to see all the words, I could only remember the "In droughts and flooding rains" line too. It's been running through my head for days. Great selection of pics too. Thanks

Margaret said...

What a beautiful poem. And the pictures are spectacular. Australia is definitely a country to be proud of.

Shirley said...

What a fabulous poem. I was just browsing and found it. I hope that you are safe wherever you are. I am in England in the South West.

Vireya said...

I love that poem! Thanks for posting it and reminding me.

Julia said...

What a beautiful post Lizzie...that poem always brings a lump to my throat.
I wasn't born here, but I'm an Aussie through and through, I love this country, and this breaks my heart to see alll this devastation and suffering.
Julia ♥

Kate said...

I was thinking about you and your little village when I heard the story of that boy on the news.
That poem certainly is a goose bump maker.
Lots of love, Kate XX

sewwhatnext said...

I agree that Dorothea knew what she was talking about. Interesting how our weather swings from one extreme to the other. I've been thinking about this poem and "Andy's Gone A Droving" a lot over the last month. I'm going to go have a good sticky beak now. I like what I am seeing.

:D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin