Sunday, 20 March 2011

I'm back Gudrun.....

...but I haven't really been anywhere. My PC crashed and burnt, luckily I had everything backed up well (thanks Mr Norton) but I'm not sure what good it's actually going to do me as I'm on the Mac now and some things just don't cross over well!! My Photoshop was for PC and I'll have to buy it again for the Mac, EQ just isn't compatible at all with Apple...sigh, it really is difficult and just all too much effort at the moment. First before I get into a long conversation I just want to say a Happy Happy Birthday to my Railway Man....





This man has been my rock for more than 40 years and I love him more each year, he's my shoulder and my crutch, my sounding board and my critic, my cheer squad and my coach and most of all he's the man I want to grow old with. I love you Railway Man, with all my heart.....toot toot!!


I've had some health issues in the last few weeks and without going into details, they are ongoing and something I have to learn to live with, nothing terminal so don't worry, I'm not going anywhere yet!! Too many quilts to make to go anywhere AND that leads me very nicely into the fact that I have a TA DA moment....





This is one of the quilts from the Flickr Bee I belong to, Dec/Jan was my month/s and as we make two blocks, this is only one of mine. You'll have to wait 'till May to see the other one, the block is the same, different fabric though.





Quilted by the very talented Bec from Homestead Quilting...





The binding is machined on in the pic, but it's not hand stitched down. It is now, I finished it the other day and it's folded on the shelf looking beautiful..





..I love the colours in this. The fabric is Bliss and I love the way it almost glows in the sunlight on my sewing table WHICH very neatly leads me into telling you that I've moved..! Well, just my sewing room, but still, it was a huge effort...
I don't know whether I told you or not but we took down our island bench in the kitchen and replaced it with our dining table. We love having the table in the middle of our big country kitchen but the dining room, which is open to the kitchen wasn't really doing anything special. We still had our big dresser in there as it's too big to go in any other room so we thought why not move my room into there then the Railway Man can have my old room, which is off the lounge room to make his model trains and doll houses in....perfect. The room is lovely and warm in the winter as the kitchen stove is lit for at least 7 or 8 months of the year up here in the hills.
The walls were a deep green and the dresser was white....




Now the dresser is black and the walls are white.....
I'm still not 100% sure on the Japanese fabric, I really wanted to put some French General red on there (and I probably still will) but the Railway Man liked this..





We're moving anti-clockwise around the room..





Lots of storage...





...and places for puppies....



...a place to blog...





...more excellent storage. This used to be the top part of an old desk in I think a Railway Ticket office (what else?), we do have the doors but I love it just the way it is. Old Kauri and Baltic Pine glowing with beeswax polish, love, love it (and I love that the Railway Man dropped everything to clean and polish it for me before we brought it in from the shed...)





Looking out into the kitchen...





..and back in from the kitchen..
Can I just say that I am extremely happy with my new room...?


Lastly just a little puppy love to finish off a long post.....





Miss Martha fresh from the beauty parlour and showing off her pink spotty harness, she's not impressed though, she hates having a harness or a coat on...





..but this one on the other hand doesn't care what you put on her. The adorable Miss Molly, washed, brushed and beautified..


Hopefully it won't be so long between chats next time, busy week though. Our local quilt show is on this weekend, you know, the one I won in last year..!!


What was that? Who's Gudrun :o) Gudrun is my good bricks and mortar friend, you know, real life not blog life and she was complaining last week that I hadn't posted so she had nothing to read, so there you go Gudrun, just for you...


C U Later...
xxx













23 comments:

Jodie said...

Lizzie , your home is beautiful but I am a bit worried about your health....
Want to catch up in the holidays ???

Julie said...

You'll love your Mac when everything is sorted. Bliss quilt is divine. House looks fabulous, like out of a magazine. Hope you are OK and we have you around for a bit longer. xxx

Quiet Quilter said...

Love the wood cubbyholes and shelving! Your home looks so warm and homey, as well as organized. Congrats on your new room, and Railway Man's also..

Deb said...

Love your 'new room'. It looks so inviting and true to your personality. And so much space, Wow! Happy Birthday Mr. Railway Man. Great photo and cake. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x5

Margaret said...

I've been wondering where you were. :D Bummer about the computer issues. Hope you like your Mac. I love Mac, but it's true -- it's a pain the differences between Mac and PC.

Happy birthday to your man! Is his birthday the 19th or 20th or21st? It's my son's birthday today, the 20th. :D

Love your quilt! Love your new digs too! Looks like a magazine spread to me. Beautiful! And those two fur babies -- adorable!

Frances Leate said...

What a great space for quilting and I am sure we will see some wonderful creations emanating from there. I love the look of your house and there seems to be a lot of love between those walls. Lovely quilt. Look after yourself.

Kim said...

Hi Lizzie. Welcome back! It's good to hear all about the changes, birthdays and all...good to know you are still kicking! Take care, feel better and enjoy your happy new sewing room. :-D

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Great space, well done!

Catherine said...

Happy Birthday to the railway man and I'm loving his cake, did you make it?
Also your room is simply fantastic, I love the fact it is part of your home, whereas mine is tucked away ;'(
Welcome back and hey I have a Mac saying "Once you've worked on Mac, you'll never go back" - I've been on one now since 2003 - I did work for Apple NZ so am a little biased LOL

baukje said...

Glad you are back. Lovely house you have . I also have a MAC, so beautiful and so easy!!!!!!!

Julia said...

There you are Lizzie....welcome back!
Your place looks lovely and homely, comfy...it'll be lovely being and sewing near the warm kitchen,
Happy Birthday to DH...

broderie said...

from one lizzie to another! your room change is so good, right in the middle of everything, great use of space! you can chat, sit, sew and cook all at the one time. take care of you!

Gwargedd said...

Am very jealous of your set up I wish I had time to set up my space like that it would be great to have a room to go to

Ilove the black cabinet it looks great. Your dogs are very cute too,

Fiona said...

Totally loved catching up today with your post - Wow hasn't your baby grown :) Love your new sewing area and adore the Bliss quilt.

Hugs - Fee X

Sue said...

Welcome back Lizzie, I've missed you.
HB to your bloke and I love his cake.
Thanks for sharing your sewing room, I feel like I've been to visit you. One day I will!
The "Bliss" quilt looks great and Bec has done a fabulous job.
So much to say after such a great post.

Rebecca said...

The quilt looks wonderful and love the new quilting space. It looks like your lovely doggies like the quilt too and as for the cake wow so cool. I am sorry to hear you are unwell but pleased to hear it is nothing that will inter fear with your quilting .
Big Hugs Bec xx

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hi Lizzie!

I don't know where to begin... Happy birthday to Railway Man! I love his cake... did he save me a piece?! *wink*

Your sewing room looks amazing and I love how you can see in to the kitchen, it's so homely and beautiful. I am in love both with your gorgeous dogs, and with your Bliss quilt... I've been looking for a pattern for a quilt for Rosie's bed and just love the design.

Keep well Lizzie! Lots of love!
Vikki xoxoxo

ps. Hi Gudrun!!!!!!!

taylorsoutback said...

All that lovely storage space and work area and convenient to keeping an eye out on a simmering pot when it is on the stove or in the oven...great planning!
I have been wishing for a Mac and wondering how the transition would be from my old PC.
Your Miss Martha & young Molly look stunning after their day at the Spa! What sweethearts...
Take care and have a good week.

Chookyblue...... said...

take care of yourself.........Bec is a beautiful quilter........love your quilt..........

Maree: said...

Lovely to hear from you Liz..Hope you are feeling better...
Thanks for sharing your New Room looks Great....
I am a Bliss Lover too & it looks Gorgeous in your Quilt...
Take Care
xx

Leanne said...

Love your new room not sure I could have mine on show like that it is never tidy. Love your 2 helpers on the photo shoot. Hope your illness is manageable.

Hélène said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely Railway Man, and all the best wishes for your health!

Can I come over and live with you? I'll just sit in your new room and enjoy the view...it's sooo lovely!
I wish you many happy hours in there!

Take care! Hélène from The Netherlands

Ann's Quilting - Journey said...

Hi Lizzie, you have such a lovely cottage and I like all the beautiful quilts you have folded up on your shelves. Take care, Ann

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin