Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Another top finished..

I seem to be firing on all cylinders this week. I finished my Japanese top today, I think I told you that three of us are making this at my Thursday patchwork group....





..the colour is really terrible I'm afraid, it's gone 5 in the afternoon and nearly dark so I had to use a flash. I'll try and get a better shot tomorrow at the community house, the lighting is certainly better than here...
Did you spot the little Miss curled up on the chair? This is my hand sewing/quilting corner of my sewing room and last night it looked like this...





...ooohhh, I do love that quilt but boy, oh boy it's going to be hard to hand quilt. I don't know whether it would have been better to cut away behind the applique..? But doing that would have taken away the lovely built up effect that the layers of wool achieved..! I decided to go with the Perle thread and I'm glad now that I did.


The girls had a bit of a spat today, the first time they've actually done that, over a couple of bones of course! Miss Martha thought that she should have both of them and stood over Miss Molly, intimidating her, after she was told off and the offending bones disposed of she retreated to here...





..it was almost a 'so there' thing. You know, I can't have what I want so I'll take something of yours..!!


Are you tired of seeing outside my window yet? I took this late this afternoon...





...another glorious day, well it was the first day of winter, freezing this morning at well below zero but the sun shone all day and this was just as it was setting behind our hill. A deep golden colour with the haze of smoke from the chimney's, I'd just put wood on the fires and it was drifting past my window....


So, I'm off to put dinner out. Big bowls of soup, potato and leek for me, zucchini and vegetable for the Railway Man who's been home for the week after a close call on the train on Saturday night. People that decide to stand on railway tracks and wait for the next train to hit them have no idea what they are doing to the person who might be behind the controls!!
XXX

ps. he (the railway man) is fine and no, he didn't hit her, he managed to stop the train just short of her, which I guess didn't make her day, but hey....tough luck!!

19 comments:

Posie Patchwork said...

Great work Lizzie!! Yes, very cute puppy, bet she keeps you company while you sew. Enjoy your Thursday sewing group, sounds wonderful, love Posie

Jen said...

I relish all those photos from your window and envy Misses Martha and Molly the ability to just sit there and gaze out on every day of the year. Your japanese top is once again lovely too. You go girl!
PS. Love to the railway man...hope he's utilising this week to his and your advantage!

Melody said...

Beautiful photos and I just adore seeing and hearing about Miss Molly and Miss Martha.
Sorry to hear about the railway man's experience - people don't think of how their actions can impact on other people and I know because I have a railway man son.

Jodie said...

Thoughts to railway man - its a tough gig.
Hows your leg holding up? are you still resting???

Annie said...

Your quilt looks great Lizzy, and no, I will NEVER tire of looking out your window. That is a magazine shot!!!! A kiss for the Railway Man

Sandra Henderson said...

Beautiful QUILTS!~ no, never grow tired of looking out your window... What a lovely sewing nook you have! I have always felt the same for applique and cutting away!~thinking to myself, why? I mean, what about the old days when the idea was to keep warm!??! Oh, I'm way too practical! Thanks for a wonderful visit, I've missed coming to see you... XO

Catherine said...

Oh Mr Railway Man - I do hope you're okay and that Ms'not thinking' has done some thinking - it is certainly not fair on those left behind!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the corner of your sewing room and could never tire from the view from your window *sigh* just so pretty

Judith said...

How awful for the Railway man. Not a very nice thing to have to live with if he had hit her.I wonder what was so terrible for her to do something like that. But anyway back to your quilt and window picture. Watch you dont over do it hand quilting in the thick areas, but I bet it's going to be fantastic when it's finished. The veiw from your window is great, however do you drag yourself away from it?

Marls said...

love the Japanese quilt-what a great effect the 'outline ' bit of the block gives.
Keep the photos from the window coming-what a glorious view you get. Looks like your first day of winter was nicer than ours!

Margaret said...

Oh my gosh! Your poor hubby! I'm glad he's ok -- and she's ok too for that matter. Poor guy!

I love your latest quilt finish! Love your comfy sewing corner too! And that Sue Spargo quilt -- makes my heart go pitter patter. sigh.... Love seeing the munchkin in the pic of your Japanese quilt. So cute! Bummer about the spat about the bones. Dear dear.

Your garden is still so beautiful, even at the start of winter. I never tire of seeing it myself. :D

Bree said...

poor Railway Man. I had another Railway Man tell me once it was the source of most of them quitting and/or retiring. He did the right thing and hopefully he'll be back riding the rails in a few days.

Fiona said...

Gosh I hope your railway man can retire soon and get out of that place - I remember the "louts" incident..... Love your corner and quilts and your window view is always gorgeous.

Hugs - Fee X

Sew Useful Designs said...

Sweetie, I NEVER tire of looking outside your window... always such a lovely view!

I'm glad your lovely Railway Man is okay... it must be one of the hardest things in the world to deal with; I have the greatest admiration and respect for all train drivers.

Loads'a love, Lizzie!

Vikki xoxoxoxo

ps. I have a really gorgeous word verification: "skies" How refreshing and beautiful is that? Especially after looking out of your sun-filled window!!!

Lynne said...

It certainly is a lovely view outside your window!

We are having sunshine for the first day this week - hurrah!

Glad the Railway Man is okay; must have been a shock to the passengers as he pulled the train up quickly!

Francien said...

Wauw Lizzie...that quilt is awesome too...but i just love your Crimson Tweed quilt...could not comment on that so i try here too....hope Blogger is allright after a few changes...and that vies from your window...who would`nt like that!!and Miss Martha was in a bad mood was she?! and it sure made your railwayman`s day by not hitting her..
greetings Francien....and you sure have a lovely "quiltin"gplace"

mdgtjulie said...

Wow, what a gorgeous shot out your window!! It's beautiful! You quilt top looks great. I love the layered look of the squares. And hey, sometimes a dog's gotta be a dog, right?!? I'm glad he didn't hit the woman on the tracks. I can't imagine the nightmares something like that would cause! Glad to know he is okay!

Carolyn said...

Love your corner and quilts and your window view is always gorgeous. Very cute puppy!

Homeowner Insurance

baukje said...

The japanese is top is really lovely. A hug for your poor railwayman!!

Micki said...

Your quilt is just gorgeous! It is a charming pattern.
Your garden is also so inviting!
Micki

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin