Sunday, 10 April 2011

From my Window....

This was the view from the window of my new sewing room on Thursday....





Yesterday...





This morning...





...all that colour just about gone, blown away in a blast of autumnal rain and wind, but I still get to look at this everyday...





..so it's not too bad really :o)


The Curly Willows on the left and the Oak just behind it will all lose their leaves in the next month or so but the view down what is our secondary driveway won't change too much. Some frost and maybe some snow hopefully to show, just different seasons on the same scene. I love this vista, since we came here nine years ago the trees in the driveway have more than doubled in size, totally changing what we see. The big old Cyprus trees that you can see arching over the entrance to the driveway are about 120 years old and sadly coming to the end of their lifespan. We have to seriously think about removing them in the next few years. We can't risk those huge branches cracking and falling. We will miss them and so will the Magpies and Crows that have nested in the same branches since before we came here. We can see one large nest from our bathroom window and have watched each year as Mama Maggie hatches her eggs and nurtures her babies, I've wept as I've picked up tiny hatchlings thrown or fallen from the nest and laughed at her newly fledged babes learning to fly, first from branch to branch then taking the leap of faith and following mum to the sky above...
We'll plant new trees in their place of course but we'll be gone long before any new trees reach greatness...


I haven't just been staring out the window thinking deep and meaningful thoughts this week, I have done some sewing, honestly I have..





This is Marl's block from the Bee Balm online bee, isn't it striking fabric, I can't wait to see this one put together it's going to be a beauty I think...!


I've also done some stitching on my Pennies quilt and finished all the blocks for our granddaughter Eden's quilt. Sashing and corner posts are cut and ready, so today I'll put it together ready to sandwich and quilt. Her 12th birthday is only three weeks away so I'd better get myself into gear and stop watching the world go by from my window...

10 comments:

Christine said...

Your garden looks very inviting

have a great day
Christine

Lynne said...

Lovely garden and beautiful view beyond.

DD and I completed our first ever quilt yesterday when we attended our first ever quilting workshop (see today's post)- what fun!

Margaret said...

Don't you hate it when a storm blows down all the pretty leaves? I still can't get used to you all having the opposite of what we're having. I saw my first budding tree today! :D

Love the quilt square. And my! What lucky grandkids you have, always getting quilts from their grandmother. Such treasures -- they probably take it for granted!

Sue-Anne said...

What a beautiful garden you have Lizzie. Our yard is totally gold at the moment, with all the leaves falling from the trees.

Appalachian Quilts said...

Love your garden. What an inspiration of color for your quilting!

Blessings

Catherine said...

Now what a gorgeous view that is!! !! !!

Faeryfay said...

Ooooh, what a gorgeous view from your window! I just love the Autumn colours. Beautiful!:-)

Sue said...

Your garden is gorgeous Lizzie, I think I might have to move to somewhere wetter, greener and cooler too.

Denice said...

I love watching the seasons change opposite ours. You are watching your autumn and we're counting each green blade of grass as it appears in our spring!

Annie said...

Those views are magnificent. Lucky you to have them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin