Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Finished...

...which is just as well...



..it's her birthday today!!



..label stitched on last night..



After my huge struggle with machine quilting this, honestly it was! I decided to do what I really like to do and big stitch quilted, with Perle thread around the inside of the Ohio stars. I had three perfect colours, pink, green and yellow, which incidently I had left over from her sisters 12th birthday quilt. I also quilted around the white border with the same thread. I took a good length on the needle, stitched that until it was finished then changed colour. I did that all the way around the quilt and it looks lovely..



I had originally thought that I would quilt in the middle of the stars, but I changed my mind pretty quick on that so I've tied assorted white buttons in the middle with the perle thread. The buttons all came from one of the many jars that Mum gave me last year. So Edie has buttons from her great grandma on her quilt too.. I like that.



Ready to wrap this morning..



..approved by the inspector of all things that happen around here..!!

I knew all along I guess, that I would love it once it was finished. It did give me some grief with the quilting part though as you know, but when I'm stitching the binding on, I always remember why I chose the fabric, pattern etc. I always love my quilt while it's still mine, just before it goes to it's new home is my time to enjoy it, honestly I think I love the ones I give away more than the ones I keep!! Perverse??
So, I love this quilt and I know Edie will too...

The blocks were part of my Flickr bee and I'm ridiculously pleased that I've finished both quilts from this bee!!

I'll leave you this morning with this....



....*No thanks Mum, we'll just stay here this morning* 
The little one has overtaken Miss Martha in size, hmm, not quite sure how that happened! Our two girls are best friends, they play, run, guard and sleep together....food though is something different. Neither one ventures near the others food bowl, it's almost sacrosanct the respect they show one another while they're eating..!!
I could wish they did the same thing with our sleeping space..!!
xxx

30 comments:

Julie said...

oh lizzie you've done it again! i have a pretty big mouth, but your work tends to leave me speechless. gorgeous is all i can say!
happy birthday to edie, what a wonderful keepsake this quilt will be for her.
and those 2 precious ones just put the biggest smile on my face. i'm so loving how they've taken over your bed.... knew they would!
kisses for them. xoxoxo

Seams Sew Together said...

Just love your quilt, its beautiful and I am very intrigued as to how you made your label it looks printed, very nice.

Julia said...

Just gorgous Lizzie..Edie will love it..
I'm getting to hate machine quilting too..hand-quilting just adds that lovely soft comfy look to a quilt..
How about those two gorgeous smiling puppy faces...too cute!
Julia ♥

Kali said...

Lizzie the quilt you've made for Edie is absolutely gorgeous and I love your big stitching. Making a mental note to self about that.

As for Miss Puppy...boy didn't she grow up fast!

Vireya said...

What a lovely quilt! Congratulations on getting it done just in time!

Catherine said...

I love that fabric and the quilt is gorgeous as are your two wee pups - very cute -

Julie said...

Just beautiful Lizzie. I love the hand quilting around the stars and the buttons. It all fits perfectly.

Sue said...

It's such a beautiful quilt and I'm a little bit thrilled that I've helped in some small way to make it. I love the Perle stitching and the old buttons too.

Fiona said...

Gorgeous Quilt !!! I know the deeling - I have to get my share of the blankets early before the anchors (1 dog & 2 cats) arrive. They sleep in the middle - LOL

Margaret said...

I love that quilt!!!! The colors -- oh so wonderful! I love how you quilted and tied it too. Your GD is going to be very happy, I know. How do you make the label look so neat and amazing? Is it printed? Do you hand write? Wow! Beautiful!

Love the pic of the fur babies. Wow, the baby did outgrow her playmate, didn't she? They're so cute together!

Cathy said...

Ahh Lizzie this is a divine quilt, what a beautiful gift for your someone special!!! Gorgeous doggies. By the way, you do realise that in their minds you are sleeping in their bed?!!!! xo

Flutterby Angel said...

Hello lizzie
I am new to your blog and love it :)
I am very sure your granddaughter will love her quilt! I am a fan of the big stitch quilting too!
Cute little dogs ;)
Cheers
Vanessa

Maree: said...

Gorgeous Quilt for Edie..Well Done on getting it finished...
Love the Big Stitching...
cheers

Lurline said...

Just gorgeous, Lizzie - I really love it!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

The quilt is beautiful, Lizzie, and the buttons Are a lovely touch. Your two little friends look so comfy snuggled up on your bed, no wonder they wanted to stay there.

paddysdaughter said...

Lovely Lizzie - pretty, feminine, she will love and treasure it.

the running chicken quilting said...

Wonderful fresh colours and I love the pink hand stitching.

Quilt Kitty said...

Lovely quilt Lizzie & lovely pups too! Tracee xx

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Brilliant. I Love the over-sized stitches in perle cotton and the buttons! I have a weakness for buttons, and think it is extra special that her great grandma's buttons are part of your granddaughter's quilt.
This is a gift she will have forever.
kim

Bobbie Ashley said...

Lizzie, as always your babies are just too precious. Love them both. They make my heart smile.
The quilt for your granddaughter will be a treasure of a lifetime for her.
You did a beautiful job, it is perfect for a 12 year old.She will adore the colors and fabrics I am sure.
Thanks for sharing, wonderful job!

Cheers,
Bobbie

A Quilter Awakens said...

Beautiful quilt; adorable pups! Karmen

Karen said...

Gorgeous - I love how you have the selvedge with her name on it from the fabric range - so sweet.
She's a lucky girl Lizzie.

Chookyblue...... said...

beautiful I am sure she will love the quilt...........

LEEANNE said...

An absolutely gorgeous quilt, well done!

Pieces of Sunshine said...

I love this quilt, the prints are so beautiful and soft and the hand quilting finishes it perfectly.

I would also be interested in knowing how you made the label.

mdgtjulie said...

Wow, that quilt is really beautiful. I love the colors in it. Grats on getting it done in time!!

Leanne said...

I LOVE that last snap such innocent faces. The quilt is lovely and I am sure it will be cherished.

Khris said...

Awesome...looks fantastic..hugs Khris

Sew Useful Designs said...

BEAUTIFUL Lizzie!!!

The photo of your grandaughter is absolutely gorgeous too - look how her eyes are lit up!

Hugs sweetie!
Vikki xoxo

Lynne said...

The quilt is very beautiful; well done.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin