Monday, 20 June 2011

Woolly Weekend...

I've spent the weekend playing with wool...





...and fabric too of course....





..I'm not quite sure what these are all going to end up like..





...I do know that there will be a Christmas theme running through...





...but I don't really want it to be 'obviously' Christmas and nothing else!
I told you that youngest daughter was desperate to have my Crimson Tweed? Well, no, she's not having it (not until I'm out of here feet first so to speak!) so I thought that I would just potter around with some wool and fabric and see what comes out of it in the end. I do have to make enough blocks to make several (four actually) woolly Christmas quilts, so I thought I would make blocks until I have enough for four wall quilts, then put them together...somehow! That way I won't get to the finish of two and really not want to do anymore, plus all four will have some of the same fabric running through, a connection that somehow will link them all together even though they don't all see one another or all speak to one another for that matter! I'm using some of the bits of left over fabric from my Crimson Tweed as well so there will be a connection back to my quilt too, does that make sense??


I finished two more of my online Bee blocks before the weekend and I'm really, really happy with these two. This is for my Flickr group and Sue wanted everyone to make her 'snowglobes', she sent the hand dyed background fabric and the fabric for the snow globe bases and asked everyone to develop their artistic side and put something novel in the globes...!
These are mine...





I don't have any novelty fabric so I decided to applique something that was relevant to me in the globes. I was happy that I found the snowflake fabric hiding in my stash, I think it works and Sue is happy with them so that's all that matters. Going to be an awesome quilt Sue...

Cold wind blowing today and I'd like to stay home but I've got my computer lesson to teach this afternoon, I've made the dinner already, Shepherds Pie ready to pop in the oven when I get home at seven tonight, will just need warming and the cheese on top melting...yum!

8 comments:

Lynne said...

Love your new blog header. Is it your house?

Great idea to make four quilts at the same time so you don't get tired of them halfway through - very clever!

Judith said...

Your new quilt is coming along and it is looking good. Like the flower and the birds.

Sue said...

I love the idea of making 4 quilts at one go. Keeps everybody happy!

Margaret said...

Oh this sounds like a fun project with all the wooly goodness! Love the Bee blocks too! (Shepherd's Pie recipe? Is it hard?)

Francien said...

You keep "pottering"some more Lizzie...love what you have got sofar...like the flower!!...and the birds...the quilts are going to be just great!!
greetings Francien.

mdgtjulie said...

You've been busy Lizzie!! All your squares look great!

CJ Stitching and Blooms said...

Hello Lizzie,
I just discovered your blog through Sue Spargo site. I absolutely love your Crimson Tweed quilt. Truly stunning work.

I am signed up to take my first Sue Spargo class this coming Nov. here in Michigan and we will be making the Pomegranate Table Rug from the same book. I love working with wool and my first love is stitching.

Your blog is lovely and I will come back another day to have a good look around. Congratulation on your 40th wedding anniversary. Your DH sounds like my sweetie. I give thanks everyday for having him in my life.

Take care Hugs Judy

Karen said...

I like how you have combined cottons with the wools.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin