Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Sometimes.....

....just sometimes, I forget how incredibly lucky I really am!! I have an awesome family that I don't see quite enough of, I still have my Mum and Dad with me  (every day that Mum still knows me is a huge bonus), I have some incredible friends both online and in my bricks and mortar life.  I live with a wonderful man who indulges my passion for creating things, a man that never complains about fabric coming into the house (no you can't have him, sorry, but just don't tell him quite HOW much fabric comes in will you :o)
Today, this man that I live with, aka my personal Gardener but better known to you as The Railway Man, suggested I go for a walk..! 
I took this suggestion in the spirit it was given as I've been whinging and whining about the weather. You know how it goes....I wish the rain would stop.....I'm over this mud......why can't we live somewhere where it's warm all year.....yada, yada, yada....!! Well for the last couple of days the sun's been shining on this little patch of earth we call our own and being the last month of winter here down under, things are starting to stir...!! Don't get overly excited for me though, this time next week it's likely to snow!! August is usually our coldest month here in the hills, but I digress.....
I promised my man I'd take myself and my Nikon off for a walk to get some shots of his beloved garden after he left for work in the Metropolis. 


So, why am I lucky, well, this.....



..is our backyard..! 
This is where I get to spend every day. 
This is our home..!!
This, my friends, is why I'm lucky..


You don't usually see the view from this angle..



This is looking back up the big driveway (on the left of the photo) towards the house (hidden behind the big Cyprus trees), back towards the view I usually show you from my window. So, come for a walk with me around the paddock..


Gum trees, I just love them, especially when they can grow and do their own thing, such character. This is one of the trees that line the big driveway....


The old...

..and the new flowers on the Banksia's, also along the driveway. I just love that you get flowers in every stage at the same time on Banksia's, the bees love them too..!


This Birch was a victim of the drought and we just haven't taken it out yet, I'm so glad we didn't pull it straight out, I wouldn't have been able to get these shots if we were tidy gardeners...


..and..

...and..




...then there's this..
 
this is pretty cool too..

Are you bored yet? Do you need a break, go get a cuppa, I'll wait..
Ready, cool...

Late winter in Victoria is Wattle time...


..and if you've ever watched our athletes and wondered why Australia wears green and gold..

there it is, that's the reason, the green and gold of the Australian bush in spring..! I don't think I know an Aussie that doesn't love Wattle, well, if you're a hay fever sufferer you might not be that keen :o( but it's awesome isn't it?

Little fluffy yellow balls of pollen, I love, love them. We have three hay fever sufferers in the family and I feel for them but I love Wattle, makes me feel happy just to look at it..


Look, embryonic Gum Blossom, can't wait for this tree to flower later in the spring. It's blossom is deep pink and gorgeous..


Kangaroo Apple, I don't know it's indigenous name but I could live without it, the birds drop the seeds in their...well...droppings and it grows everywhere. The Cockatoos love it, doesn't stop them chewing on the daffodil flowers though :o(, they just chop them off. A bit like 'off with their heads' and leave them on the ground, they don't eat them, just leave them...sigh, b&%#*&y cockies!!

I love the gum nuts from last years blossom, always makes me think the ghost of May Gibbs is hanging around to check on her Gum Nut Babies :o)
From the truly Australian Gum Nut babies...

..to the quintessential English country garden, Bluebells just breaking out of the ground..


Look at the colour of this Hebe, isn't it just gorgeous, I know, it's purple and I don't do purple, but this is nature at her brightest isnt' it?

Another view looking up to the front of the house, can you see the man's stone wall? He loves that bridge...

Hazel, isn't it graceful..

This is a huge post isn't it, I guess I could come back tomorrow and blog about the rest of our walk then, but I think I'll keep going, we might not want to do the exercise tomorrow....



..Native Hibiscus, purple again  :o)




..Flowering Quince, such a sweet little flower..



Hellebore's, sweet and shy winter flowers, how lovely are they..




This is a Magnolia bud, isn't it soft? I love the halo of light on the tiny hairs...



One of the things I love about living here (in Australia) after growing up in the UK is the colour of winter, the fact that in the middle of a cold, wet and miserable winter, we still have colour and life in our gardens...


I desaturated this photo and just left the bee coloured so that you could see it?? Can you see him? I just caught him before he landed on the flower...

This is what took me out in the first place today.....Spring...awesome!



..and can I do a blog post lately without this little Miss in there somewhere? The dogs haven't been allowed in this part of the garden for weeks, it's just been too wet. So today it was roll in the long grass time and did they enjoy it...

ps: Do you like my new watermark? I thought it was about time I updated it and started using a watermark again. I love this one...

38 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks so much for a tour of some of the flora of Australia. I have lived in Canada, Michigan, England, southern China and now southern US am amazed at how different the plant life is in each place. Your backyard is just a delight.

Jodie said...

What a post ! What a garden... I cannot believe all that winter colour lizzie, its beautiful.

Kaz said...

Ohhh Lizzie i do so love your amazing talent. Sighhhhhh......
I know your garden is amazing but your photos are awe inspiring!

Helen said...

Love the photography, love Australian bush, love your watermark. Have I left anything out? Yes, love the Australian light. Feeling a little homesick. One question: please tell me what software did you use to make your watermark. Thanks.

Sue-Anne said...

Lizzie, your photography is AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your backyard with us, I have enjoyed every photo. Your watermark is gorgeous!

ann hermes said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your photos. It is so exotic looking to me.

beebee said...

lovely photos of a beautiful place. Yes, we sometimes we forget just how lucky we are!
You live in an incredible yard!

Too many eggs said...

what a gorgeous garden.... i truly loved the walk....

you are very lucky and your garden is just gorgeous maken me feel like getting my camera out....

one question though how on earth did you create your gorgeous watermark it's fantastic.....

Margaret said...

You take such amazing pictures. So beautiful! You're so right -- we should count our blessings every day, shouldn't we? Including the lovely little furball too. lol! Thanks for the walk -- it was lovely!

yorkie mom said...

You are a lucky lady! Lucky you realize it also! Your yard is beautiful. Thanks for the tour! I truely enjoyed it!

Lynne said...

Thank you for the tour of your place - it's lovely!

And isn't it great that spring is in the air (even if we have to suffer through another cold snap or two!)?

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Railway Man is very wise - a walk in your garden with the camera would be a wonderful tonic! Beautiful photos - thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

Beautiful post! I love seeing the strange (to me) flowers and foliage you have there.

I loathe summer--it's supposed to be 95F today--so how about if we trade places a few months each year? You can come here to Ohio, USA June-September, and I'll go there. Deal?

(Word Verification: "alcunds" As in, "It takes alcunds of people to make the world go 'round!")

Bobbie Ashley said...

Lizzie,

Such a beautiful post. When all here in South Texas is drying up, it is so wonderful to see such a gorgeous winter garden. Always enjoy your garden and flower posts. Even the little fur balls too, they are just delightful, so happy to be in the moment. Maybe we could all learn a lesson from that...I know I could.
It is 105 here today and I am literally counting down the days until Fall. Thanks ever so much for sharing with us. Nothing like getting your hands or feet into the dirt, it grounds us and puts it all in perspective.
Love your water mark, may we ask how it was accomplished?

Cheers,
Bobbie

Marls said...

Great photos Lizzie and what glorious flora and fauna you have surrounding you. I have to say I do miss the cockatoos even though they are destructive. I used to feed them in my backyard in Brisbane and loved their cheeckiness.

Debby said...

Beautiful pictures! And such clear colors. i never get those clear pictures....:-(

Greetings from Debby

mdgtjulie said...

Wow, Lizzy, you live in a gorgeous area. Love the flora of the area. Thanks for taking us on your walk.

Kate said...

Ahhh Lizzie , you brightened up my cold wintry Sydney city-slicker morning!! Now I'll have a secret smile on my face thinking of your colourful garden and your infectious enthusiasm as I travel to the office with all the other black-clad workers.
We need more colour and smiles in our lives!
Thankyou.

Jeanette said...

Thanks for the walk around your yard Lizzie. Such wonderful sights to see. Love the watermark. How do i get one? Happy Stitching,

Cathy said...

Lizzie I could gaze at your photos all day. I esp love the lichen and the bee and that gorgeous stone wall, have you photographed a quilt on that yet? Loved the tour! xo

Narelle said...

I loved every photo!
Thankyou for the stroll around your gorgeous garden.

Lynda said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos.

Sue said...

It's so beautiful Lizzie. I hope you haven't worn out your "micro" I'd love to see more. Love your new watermark with the added stitching, combining your two loves! Thanks for sharing.

Sue said...

Oops, I meant "macro".....

Nancy in MT said...

Lizzi,
stunnng post and photos, learned wattle, all the colors, inspiration for a quilt. And I see the bee, you have an amazing talent. Nancy

Fiona said...

I loved walking around with you Lizzie - There is so much to be thankful for.

Hugs - Fee X

Francien said...

All has already bin written by the "girls" who left a comment before me Lizzie...i could copy a sentence from every reaction....the pictures are so stunning...its a joy to look at them....its summer here in Holland but very dull and grey and rainy so they have brightend up my day...thank you for sharing....greetings Francien.

Jen said...

Lizzie Love, you have some incredible shots there Sweet Pea. I love the 'bee' photos...
I do love your 'backyard' also, perhaps not with quite the same intensity as you both do, but love it I do all the same.
Keep it up girl...perhaps you should create a book!

xxxx

terry said...

Only one word .......

Gorgeous.

Terry in So. Calif.

jen said...

Hello Lizzie,Your photography is beautiful!Yes Australia has truly an amazing countryside.The plains to the west stretch to eternity,our lovely tall eucalypt gum trees.I also love our golden wattle.I have been planting some Australian natives in the bush across from my front door.

Reme said...

Gracias por compartir este reportaje fotográfico que para mi es muy exótico, adoro las acacias mi calle se llama de las Acacias pero son distintas de flores blancas. saludos

Leanne said...

Wonderful walk and fantastic lighting morning light is so kind and LOVE LOVE LOVE the bees bottom.

Karen said...

Breathtaking Lizzie.

Chookyblue...... said...

hey gorgeous pics........when it rains next tell it to stop at my place instead of yours.........beyond desperate here........

Margaret said...

Gotta agree, a feast of photos.

Little Nan said...

We've been holidaying in the UK for 4 months and I miss home so, so much! I live in Geelong and your photos just remind me how much I love where I live and how amazing our country really is! Love Kelly

baukje said...

Amazing pictures, those gum tree fruits pictures are so gorgeous . Thank for sharing this. What a wonderful country you live in.....

Sandra Henderson said...

ABSOLUTELY stunning photos!!!~
girl, you are SOOOO talented! what an amazing part of our world you live in! thank you for sharing it with us! XO

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin