Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Road Trips, friends and renovations...



Where we live, about 2kms outside our lovely little village of about 450 souls, we have rolling hills, wedge tail eagles soaring overhead and only one neighbour! Idyllic you might say? Well it is.....most of the time!! Our one neighbour is an ageing rocker and insists on playing his music in his shed..every second week. I listen to the thump thump of his ageing band trying to retain their misspent youth and I find myself getting angry, upset, stressed and a whole range of other emotions. We've been down the road of negotiations and compromise and yes, every second week until 11pm at night IS the compromise. So the puppies and I turn up the telly and stay up until 11pm (or usually 20 past eleven 'cos he really loves to push my buttons I think) and put up with the noise.


There is a reason for the telling of this riveting tale so bear with me...


Last week, the ageing rockers better half knocked on our door and told us that said ageing rocker would be celebrating his 50th birthday with a party on Saturday night, so we might need to turn the telly up a bit higher. I can tell you that the palpitations started straight away, it's just like a panic attack for me, I get so worked up at the thought of all that noise that I find I can't breath at times..! Anyway, this would be the last weekend of holidays for the Railway Man so we decided to pack the puppies and some clean underwear into Ruby and take off for the weekend...



..they were happy to be on the road and protecting their car and people from any and all invaders while we turned the car north, up the Sunraysia Highway to get here..





Finally we got to give Sue her quilt, third time lucky getting here. Do you remember last time I got caught in the floods and had to turn around and come home? Just as an aside, they've actually only just got some parts of the road repaired..


Anyway, I don't have photo's of my friend Sue to show you, I didn't take any photo's even though I took my camera with me. I knew as soon as I walked in to her room that I wouldn't have anything to show you, if it was me lying there I wouldn't want the world to see me, so I left my camera in my camera bag on the floor. Sue was overwhelmed and a little tearful, communication was difficult as it's hard for Sue to form words. I was terribly sad and a little heartbroken to see my friend like this. However, Megan, her daughter put the quilt up on the wall opposite her bed, where she can see it every day and between them they read every card and note that everyone had sent with blocks. I had put them all in a little fabric bag so that Sue could read how your love and good wishes came from every corner of the world...



I took this photo off Megan's facebook page, so thanks Meg....


After my visit with Sue we drove up the Calder Highway to Mildura, well we actually stayed at a very nice little 'pet friendly' unit in Wentworth which is just over the NSW border.
Sunday morning saw us walking the dogs along the banks of this...





..The mighty Murray River, just gorgeous and look at this...





...Sunshine, actual sunshine....Oh it was so sweet and warm and comforting.....sigh, it was lovely....





..these three were loving it of course....







...OK, me too. This was taken at Redcliffs at Big Lizzie, I promised the kids that I would get Railway Man to take a photo of this Lizzie with Big Lizzie...!


Look...

...they even left directions....hehehe.
I'll have to tell you about Big Lizzie in another post as this one is impossibly long already and I still want to show you the new doors and window..





We still have a fair bit of work to do, trims to put on as well as the screen doors. We still have to decide about paint, the doors are nearly 100 years old so they need some more work done. We can't decide whether or not to paint or seal them and the weather boards have to be painted and finished. That has to wait though, it's far too damp and cold to think of outdoor painting right now..!
Can you see the pair of eyes peeping over the bottom of the door?? Miss Martha can just jump up and see out......only just though! Funny girl...


I'll put the rest of my photo's from the weekend on my photography blog here later in the week...


We were very glad with our decision to go away for the night when today a friend said that there were so many cars and people he couldn't get near our gate when he dropped in to see if we were home..!! He said that the noise could be heard a kilometre away...!!! Best decision we've made for a while I'd say....
xxx

20 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh my gosh! Yes, a very very good decision! Wow! We have a neighbor who drives us batty -- he has loud cars that he will sit and vroom vroom over and over in his driveway, then leave them running (very loudly) for ages at a time. I can't stand them! And Mia jumps every time. We haven't said anything to him, but other neighbors have and it does no good. We also get loud parties once in a while, but that aging rocker would drive me nuts! My sympathies!

Looks like you had a great road trip with the girls and guy though. I'm glad Sue liked her quilt. And the doors and window look wonderful! Must be nice to have a handy guy around the house. No can do with my guy. Oh well, at least he can fix our computers for us -- most of the time. :D

Tiffany in Topeka said...

What a great get-away for you! At least they were thoughtful enough to warn you ahead of time! I hate finding out the hard way!! :)

Much love from KS, USA! ~Tiffany

baukje said...

Thanks for your 'chat 'post (lol) I love to hear these stories .... What a good decision you made. Lovely pictures of the railwayman with the se two sweeties and of you! You look happy... And this adorable picture of those two sneaky eyes.....GREAT

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

Oh I'm so pleased Sue has her quilt now ... wow .. I feel so lucky to have sent a block xxxx

Kate said...

Ha ha! Big Lizzie and Little Lizzie - that's so cute! Very nice to get away once in a while...and ohhh! the sunshine last weekend....gorgeous!

Sue McB said...

What is it about ageing rockers? I have one down my road too - very noisy at times! Glad that Sue has at last got her quilt - you deserve a medal for putting all those blocks from generous folk together. I hope Meg and Sue comfort to know so many people care.

Leanne said...

Lovely post. The quilt looks fantastic. Sad some neighbours are like that. Love your textures and isn't the mighty river Murray ....... Mighty. Love the last snap those little eyes having a sticky beak.

Diamant said...

I empathise with your rockers problem. Until he left a couple of years ago I had a neighbour who set up a workshop of electric saws, sanders etc just the other side of the fence from my living room in the modern equivalent of a tin shed !

Lynne said...

Looks like you made a great decision and had a wonderful weekend!

I, too, cannot stand loud noise. I live in suburbia, after 20 years living here I still feel a little claustrophobic in our backyard! We had a longer yard with a reserve behind us in our previous house.

One of our neighbours thinks it's reasonable to occasionally have the radio on loud enough for us all to hear it, on a station I find obnoxious! Another neighbour occasionally takes his two year old out on the motorbike and revs it up and down the street!

I want to scream; I just want peace and quiet - which, I have to admit, we have most of the time. Right now, all I can hear is the sound of my typing, the battery-operated clock in my studio ticking and the mynahs telling the cat off in our backyard! But, it's mid-morning on a week day, and most people in our street of sixteen houses are away from home.

Julia said...

Looks like it was a very good idea to leave home for a while, Lizzie...some people never grow up!
We have a neighbour who every morning at 6.30am revs up his souped up car before leaving for work...our wake up call!
Lovely to see Sue's quilt again.
Julia ♥

mdgtjulie said...

Glad you took a trip then, Lizzie, and glad you got to enjoy some sunshine. We have a little too much here right now, and would like it to be cooler, lol. Here's hoping you get the doors all finished up and curtains over the window! The girls look like they had a great time, as did you and your dh!

Sue said...

Such a gorgeous story Lizzie.
Neighbourhood music has to be better than cars revving for hours but both need to be left for weekends if just to recover your ears! Miss Martha's peeking over the door left me laughing out loud.

Fiona said...

Yes a great decision I think and a wonderful memory making trip to boot !! Love your fur babies and I was only wondering about your doors the other day - They are gorgeous and look great installed. Miss Martha is a cheeky one isn't she?? Hugs - Fee XX

Julie said...

Yes, an excellent decision to go away for the weekend I think. Lovely to finally give Sue her quilt too. Love the Big Lizzie shot. :0)

Annie said...

I've been lurking for a while checking out your quilts and photography but just had to comment today. How wonderful that Sue finally got the quilt - you are a very special person to co-ordinate that for her. It's gorgeous.

Debs said...

Looove your doors, and what a clever little trip you had, great way to round off the leave.

Margaret said...

The weather looked better amnd brighter up north and loved the three in the park so restful.
Does Mr Railway man go up tjhat way in his little red engine ??

taylorsoutback said...

Just spotted that little pair of of eyes peeping over the door frame...puppies just can't miss a thing!!
The story of Sue's quilt is so poignant - what a beautiful gift of friendship.
I had lost all my Favorite Blogs and just re-established the list so I can keep up with all your adventures. I'm like those puppies - can't miss out on what everyone is up to!
Would be happy to send you some of our "extra" warm weather...LOL

Cathy said...

Absolutely beautiful post Lizzie! xo

Sandra Henderson said...

BEAUTIFUL sampler quilt!!!~
great photos again!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin