Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Playing catch up...

This girl has been here for the long weekend...





..and as you can see, we spent a fair bit of it baking and cooking, as you do..! Cakes and choc chip cookies to take home for school treats for the rest of the week. We also made lots of soup so she's taken some of that back too, lovely and warming after school, especially when it's just in the 'fridge ready to go..!!
We also did quite a bit of this...





..her Mum wanted some new pot holders so Sam decided that she would make them. She's made a couple of things before when she's been here but this was the first time she had to line up seams. Her first attempt turned out like this....





!!!! I told her once how to butt them together and off she went, she just 'got it' the first time, I can tell you that I was rather impressed...





..so was she when they were finished obviously! I did do the binding for her, didn't think we should spoil the euphoria by trying binding too..!!
We (read me) made woolly wrist warmers for her and one of her sisters, plus cut out another pair for Caitlin which I'll finish ready to give to her on Friday, forgot the photo's but they are just plain navy felted wool (black for Caitlin and green for Eden). They had to be plain and in school colours so that they could actually wear them to school. The mornings are cold and wet, if not frosty too, so they need them first thing, they like the 'armies' or wrist warmers as they leave their fingers and thumbs totally free. Got to be able to text you know...!!!
So anyway, her Mum and Matthew (and the other three kids) came up yesterday to pick her up. They were all impressed with her potholders and of course very impressed with the cookies and cake, the soup was just 'so so' according to the kids. Sarah was happy to have a couple of meals that she doesn't have to cook anyway..


After they left yesterday I built the fires up, parked myself on the lounge with my feet up on the footstool. Turned on the TV to Lifestyle Food and spent the afternoon quilting my Crimson Tweed (big news coming later this week.....eeeekkk!!) and watched The Little Chocolatiers for four hours, sigh, I had a really huge craving for chocolate when it finished...!
So, catch up?? Today I decided that I just had to catch up with all my bee blocks. I've been so bad lately, so today was it...



This one and ....



this one, which really isn't an insipid washed out colour, are for Emma from my Flickr group bee. She sent some yellow fabrics and asked us to add some of our own for two random blocks, they really are lovely yellows, today's such a crappy day for photo's (I'm blaming the volcano in Chile, everybody else is).


These are for Melina, her month on The Bee Balm was May. She asked us to make her double Ohio stars in greens...





..and yes, they're lovely greens too! I had a layer cake of I think 'Love Me'? Anyway, the ones' with the trees and cupcakes and it just worked out that the colours were right for both lots of blocks..





I've still got Kate's block to make for June and Sue's fabric should be here this week too, so I feel that I'm back on track 'cos it's still June (isn't it?) and I've only got those to go...phew!! So I can go back to the TV, the fire and Crimson Tweed. Soup's made for tea (I think we've got enough for a week) so I don't need to do anything else but sit and sew......sigh! Are you jealous?
xxx

13 comments:

Julie said...

yep, jealous! only 'cos poor hubby has been sick with a horrible bug and i've been floored with my silly back, which means lots of catch up jobs through the week. if i'm really good, i may be able to get it all done tomorrow, which will leave the rest of the week for 'me time'.... no other plans this week.
your blocks are lovely lizzie, and how about that girl of your lining up the seems first pop huh? looks like she's inherited some of your talent. :) xox

Kate said...

Looks like a delightful weekend full of good things! What a gorgeous girl...not camera shy at all! and naturally talented it seems.

Julie said...

ummm, and are ya lovin' the spelling? lol

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Oh so jealous - I am surrounded by boys in this house and would love a sweet girlie to do girlie things with occassionally - sounds like alovely fun weekend! Lucky both of you!

Lynne said...

Sounds like you both had a lovely weekend.

Sue said...

Great up catching! Sam must have inherited your sewing genes. Such talent.

Cathy said...

Oh Lizzie they would adore time with you at your house, never a dull moment AND cooking AND eating AND sewing all in the same day!!! Sam made great potholders! You didn't mention what type of soup it was (or maybe you did and I can't read properly!!!). Glad you got time to put your feet up after all the blocky work you have done. xo

A Quilter Awakens said...

LOVE the determination and enthusiasm in that young lady's face. Thanks for sharing with us. Karmen

Margaret said...

Aw, your GD is so cute! She should be proud of herself for making those potholders -- great job and so pretty! Glad you had fun together. I have the feeling you are a fun grandmother to have! Love the blocks for the Bee Balm too. And yes, I'm envious -- I want to sit and sew too! Can't wait to hear what the big news is on Crimson Tweed! Can't wait to see it again too....

Angie said...

That girl has some serious natural talent for sewing, doesn't she? :) Totally awesome job!! I've been doing this for how many years now? and mine still don't match up that perfectly! :D The food sounds scrumptious---and the colors in your blocks are so light and Springy (it's Spring here :d)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I can't believe how she matched her seams first time around! She's a natural! So what's next a queen size quilt?? :o)

Deb said...

Looks like you had a fabulous weekend and your grand daughter is a natural!

Glad you got some sewing catch up. I love your crimson tweed - just beautiful. Is the wool hard to hand quilt?

mdgtjulie said...

Wow, Lizzie. You've got lots going on!! Love the greens, they look great! And the C is for Cupcake square is just too cute!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin