Monday, 16 May 2011

Weekend roundup...

Had a great day on Saturday with Jodie, Annie, Deborah, Bellinda, Rachael and Jan...
You can read all about our 'staff meeting' on Jodie and Annie's blog, I, being a good blogger, left my camera in the car!! What's with that? I've done it a few times now, just can't be bothered dragging it around, perhaps I need a tiny camera to keep in my handbag? But that would really defeat the whole purpose of having a 'big gun' DSLR I guess..! Anyway, a good day fondling fabrics at Millrose, then a delicious lunch at the Mill Cottage next door..
Yesterday, before my stupidity (more on that later), I was busy cooking and baking because these people were coming for an early dinner.....



...our youngest daughter Sarah and her partner Matthew, obviously totally engrossed in whatever it is her Dad is holding court about..
and...





...our youngest son Chris and his partner Annie...
It was lovely to see them up here, even if they did complain about the cold..! Well, all except Matthew who, coming from a Minnesota winter, wasn't too bothered by it really..
We had a lovely dinner of Roast Beef followed by Raspberry Ripple cake with cream and raspberry sauce, creme caramel's and this....





..Pumpkin Pie. Sarah asked me to make it as it's one of her favourites and the American in the room was suitably impressed, well they took the leftover pie home so I think it was a winner!!
It really needed to be because when I was making it I did a really, really stupid thing..!!!
I was putting the pie in the oven and I turned around to get the small one (for Mum and Dad) off the block when I spotted ants on the bench - again!! So instead of finishing what I was doing first, I moved away, killed the ants (before they could get to the crushed raspberries) wiped them up then turned and walked back to the stove. Totally forgetting that the oven door was down!!! Yep, glass door + shin = hole in leg!! I'm so lucky that I missed my actual shin bone by about 2mm. It's a substantial hole though as I hit the corner of the door. I guess I should have gone off for stitches, but really, I had pies in the oven..??? This morning I'm a bit sore and sorry I have to say and I know that I really should have got some treatment, but Sunday afternoon in the Emergency Room, I don't think so!! I have got sterile dressings on it and I am very concious of checking for infection, so don't worry, I'm looking after it really well. Having scars doesn't bother me but I do like to walk properly on two legs!!
I'll be fine, we usually are aren't we? Not a busy week this week so I'm going to have my leg up and resting for most of it I think. I've got my regular computer class to teach tonight, then nothing really until Patchwork on Thursday so two and a half days to rest up sounds perfect to me, I might even get some more done on these...





My Crimson Tweed on the left and the Japanese quilt I'm making on the right, I'm loving the colours on this one. A bit dark and utilitarian isn't it? It reminds me of the photo's I've seen of vintage everyday Kimono's, that's the look I was aiming for anyway..
I'm looking forward to quilting this, I thought I might do big stitch in brown? Suggestions gratefully recieved...!
xxx



14 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh gosh, I hope your leg is okay! That sounds like something I would do. Once I managed to take a tumble right over the open dishwasher door, landing on my knees very painfully. Not good -- and the same idea! Ugh.

How lovely that you got to have your kids and their mates visit! Nice that you got together at your quilt store too with your friends. Lucky! Love your two projects. The Sue Spargo goes without saying. And the Japanese quilt -- so cool! I love it!

Sue said...

Good health to your poor leg! Nice sounding dinner anyway.
I love your quilts in progress. Spent this morning watching Sue Spargo's interview with Alex and Tim. So inspiring.
Hope you and your leg have a good rest.

Sue-Anne said...

I hope your leg heals up ok, sounds very nasty. I wish I was at your house for dinner last night, looking ast all that food is making me hungry.

Your projects on your design wall look fantastic!

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Ouch ouch ouch! Good to have some projects on the go to distract you some.

mdgtjulie said...

Both of your quilts look great. Glad you had a good dinner, and I'm sorry to hear about your leg. I hope resting it up helps you heal fast!!

Lynne said...

I do hope your leg is better soon. Lovely quilts, I especially love the Crimson Tweed.

I've never had pumpkin pie; my dad used to like gramma pie, is it similar (not that I've ever had that either)?

Sue B said...

Love the quilts, the Crimson tweed is my pick, I am loving anything with birds in it at the moment.

Robin Hill Quilts~Eileen G. said...

I will have a piece of your pie Lizzie~looks yummy!! Isn't it the best having the family around the table for a good meal and conversation? Take good care of your leg...oh my...when you least expect it...♥ Eileen

Karen said...

Lizzie!!! Are you OK? I can't believe you didn't go to the doctor for it. More importantly I hope you can still sew - it wasn't your machine leg was it??

baukje said...

Hope your leg is better. the pie looks so delicious! Looks like a good family meal.

Kate said...

Yeouch!! Sounds painful. I do stuff like that all the time. Must be something about wanting to do too many things at once. I really hope it heals quickly and you are running around before you know it. x

Too many eggs said...

wow what a busy weekend you had

your pumpkin pie looks great, i have made one a few times, a Donna Hay recipe, it's really nice. think i better go dig up that recipe.

your quilting looks great...love the Japanese inspired blocks.

hope your leg is feeling better

Appalachian Quilts said...

Your quilts on the design wall look great! Isn't it great when the kids come home? Mine always arrive for a good meal! :)

Sandra Henderson said...

Good LORD!~I'm reading this in reverse...
What a scare that was! Sure hope you are okay now.
Lovely pie, Lovely children (young adults), lovely quilt on the TABLE!!!~ Lovely everything!
You sure do deserve the domestic goddess of the year award!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin