Monday, 3 January 2011

You know those boundaries.......

...well I'm pushing them.........





I started this way back here and I'm quite surprised that it was 2009..!! I got the top finished back then but I wasn't keen on it so, you guessed it, it was shoved away at the back of the shelf! I pulled it out before Christmas and looked at it, I had ideas of finishing it for our youngest daughter for Christmas, the colours are her down to a T..! I have done another for her but she loves anything thats out of the box, not quite the same as others! I pulled it out again today, time to get back to the machine and some stitching.


The trouble is it's not straight!!! No idea why but the bottom half is listing to the right, bit like a sinking ship really..! I know that if I start ripping it apart I may as well throw it in the rag box for washing the cars, it will never, ever get put back together again...ooohh, bit like humpty dumpty hey?? Even ten thousand men wouldn't be able to put it back together!!


Soooo, I decided that it was do or die! I got out the scissors and cut it in half and inserted the lovely Liberty Paisley 'Babishka', I'm going to stitch green bias (the same as the green strips) along the edges of the wave and I want to put some more 'bendy' bits on two of the corners...
I'm thinking of cutting off the bottom half and doing..........something to turn it around and make it a little straighter. I know it all sounds really airy fairy and vague doesn't it? But I figure it's sat there for over a year, I don't like it the way it is, it's not straight and it's going to sit there for another few years and then I'll end up throwing it out. So I might as well try a little free form cutting and sewing..! I'm quite enjoying the freedom of just getting scissors and cutting, quite liberating really, can't hurt can it, it will either be a great quilt or a great wash cloth.. :o)

Go on, you can say it....I've lost the plot but I'm having a ball.......
xxx


I'm thinking squares and circles, gotta go cut while it's in my head, don't I sound artistic  hehehe!!

15 comments:

Posie Patchwork said...

Brilliant idea, wow, how heart breaking that is wasn't straight & i was just thinking the angle of the photo. All that beautiful work is not going to waste, so clever to curve it up. Love Posie

Julia said...

Go for it Lizzie...
If your Dd likes things out of the box, she's sure to love this...it'll be a great save!
and finished!!
Julia ♥

Julie said...

umm WOW! so not my usual choice of colours but i am in love!
do as much fiddling and playing as you can and make it something really way out there lizzie.
can't wait to see what you come up with.
xox

Jindi's Cottage said...

I love the whole "it can't hurt" attitude...way better than using it for washing the car...love the inserted curved paisley strip...I think the whole liberated attitude goes very well with Kaffe fabrics...have a great time playing...

Kali said...

The part of me that is 'wild' loves the colours Lizzie, and even more I love what you are doing to it. It is going to end up a masterpiece for sure. I have done a similar thing in the past...it is quite a freedom to go crazy on a top that has no future other than what you are doing to it now...have fun :)

Annemieke said...

Exciting! It is liberating to do something that is not written down for you is it? It is also possible perhaps to just cut squares out of a big top you don't like, and than use those squares like crazy patchwork blocks. I didn't try out this myself but I just thougt of it now I'm writing.
Hope to see you finish this one!
Groetjes
Annemieke

Maree: said...

Yes Very Artistic...can't wait to see the End result...a Lizzie Original...
cheers

Deb said...

What a great idea. The quilt looks fabulous. I'm sure your daughter will love it. Hope you're having a great New Year so far.

Margaret said...

What a great way to fix a problem quilt! It's so pretty too!

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Inspired solution! Can't wait to see the results.
kim

Rafael's Mum said...

who says it has to be straight? You can always cut another curve through or patch bubbles on or make it slant even more! slanting is interesting. Just go for it and see where your journey leads you!

Sue said...

You go girl and if you have any doubts just do it anyway. It's gonna be fabulous. No rools remember.

Frances Leate said...

It is amazing how much "need" seems to influence our creativity - if the strips had been straight there would not have been the need to create a great art quilt. Have a wonderful 2011 and happy stitching!

Quiltnbee said...

Oh!! I absolutely LOVE this!! What fun!

baukje said...

Good luck Lizzie, I love the colors, they look like floral japanese prints.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin