Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Recovery...

I haven't been around much for the last 10 days or so but my thoughts today are for my friends in Missouri, the devastation I see on the news is horrendous. How do you recover from something so heartbreaking? I don't know if I could! Stay strong, stay safe and stay positive and know that we are thinking of you.


I've been recovering too. From a badly infected leg, yes I know, stupid, stupid. We need to really take care of ourselves, think of self first for a change. We don't do that enough we women do we? We're strong for our sons and daughters, we lend a hand for a friend in need, we're there for aging parents but do we stop and think of us? Not often enough it seems with me..


So two rounds of antibiotics so far, a (very) painful Tetanus shot, dressings now down to daily from two and sometimes three times a day. Yep, serious stuff. The Railway Man did offer to make me a very colourful wooden one if all else failed, bless, I think he offered the same thing when I was bitten by the spider (same leg would you believe), looks like I might have escaped that fate this time but I appreciated the offer.


On Sunday last I had instructions from the doctor to 'rest your leg for four days', so, I did!! Does that surprise you, it did me I can tell you! I've been out once since then, I had to teach my computer class on Monday night but I did it sitting with my leg on a second chair for most of the time. I've been watching DVD's, mostly cooking series, in front of the fire (it's been very cold, wet and windy) and I've been sewing this....





..I can't tell you how excited I am that I've nearly finished the applique. I still have the berries around the border, the little velvet decorations on the tree and the holly leaves on the border to do. I'm hoping to have it sandwiched by the weekend!! I know! How exciting.
The girls (and hopefully youngest son) are coming up on Sunday instead of me going down to Geelong on Friday. I've told Dad (and Mum but she won't remember) that I won't be down, I'm having a week off! They will all come for a late lunch, I'll send the leftovers (always lots of those) down for Mum and Dad with one of the girls so they won't miss out. Tomorrow I'm going to Millrose for a 'Worlds Biggest Morning Tea', (Cancer fundraiser) and hopefully the longest Vanilla Slice!! I'll be sure to get photo's of that before it's all eaten :o) Then we are having a sit and sew in Millrose's great room, sure to be lots of laughing and chatting there, I'm so looking forward to it. I will be a good blogger and take my camera, promise!


From my Window this week....





..cold, wet, windy! Winter next week...sigh...!
I guess there'll be lots more of this then...





..even bigger sigh!! Is she really sticking that little pink tongue out at me? They have both been such good companions this week, sitting with me while I stitch and watch, they knew I wasn't feeling well and were (mostly) content to sit in front of the fire. She's still such a baby, she just had to escape to the garden for a few minutes and create havoc....such fun!!!
xxx

24 comments:

Jodie said...

Poor Lizzie, damn that oven door !
I'm home sick this week too and yes you are perfectly correct, stopping and looking after ourselves is not the easiest thing to do.
The quilt is looking spectacular - can't wait to see it in the flesh sometime soon.

Pieces of Sunshine said...

You have managed to delegate and be very productive while resting your leg. Hope it heals quickly and completely.

mdgtjulie said...

LOL, typical dog!! They love to get out and play in the mud. And wow, look at the colors on your quilt. Can't wait to see it finished!!

Marg said...

Such a cute face it would be hard to be mad at that!
Love the colours on the applique, they are so vibrant. It's great that you can still be productive while resting.

Sue McB said...

I had noted your absence from the airwaves...glad to hear you are on the mend..but a good time to be warm and cosy inside with this dreadful weather.

Francien said...

Your leg must have bin very painful too Lizzie...hope its going to be allright soon...you have great compagny indoors too...what a great picture of Miss Molly...love it...and your quilt is so beautifull..love the colors!!
greetings and take care...wish i could sent you some sunshine from Holland...its very warm here 23 degrees in Spring! we never had that! of to work..bye for now....Francien.

Catherine said...

I hear you re "We need to really take care of ourselves, think of self first for a change. We don't do that enough we women do we? We're strong for our sons and daughters, we lend a hand for a friend in need, we're there for aging parents but do we stop and think of us? Not often enough it seems with me.." I had this lecture from a friend recently .. .. ..
Please DO take care of yourself and I'm loving your quilt

Cathy said...

Ah Lizzie so sorry to hear your leg has still not recovered. I hope it gets better v soon. Mmm gloomy, cold weather here too, love the look on her guilty little face, she looks like she had fun though!!! xo

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hi Lizzie! First of all, I hope you heal soon love, I'm really sorry to hear you've had a tough time of it. xx

I absolutely ADORE your photos sweetheart! How cute is your pooch? And the rain on the windows... just love that one. I kind of like these days where it's all cozy indoors and the colours of the grass and sky are enriched by the rain and clouds...!

Lizzie - your quilt is AMAZING! Gosh, those fabrics and colours are divine! Can't wait to see more!!!

Have fun with your family sweetheart! It warmed me to think of you sending a food parcel to your folks! That's so sweet!

Hugs sweetie! Get well soon!
Vikki xoxoxoxo

susis quilts said...

dear lizzie,i hope you recover soon with your leg,but you got stitched a lot,best whishes,susi

Too many eggs said...

Hi Lizzie

hope your feeling better soon, a week off sounds kind of nice to me at the moment, i have been running around alot lately, your applique looks great

at least you had lovelt companions and a lovely project to work on

Sue said...

I hope your leg is happy now it's had a little rest. The quilt is divine but you knew I'd like it too.
Have fun with the family, I bet you're learning lots of lovely things to cook up for them from all those dvd's.

Margaret said...

Oh my -- that was a bad injury to ignore then! I hope it's all better now. Nice to have a bit of a rest for a while though, right? I loooooove your Sue Spargo quilt! It is gorgeous!!! Just amazing! Wow! The little fur ball is pretty cute too. lol! Glad the girls have been good company for you.

Bobbie Ashley said...

Lizzie, here is hoping that you heal fast and are whole again. Please, please take care of yourself. We enjoy hearing from you and looking at your beautiful creations. Rest your leg and your spirit. We are all keeping you in your prayers.
Love the puppy pictures.
Take care.

Bobbie

Meredith said...

I am glad you are getting the rest you need and taking care of yourself. The quilt looks great. What is the back ground fabric is it wool? It looks so soft. I have learned the hard way that I have to come first and that was a gift. take care infections can be serious.

Robin Hill Quilts~Eileen G. said...

Wow Lizzie, that turned out to be a very big deal running into your oven door....dressing changes and two rounds of antibiotics is some serious business~I was a nurse in my former life and am so glad you are turning a corner....I will be sending some healing prayers across the pond~ ♥ Eileen

simplestitches said...

what a cheeky little face at the end of the post!
Glad that you are on the mend...and you're right, we don't take care of ourselves until something happens....
Your quilt is just beautiful, very bright and happy!

Lynne said...

Hope you are soon back to full use of your leg.

DD and I couldn't help chuckling at that doggy photo!

Sue-Anne said...

Your Sue Spargo quilt looks amazing!!!! I am pleased your leg is on the road to recovery and how cute is that little baby of yours! Have a lovely time with your family on Sunday.

Micki said...

Hope you are better soon! I love your applique quilt.
Micki

CHRIS said...

Hi Lizzie,your quilt is stunning wish mine was happening but alas I haven't done any more yet. That muddy face is just like my Lily's always digging. My three are all turning up their noses to dinner this past week or two. Four new dog foods still not good enough I think they must be holding out for the roast chicken dinner.Happy days. Chris

DeeDee said...

hahaha! I love that doggie... so cute.. nice work to Lizzie

Lurline said...

Mend that leg and love your Crimson Tweed!
Big Hugs - Lurline♥

Sandra Henderson said...

How are you!?!? Is your leg all better now? I sure hope so! Well, you are preaching to the choir girl!!~I am the same way!!! This move has really shown me how I do not have the energy I use to have, nor the stamina. I thought I had pneumonia last week. I lost my voice, really scared me. It has been a wakeup call for me... I hate it. I am going to start to walk, the pool is good for exercise now...try to strengthen myself. That is what worries me most of getting older. Not the wrinkles, extra weight on me, but the loss of my strength and independence one day?!?! now way! I'm not going down fighting! lol
But, yes, I think of everyone else first also. Just how I was raised I guess. Not a bad thing, for everyone else! lol
Wonderful photos!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin