Sunday, 17 April 2011

I've gone all woolly...

...obviously I've contracted the wool bug again! Well I never really lost it, it just got lost somewhere in life, but I found it hiding at the AQC (Australasian Quilt Convention) this weekend...!
I went down to Melbourne on Friday with the group of friends that I quilt with every week and had a fabulous day. A few of us are starting a new Japanese inspired quilt after Easter so we wanted to pick up some fat quarters for that....





..my friend Jill and I are both sticking to reds and indigos so we each bought eight or nine fats and we'll swap so that we both have a bigger variety. The pattern calls for 10" blocks so we'll have plenty to swap around...
I bought one of those little irons too, you know what they're like don't you. Every year at quilt and craft shows, I look at them and think about buying one! Every year I think will I or won't I? Do I really need a teeny tiny iron? Every year I've gone home without one! This year I bit the bullet and bought one, I'm a bit over having my regular iron and ironing board up all the time in my sewing room and now that my room is open to the main kitchen area I just want to put it away all the time. I did have one of those little fold up boards and then Mum gave me her table top board, it's quite old and much sturdier than the new ones so the little iron will be perfect on there. More space in my room too..


Hmmm, what else did I come home with..? Oh yes, I bought a little (I seem to be into tiny don't I?) light to go on my sewing machine. The inbuilt light on my new Brother is quite woeful, nowhere near as good as the light on my 20 year old Pfaff so I visited the wonderful Scissorman at the show and he had some little battery operated LED lights. Two for $20, can't knock that back can you. But that was yesterday! Yep, I went back for another go on Saturday. I had always planned on doing this, I just find that you don't get round to everything in one day and there were a couple of blogger friends that I wanted to catch up with too. I caught the train early on Saturday morning and eventually found Jodie and Annie (after much arm waving out of train doors and the disconcerting sight of me running down the platform to the back carriages!!) where they had saved me a seat (it's a busy train on a Saturday morning and quite often even though we are only the second stop, you have to stand) so we could chat on the hour journey. A quick trip up Burke St on the number 96 tram chatting to the passengers around you (as you do) and we were there. First stop coffee then off to explore again. My friend Sue from Millrose Quilt Gallery in Ballan was right next door to the Quilted Crow girls, how good was that? Thanks to all of you that stopped by and said hello to Sue and her sister Julie by the way, were you impressed? I bet you were..! I have to ask, which of you is the blogger from Sydney that visited? Sue didn't get your name and I really need to know now, wish I knew you were there, I would have loved to say hi!!


Anyway, over the day I 'bumped' into the gorgeous Nat, finally met Vikki, even though it was only a quick hug it was lovely to finally meet you Vikki, and had a chat with Deb and some of her sisterhood, saw the lovely Karen who I met last year a SIT (Sew it Together in Melbourne) I drooled (but not quite as much as some hey Annie) over the Sweet Sixteen quilting machine, spent quite a bit of time actually trying to work out how we could finance it! We finally ruled out the streets (who'd pay honestly) and selling the children ( mine are too old but who's going to give you serious money for untidy, grumpy teens...really!!) so we're still thinking about it.. Was really, really truly disgusted that someone at a quilt show for goodness sake could steal a gorgeous bag from a stand here, click on the link or Karen's link and read what happened.


Oh yes, woolly, nearly forgot there for a minute....





I bought a teeny bit of felted wool too..!Do you know how hard it is not to fondle felted wool? If you were there yesterday you might have seen Jodie and I having little face rubbing sessions with bundles of wool!!! Hmmm, that's enough said I think. Anyway, I bought the big roll on the left and the pieces over the arm of the chair from The Quilted Crow, honestly I could just move in there, seriously!! The bright rolls at the back (and the lovely piece of green velvet) were from..................damn, I don't think I got a card and it's not on the rolls so I can't tell you, but it's lovely anyway. The Mary Flanagan bundles of red and green were from Dyed and Gone to Heaven. Oh they are so lovely. Are you impressed with my restraint  :O) 
What do you mean..what restraint? I was very restrained, I wanted to buy it all, but that would have entailed streets and selling children again so I thought not..  :o)
We got thrown out a 4.30 'cos it was closing but Jodie did manage to buy something quite special just before the venue closed, I'm sure she'll tell all about it soon. Quick dash to get the tram back down to Southern Cross station and caught the Ballarat train by the skin of our teeth, yes that did involve more of that disconcerting running. Women over a certain age should NOT run, really..! 


A fabulous couple of days thanks to all the friends I shared them with, it definitely wouldn't have been as much fun on my own..


Now, I need to stitch some wool.....
xxx

13 comments:

Julie said...

so pleased you had a lovely time lizzie. how could you not, when surrounded by so much yumminess. loving your wool choices.
as for the bag thief.... karma will bite that person's butt good and proper.
xox

Margaret said...

Oh gosh, can I have some too? lol! Sounds wonderful! Looks even better! I lovvvve wool!

Bernadette said...

Wish I had known you were going in on the train Lizzie I would have joined you! I have been looking at those little irons too..let me know whether I need to bite the bullet too and buy one!

Annie said...

Thanks for your lovely company Lizzy, I am still wiping drool, and have made the space already for the exact fit of Miss 16!!!!! I think I must have left the brochure in Jodie's trolley though ARGGGGGGHHHHH,

Lynne said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

I would have to find another method of finance - I couldn't bear to sell my DD! (perhaps the SIL? LOL)

Jodie said...

Lizzie, that little pile of wool is divine ! It was a great day - I think we should make it a yearly event (minus the running) and I thought you were a picture of restraint !

Sue said...

Oh Lizzie, what a lovely time you've had. I think next year I just might have to save up my pennies to meet you there. Don't ask me to run the length of the train station with you tho'.

Maree: said...

PHEW! what a weekend you had...Fabulous by the sounds...
I have one of those little Irons they are the best thing...you will love it...
Love all your goodies that wool is looking Divine from here...
cheers

Farmyard Crafts said...

Sounds like you had an amazing time!! You didn't buy much compared to others! ;)

Karen said...

I can't believe that was your second day!! If I had spotted those gorgeous blue and red fabrics they might have come home with me too - maybe I needed two days there.
Lovely to see you again too Lizzie.

Jen said...

What a pain to have such a wonderful day marred by a callous theif. Such a beautiful bag too...makes me even want to make it!
Looking forward to catching up soon my dear friend. Wish I had gone with you.... xxxx

baukje said...

Oh, I am sooooooooo jealous. The wool and the fat quarters look so beautiful. I am just planning a quilt with japanese fabric, i know I have enough....... but really you never have enough fabric.

Linda C said...

I think you may have bought that bundle from The Quilted Crow. They had bundles like that. They are going to be our trade table this year at Quilts in the Barn.
Look forward to seing your japanese inspired project.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin