Friday, 22 April 2011

Good Friday........

The girls and their respective families are coming up today instead of our usual get together on Easter Sunday as The Railway Man has a rostered day off. So we decided that the kids could have Easter eggs today from Nana and Granddad and the adults would have a late and leisurely lunch. I'm not a religious person at all but I love the symbolism that surrounds Easter and other religious holidays. We always, always have some form of fish on Good Friday, just because that's what I grew up with so today I'm cooking this....





Some of the kids (and adults too) don't particularly like seafood of any description, so I've got a vegetarian lasagna ready to go in the oven too, both with a yummy green salad on the side...
Then we'll have some of this....





..with a spoonful of whipped cream.


We'll also have a slice of this I expect...





..I made a traditional Easter Simnel cake yesterday. I changed the recipe slightly as I don't particularly like mixed dried fruit so mine has just sultanas and some chocolate chips with the cherries. I still put the layer of marzipan in the middle and then the marzipan on the top with the twelve minus one little marzipan balls (to represent the true apostles) you can read the history of it here on Wiki.


There's plenty of these in the pantry too....





...more of that religious symbolism, although I'm sure that many people now don't actually know the origin of the hot cross bun. I remember as a child the playground chant of...


Hot cross buns!
Hot cross buns!
One ha' penny, two ha' penny,
Hot cross buns!
If you have no daughters,
Give them to your sons
One ha' penny,
Two ha' penny,
Hot Cross Buns!


Too many moons ago to count that one...!!


Of course there's plenty of symbolism of another kind in the house this weekend too...





...these little guys are destined to be well and truly minus ears and tails by the end of the day, the boxes of eggs that go with them are tucked away until the kids get here..





...we adults like a little chocolate boost too, these little eggs are perfect to just 'snack' on and of course, this Easter we've also got Anzac biscuits in the cookie jar as it's Anzac day on Monday so it really is a weekend of symbols and symbolism.


The rain woke me several times last night, dripping outside the open window and pattering on the tin roof, always a lovely sound when you're warm and snug but I woke up early and cold this morning, time to put an extra blanket on the bed? So I got up and lit the fire in the lounge room at 5am, the kids will be cold when they get up here, definite temperature drop as you come up into the hills. 


This morning through my window....





...it was cold, grey and wet so a good day for tasty comfort food in a warm, steamy kitchen, family chatter, shiny wrapped chocolate to nibble on and symbols.....
Lots of comforting symbols....


Whatever your Good Friday and the rest of the Easter weekend holds for you I hope it's full of the symbols you love.......
xxx

9 comments:

Maree: said...

What a Beautiful View from Your Window Lizzie it is just Gorgeous...
Lots of Yummy Happenings at your House Today...Hope You All have a Great Family Day...
Happy Easter.
cheers

Robin Hill Quilts~Eileen G. said...

Lizzie~
Your fish stew looks scrumptious!!!! And whatever is under that dome~I'll take a bite of that too!! Great feel good post♥
Eileen

Margaret said...

What yummy food! I love all the symbolism and all. I hope you have a wonderful Easter with your family!! (I want some fish stew......)

Margaret said...

The warmth that is coming from your home on this Good Friday is what the Easter message is all about. Love and they way it is given. Ears first or feet ?? whatever Nanna and Pa will be symbols of love .

Julie said...

have a wonderful and cozy day with your family lizzie.
xox

Melody said...

What a fabulous post. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Sue said...

Lovely things to share with your family. I love the traditional Easter food too.

Lynne said...

I hope you had a wonderful day.


My plan was to do some sewing; I ended up moving furniture!

baukje said...

I never heard of a simnel cake and the hot cross buns. I found recipes ...... Th look from your window into the garden is lovely. Have a happy Easter. Hugs

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin