Saturday, 27 August 2011

Life....

It's been a strange week this week! I've had things on my mind,   things to sort out in my head,   things to do,   places to be,   people to visit,   decisions to make...  
Have you ever been so sure that something is so much the right thing to do, that you worry that it won't happen..??  Do you ever wonder what made you take a certain road in life? One decision that changes your path? Do you believe in fate? 
These are quite rhetorical questions, I'm not expecting you to bare your soul, to analyse your life or mine for that matter. More a putting down of thoughts, a bit like speaking things out loud I guess! I often find myself speaking my thoughts out loud, especially when I have to make a decision about something, it just seems to be clearer really. Words spoken out loud can't be taken back can they? There's no delete button for words spoken is there..? Like Pandora's Box, don't open it unless you're sure you want to let out what's in there...!!
Very philosophical today aren't I? Perhaps it's the approach of a changing season, renewal, new life, rebirth....

Spring is ever so slowly creeping in, next Thursday is the first day of spring here down under, it's also Miss Samantha's 14th birthday...                                                               
They're all growing up so quickly, how can I be a grandparent to teenagers, four teenagers and another counting down until her 13th birthday next year...?? Yesterday was our eldest daughters birthday, her pupils, aged around 8, all sang happy birthday, gave her small gifts and home made cards and one of the more 'forward' boys asked her how old she was, quick as a flash she told them she was 26 and even quicker came back the reply...."Hmm, 26, well that's not too old, I thought you were older than that..." I wonder what they would have said had she told them her actual age of 38..??
This girl on the left, Sam, can't wait to grow up, they're all the same. Her cousin, Caitlin, is 3 month younger and doesn't turn 14 until November and last night told us that she can't wait and it is of course 'not fair' that they spend 3 months of the year not being the same age and more to the point, 3 months where her cousin is older in the writing of her age..?? 


I want to tell them to slow down, enjoy these years because they're fleeting, gone before you blink it seems. They're good years, the young teen years, the boys, the music, the friends, all memories to be treasured and stored away, ready to pull out and remember when you're working hard for a dollar, finding money to pay the mortgage, bringing up kids, shopping for groceries.....!!


They would of course laugh, life is never ending when you're 13 going on 14, don't have time to stop and remember the smell of the roses and really Nana, the roses will be back again next year and then we'll be 15....!!!!


Spring, visions of sunshine, blossom, daffodils and new green leaves. I bought myself some beautiful yellow roses today, I decided that I deserved them after such a strange and thoughtful week.


The house is already full of daffodils  and for me, they're the smell of spring, not so much a perfume, Daffs don't really have one do they? But it's just a hint of something warmer, something sunnier. Last year was the first year that we could actually pick the Daffodils to put in the house and still have lots outside, they've multiplied in the house garden really well, now it's time to start planting them out on the acres. 
I want to see a sea of gold........."a host of golden Daffodils..." I want to see the blue of fields of Bluebells to remind me of my forgotten English youth...!! 
Perhaps that's what it's about, all this pondering of life! Someone special told me this week, that things that come out of the mists of time make you sit back and think...!! 




My motivation seems to have vanished into the mist this last week too, so I'll be back later to tell you what I'm going to be up to. If you find it hiding somewhere, my motivation, give it a little reminder that I'm waiting for it, somewhere back here with my head in the mists of time....
xxx


ps. stay safe and out of the way of Irene, I'm thinking of all my friends in her path...
xxx

19 comments:

Rebecca said...

Very deep today .
They say as we get older we spend more time looking at the path we have travelled, where the young only look forward . I to as a teenager looked forward with all the high ideas in the world but life is funny and the path I am on is not the one I had seen for my self . But I love my life and take each twist and turn as it comes , pot holes as well ;)
Big Hugs
Bec

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Life is a colourful patchworked path.
And somewhere along the road you go from pushing the accelerator to trying to put the brakes on!
Lovely daffodils!

Judith said...

Bah! you have been working the grey matter.When I was young I thought all sorts of things that would happen in my life. One thing I never imagined was living in another country. Life is strange, I have trodden the path and I am happy. Not seen any motivation lurking around here sorry

Posie Patchwork said...

Youth is wasted on the young!!
Wow, how did all your grandchildren suddenly become teenagers. I have 10 nieces & nephews who are teens or worse - 22, 21 & two are 20 . . . & i'm 36, now how on earth did that happen?? They are zooming through Uni & into careers, wow. I'm holding onto my 4 children to slow them down, my baby boy is 7.5 years old now, stooooop.
Have a gorgeous weekend with clear thinking, i know what you mean, i am so desperate to move to the country, i can taste it. Love Posie

Margaret said...

Wondering and worrying sometimes they are in the same basket. Life styles change . I am looking forward to your Spring header. It has been 14 all day to day and out of the cruel wind the sun was lovely.

Sue said...

Oh Lizzie, you have been thinking deeply. Have you worked out why those years took ages to pass in childhood and now they fly past so fast we don't even notice them going. Just when you'd like a slow life it speeds up.

Cat said...

As I celebrate my baby boys 6th birthday I totally understand where you are coming from - all he wants to do is be an adult or a grown up and all I want is to stop the clock from making him grow up so fast.
Loving your spring flowers xxx

Jodie said...

Lizzie, a wonderful post. Lots of thoughts and beautiful photos. I can't believe you are the gran to teenagers...you are far too young.

Lynne said...

Ah yes, it flies by too quickly (but the young won't listen; just as we didn't!)

I'm sure I was a new mum just a couple of years ago, now I'm a grandmother - a fact I still can't get my head around after eighteen months!

Margaret said...

I've been thinking a lot about growing older recently too. I guess it's because my DD turned 21 and it made me feel so old. What's that saying? Youth is wasted on the young? :D

We're battened down for Hurricane Irene. Thanks for the good wishes. I'm hoping for the best. (The weather has been eerily still since yesterday. So still, Abnormally so to me.)

Teresa said...

Being 50 with a 14-yr-old daughter, my poor girl gets alot of deep thoughts from her old mom. Maybe we don't really figure things out until you are 50+, then I feel like I want to explain it all to her so she she doesn't make the same mistakes that I made. (Whenever you say those kinds of things to a teenager, they look at you like you have lobsters coming out of your ears...) Motivation seems to be hiding from a lot of people this week...hope you find it soon!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Janet said...

I spend a lot of time in that room of thought in my brain. Speaking it aloud helps me to make sense of things for sure. It seems a long time since I felt like a path was clearly marked for me though. I'm glad that yours seems so well lit and hope it is a good one. Love your granddaughter's photo.

Francien said...

I think my motivation has gone off with yours Lizzie...i am exhausted this last few weeks...don`t know why...the weather is so bad here lately...its moist and hot lots of rain and grey days...my bloodpressure does not agree with that very well..i am sitting here trying to make something but nothin is coming out of my hands...
13/14 .. oh...i still remember how insecure i was at that age....taller then the other kids at school...very skinny...no "boobs" showing and could not wait to turn 18 and get away from those "cilly and not understanding"parents...
how little did i know!!
greetings Francien.

Sandra Henderson said...

I am forever speaking my thoughts, my poooooor husband!~I can't help it. He is my best friend and after living on and island with him for a very long time, I just expostulate all the time. I need to be more careful of this and am doing better now that in town and have friends to talk to . lol
But, seriously, I feel like if I don't "worry" about something, which is really not worrying, it's really thinking it through via all sides of a situation, then I feel like it will not take care of itself. Life is not easy and I feel it requires a lot of "tending to".
I love your blog. we got wind n rain from Irene, but okay here. Yes, it will be bad in the upper N.E.

mdgtjulie said...

Wow, you really are philosophical today. Here's hoping you find your mojo and you decisions are the right ones. I envy you your spring, in a way. I love spring and fall the best, but my fall isn't gonna be a happy one for certain reasons, so I'd rather it was spring!!

Vivian said...

Oh Lizzie, and I was feeling blue that my youngest turned 11 the other day. Where does the time go? All we can do is try to enjoy each day and hug those who need huggin.

Take care my friend, Viv

Leanne said...

I always feel unsettled at the change of the seasons, especially at dusk more so as winter ends. I often think it's because I hate winter and so want the warmer weather to come.

Copper Patch said...

I hope you are getting some peace in the sunshine Lizzie.
Not a chance of getting those 13, nearly 14 year olds to enjoy the present....things I know now that I wish I knew then!!!
Ab xx

baukje said...

Thanks for this 'deep' post, love to read it and think about what you are talking about. Life goes far too quick....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin