Thursday, 28 April 2011

I have a friend....

...a friend that I've never met. I know that we make many 'blogging' friends that we will never meet in the 'real' world, but this person has become a true friend. Anyway, yesterday I got a parcel in the mail from this friend. This is what fell out when I opened the parcel...





It's an old quilt top, my friend knows that I love Civil War fabrics and that I have a love of the quilts of that period. When I asked her in an email this morning how old she thought this one might be this was her reply.....


I did not wash or mend it. It is a wonderful example of post Civil War piecing. A lot of the fabrics are from the 1880 era. Some earlier and then some later. I would venture to guess that the fabrics probably came from Grandmas scrap bag. I love the Indigo fabrics the most. The Indigos came from South Africa, but when the factory there went belly up, they sold the rollers to a company in South Carolina, then back to South Africa. Busy little beavers. I love quilt history, and fabrics, threads, dyes, etc.

As for the true age, hmmm, open for debate. If the thread on the back is thicker than normal, that too will give you a definitive clue to a time period.




Look at those stitches, so neat and even. I wonder who she was, did she have a family to care for, did she stitch by candle light, how many other quilts did she leave unfinished..??



..look at this little piece, a tiny sliver of fabric pieced into the bow tie, nothing wasted, every little piece used..





I'd like to repair and quilt this top, finish what another woman started, love and cherish what another woman put her heart into.


I love it. I just want to look at it for a while, just enjoy it for what it is right now and think about how I'm going to repair it, then how I will hand quilt it..?




I'm not going to tell you my friends name or blog because that's not the way this friendship works and I don't think that's what she would want me to do, what I am going to say is that in all this world, I couldn't have found a better friend if I had tried. Thank you, you know I really, really love it....


I've got my very best friend coming for lunch tomorrow so I should move myself and get some cooking done, do some washing while the sun is still shining, I might even run a duster over some furniture (or else the railway man will do it for me, he's much better at it than me) but if I don't, it doesn't matter 'cos Jen and I won't be looking at dust, we've got some catching up to do....


Just before I go, have a little look at this....





...I persevered with my struggle, nothing fancy and to be truthfully honest, not the best quilt that I've ever made BUT Edie will love it I know! It's ready to have the binding hand stitched down, not tonight though, that's my stitching while I sit in front of the box watching THE wedding tomorrow night...!! I love a bit of Pomp and Pageantry, it's the Brit in me I guess....
xxx

22 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Lizzie, that quilt is amazing. To look at it through your eyes makes me wonder too of the story behind it.
How treasured it is....and the person who sent it to you must realise that you will love and care for it in your very own special way.
Looking forward so much to tomorrow dear girl, xxxx

Maree: said...

What a Wonderful Friend to give you such a Special Gift...Love the History behind this Quilt.
Enjoy.

Cathy said...

What a beautiful gift from a special friend. I will be interested to see how you repair it. If only the old fabrics could tell their story. Perhaps another reason why we need to label everything we make. Your quilt looks lovely almost finished! I too will be enjoying the pomp etc, tomorrow!!

Ann's Quilting - Journey said...

Oh Lizzie this was such a beautiful post, it brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful kind Friend who has given you a most precious quilt. This quilt reminds me of the fabulous book "Women And Their Quilts". It will be nice to see what you do to enhance and preserve this quilt. All the best, Ann

Paula said...

Wow.... that quilt top is something. What a generous friend. I'm sure you will repair and quilt it beautifully. Thank you for sharing, happy stitching.

Paula

Lurline said...

Oh, Lizzie - you are a lucky little duck - thanks for showing and hope to join you on your travel refurbishing!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Catswhiskers said...

what a beautiful story and 'rich' quilt!
I am so moved and day-dreaming about its past and hands that touched it.
Thank you for sharing.
Gina

QuilterLaura said...

Very cool quilt top! As I looked at the photos, I thought of a piece of an old quilt I purchased at a show once and I swear it's the same fabric...the navy with the white polka dot. I made a small bag out of the piece of old quilt I had. Who knows, maybe it's from the same person, lol. Enjoy your treasure.

Sue said...

Lizzie, it's such a beautiful gift from your "friend". Those fabrics are gorgeous and I'm sure you'll make it up into a delightful quilt.
Edie's Eden Quilt is looking great too. A royal gift for her.

Leanne said...

What a wonderful quilt. I wonder what tales it might tell.

Quiet Quilter said...

What a friend! She knew you would love the quilt and be the perfect quilter to lovingly reconstruct it. I would be scared to death!

Sue B said...

How wonderful, such a gorgeous gift from a true and very geneerous friend. I have loved reading your blog, and love your sewing room with all your fabric sitting on shelves. Mine sits in plastic tubs all sorted into colours or styles, nowhere near as pretty.

Margaret said...

What a wonderful gift! Such a truly beautiful quilt. I love the quilt you made for your granddaughter too. I think it came out great! You're so lucky the royal wedding is in the evening for you. I don't think I'm getting up early to watch the wedding at 3am. :( I have DS's audition later in the day and have to be awake and alert. Ah well. Hopefully I'll be able to see it somewhere sometime.

Annie said...

What a very special treasure - remind me to tell you a similar story one day

Karen said...

I'd say you have found a very good friend. A friendship that has been cultivated and grown into something very special. Enjoy your antique quilt top!

Francien said...

Oh Lizzie..that is beautiful...if that quilt could talk!!...i am always amazed what gorgious quilts the woman did make way back when...most of them all by hand over many years...with fabric of there dresses...kid cloths or husband shirts or whatever!!all with no fancy templates..rulers..matching threads.or Moda....lol....well..you know what i mean...you enjoy and treasure it and make it beautiful as you can do that...
greetings Francien

mdgtjulie said...

Love the quilts. Sounds like you have a really good friend there!!

Jodie said...

Lizzie, you are dead right - you do indeed have a friend , the quilt is perfect gift for you.

Julie said...

wow! what a sweet friend to give you such a gift lizzie. i know you will treasure this always.
loving your finish too.
xox

baukje said...

Oh Lizzie, what a LOVELY, GORGEOUS present. I also love quilts with a history, so I can imagine that you are dreaming away when looking at this quilt.

Lynne said...

What a lovely gift.

Gorgeous colours in that other quilt.

Sandra Henderson said...

so sweet... Just precious how this person could be so generous and thoughtful. I KNOW you will love it and finish it and treasure it forever. The original owner would be so proud! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin